Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, have always got great health, training an behavior etc. here. have never posted so spare with me, I'm fairly new to bully breed, although I've had dogs all life rots n labs mostly. Second pit ,I think he is two yrs old almost. I now am pretty sure he's from what you's call Byb , Unfortunately. not the route il go in future . Now being informed .Had took him in on west side at 7 wks 5 lbs. Around 60 lbs now healthy . Il post pics later. Neutered, microchipped at acs .
He gets crazy with me sometimes out of nowhere , loud barking the circles, show teeth , if I ignore or turn my back he usually gets worse and will try to scratch or bite my pant leg. If I come at him if he can't get away hell lay down n close his eyes. I don't hit him never have. Just scruff taps n grabs.timeouts He has a cage. He is more stubborn or headstrong then any dog I've delt with. It is happening less often I've only had him for year and half now. Just kinda wondering if I'm handling wrong because he still does it?..

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Well how much of a work out does you dog get? Does He just want your attention? The crate should never be used as a punishment though. What do you mean by timeouts?

I do know that anytime you reward bad dog behavior by giving ANY attention (good or bad) it will not stop the behavior. The key is when he acts up you need thigmotropism your dog completely until he stops doing what you don't like. Then once he stops you praise praise praise

What do you mean circle barking?

·
Registered
901 Posts
You may be giving him mixed messages unintentionally. This is just my opinion. Beastley will come in your face and bark and growl (talk) at us if he is bored and wants to play. We get out a toy and play toss in the living room or outside. After 15 minutes he is content. He then will lay down and play with his kong, chew toy or interactive toy.

Have you worked on NILIF? Exercise, exercise, exercise. A tired dog is a happy dog. Build a spring pole and/or flirt pole, use interactive toys. You never want to use the crate as punishment or he will fear the crate. Praise him when he is doing what you want. From what I am taking of your comment....when I come at him..... he will lay down and close his eyes. What would this reason be for? Does he think you are going to scuff tap or grab him? Have you raised your hands at him? He may be trying to get a your attention or play with you and this is the only way to do it.

Have you taught him basic obedience, sit, stay, lay, leave it? I would start with the basics again. I would do this for about 10 minutes several times a day and when opportunity presents itself. Sit, wait for a meal, toy, on walks etc. Be consistent and have high value rewards whether it is small bits of chicken, hot dogs, toys. Whatever you find he really likes and have them handy when he is responding positively, say good boy and treat. Be consistent with your words once he becomes successful you can fade out the "food treats" and use a clicker if you want. I use both depending on what I am doing. If this stuff doesn't work, I would suggest a behaviorist that knows the breed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fr suggestions. Have to look up thigmotropism? And spring pole, not sure bout live in apt. He gets a lot of exercise. Ussually minimum of 1.5 hrs of walking and play, sometimes will be more play mixed in because Midwest winter . His paws pretty sensitive To Cold n salt. Wont wear bootys...Working on basic obedience since 6 months . Train with treats only. He's been in obedience classes up to intermed. Needs more work outside with distractions, when it warms up. lots n lots of praise. lots of interactive toys, an bones layin round. He sleeps either in bed with me and my girl or next to bed on his bed. His choice I know. Crate has become more were I will put him when running errands, or short work days. he doesn't mind it then , he gets yummy stuff.has always liked his crate. Oh when I come at him maye a bad choice of words.i could ignore . Say no. Look . At him .I've never raised a hand towards him... Have raised voice. Been workin on softening my own body language towards him . Readin his over last 6-8 months . Has helped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A lot of times it is before and after his dinner when he does this . By circles I mean , tuck his butt and start doin laps around my apt. Usually after exercise he does this. I don't let him do his crazy laps before or after meals. When i would put him in crate for Timeout it's 10 mins if he doesnt stop by second time. walk and play then settle for bit. Always sits stays for his meals. I guess he is almost two now ,first pup I've had on my own. Pretty sure poor guY was tooken from his litter mates too young, as of now he loves dogs.Ignores aggressive ones.? I have heavily socialized him, mabe, too much at times.at an amazing off leash, no kennel dog day care since he was pup . I need to fit more short lessons in through out day. overall Blue is settling into a fine young man.

·
Common Sense Expert
699 Posts
A lot of times it is before and after his dinner when he does this . By circles I mean , tuck his butt and start doin laps around my apt. Usually after exercise he does this. I don't let him do his crazy laps before or after meals.
I am no expert but I think your dog just gets really excited my dog Sam will do "crazy laps" if we don't go jogging at our regular time. You just need to tire him out. Maybe he has got used to what you guys usually do maybe increase the activity by five minutes or something. My dogs let me know when they're tired so pay attention to that don't over do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts