Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

My name is Jessica, but you can call me Jessie. I do not own a pitbull, but an lover of these dogs, I however own 2 German Shepherds(another breed on the BSL hitlist). I volunteer for a rescue and shelter, and since volunteering at the shelter I have grown a huge love for pitbulls. They won me over, the first one I ever met was named Stella. She was a beautiful golden colored pitbull mix, who was just a love bug. She sat right in my lap and gave me a bunch of kisses! :love2: Not only did I grow a love for them, but also decided to learn what all the fuss was about with people hating on them. I love learning about new dog breeds, especially the ones I love. I have since become an advocate for pitbulls and any breed on the BSL hitlist. I am here to learn more about pitbulls and help spread the word that these are NOT bad dogs. I get asked so many times if I am scared to go into a kennel with one when I tell people I volunteer at a shelter. Then I know fellow GSD owners who have nothing but hate for them, and get into arguments with them about pitbulls, such as recently. I just want to smack them!:stick:

But anyways, I am glad I found this forum. Its what pitties need, people who know them and are able to share their knowledge of them!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Welcome Jessie! I grew up with GSDs but now own my first pit bull. This breed is just the sweetest :) we would love to see pics of your GSDs ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
pics for sure! gsd's are one of my fav breeds. i had nver owned a pit until i started working with them here in cali, even the aggressive ones, once i get them turned around they are so sweet and loyal. i just rescued a black pit, hes 10 m/o and my best friend. i wanted a gsd therapy dog and ended up with my pit. he helps me up and down the stairs too, him throwing his weight forward really pulling helps me from falling. hes gentle too, he knows just the right amount to pull, he feels me pull back on that harness just a bit and that head goes down and he leans into the harness so i wont fall backward, he wont take another step, just puts his weight into it to keep me from falling. hes just the right size for it too, just tall enough for me. i cant go on enough about him. sorry for hi jacking your thread! pics of that gsd!!!

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Beautiful pups! Love the black one :) is he full GSD?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Beautiful pups! Love the black one :) is he full GSD?
Thank you. Yes he is. My family and I adopted him from a shelter and he was listed as a GSD Mix. But I have talked to other GSD owners and GSD breeders and they all say he is purebred GSD. Black GSDs are common, just not recognized by the general public, because they are used to the classic Black & Tan. He is just not a well bred GSD, BUT he is a great companion.:love:

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Yes, I' had a black east german dog who worked in the K9 unit for the police with my grandfather. Your black boy looks like he has some chow in him with the big fluffy tail :) nothing wrong with mixed breeds though! They tend to be the greatest dogs :D

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Tanner and Molly are super cute! Very nice dogs you have. Welcome!

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Welcome Jessie nice looking pups.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I' had a black east german dog who worked in the K9 unit for the police with my grandfather. Your black boy looks like he has some chow in him with the big fluffy tail :) nothing wrong with mixed breeds though! They tend to be the greatest dogs :D
Thats awesome! I don't see any chow in him. My neighbors had a black chow and someone down the street from him had a chow. I have asked people on my GSD forum and everyone said GSD, and I have talked to owners, breeders, adn met GSDs. Everything points to GSD. Yes his tail is fluffy, but that is a common trait, even though not bred for in GSDs.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Thats awesome! I don't see any chow in him. My neighbors had a black chow and someone down the street from him had a chow. I have asked people on my GSD forum and everyone said GSD, and I have talked to owners, breeders, adn met GSDs. Everything points to GSD. Yes his tail is fluffy, but that is a common trait, even though not bred for in GSDs.
Did your black dog come from a shelter? Adopted dogs from shelters don't come with proof that you have a 100% pure breed. Unless you have proof of lineage or know how your dog was bred you can then only call it a pure GSD. Just saying :cheers: I know a guy who has a GSD/husky mix who looks full on GSD until you get to his tail. It's curled up over his back and extra fluffy just like his husky mom ;) Dad was the GSD. It's funny how some mixed breeds can look more pure than others.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Did your black dog come from a shelter? Adopted dogs from shelters don't come with proof that you have a 100% pure breed. Unless you have proof of lineage or know how your dog was bred you can then only call it a pure GSD. Just saying :cheers: I know a guy who has a GSD/husky mix who looks full on GSD until you get to his tail. It's curled up over his back and extra fluffy just like his husky mom ;) Dad was the GSD. It's funny how some mixed breeds can look more pure than others.
Yes, but there are many GSDs who come with curly tails that come from good breeders and are sold into pet homes,its known as a "gay tail", its a disqualification and not a apart of the GSD standard, but it happens and that is why they are sold on limited registration and sold into pet homes.My other dog has a curly tail, but I saw both of her parents and they were purebred GSDs. Neither dog is breeding quality, nor are they best representation, look wise, for GSDs. And also many shelters don't know that GSDs come in more colors than black and tan or black and red. There was s sable GSD listed as a GSD Mix. I have seen purebred GSDs who come into GSD rescues that look like my boy. I have also talked to husky people and they see none. He acts and looks mostly like a GSD. Believe me, I googled the wazoo, and always came to the GSD, so thats why I call him a GSD. I can call it a purebred if I want to, because I have talked to enough people who are knowledgable about the GSD breed(breeders, trainers, etc) and read up on GSDs and I even asked them about the curling of the tail.

I am sincerely not trying to be mean, I am sorry if I am coming of as harsh.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Harsh? Mean? I'm not taking it that way so its all good ;) I'm not one to tuck tail and run or get into keyboard wars with people I don't know lol! However, I guess that's the difference between GSD people and pit bull people. If you came here talking all about your "purebred" adopted "pit bull" from a shelter we would tell you that without papers and knowledge on your dogs lineage that you can't call it a pure Apbt ;)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Is it really so different for other breeds? that other breeds will be considered a pure bred without proof or papers? That seems backasswards and no wonder why so many people have a hard time accepting their dog is just a mutt when they come here without papers and ask us what we think lol. I think it should be the same across the board for every breed, not just for possible pit bulls, but that's just my opinion, lol.

Oh and I don't think you are coming off mean or harsh either, totally respect the conversation and welcome opinions myself. Just seems crazy to me that you can call a dog a pure bred when its not proven? Are you able to compete if you chose too? Or is it for sake of argument calling it a GSD like for sake of argument my dog is an American Staffodshire terrier, but he is really just a mutt cause I don't have papers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Harsh? Mean? I'm not taking it that way so its all good ;) I'm not one to tuck tail and run or get into keyboard wars with people I don't know lol! However, I guess that's the difference between GSD people and pit bull people. If you came here talking all about your "purebred" adopted "pit bull" from a shelter we would tell you that without papers and knowledge on dogs lineage that you can't call it a pure Apbt ;)
Oh ok thats good.lol. I think if you were to ask people and talk and go out meet dogs that are like yours then that can help determine the dogs breed. Half of the dogs that are called "Pitbulls" at the shelter I volunteer at are either Bully mixes of some sort, or Lab mixed with something, but I don't think they are purebred APBT. But then again it depends on the area such as state, city, region etc. Location plays a big part in it. For example, I think here in So Cal people are breeding anything that looks like some sort of bully dog mixed dog and breeding willy nilly and calling the dog a pitbull. If I ever got a pitbull mix from a shelter I would call it just that a pitbull mix, unless I was able to determine the breed through other ways. Some breeds are easier to point out than others.

Is it really so different for other breeds? that other breeds will be considered a pure bred without proof or papers? That seems backasswards and no wonder why so many people have a hard time accepting their dog is just a mutt when they come here without papers and ask us what we think lol. I think it should be the same across the board for every breed, not just for possible pit bulls, but that's just my opinion, lol.

Oh and I don't think you are coming off mean or harsh either, totally respect the conversation and welcome opinions myself. Just seems crazy to me that you can call a dog a pure bred when its not proven? Are you able to compete if you chose too? Or is it for sake of argument calling it a GSD like for sake of argument my dog is an American Staffodshire terrier, but he is really just a mutt cause I don't have papers.
At first I called my dog a mutt/mix or whatever. I even introduced my dog on the GSD forum I am on as GSD mix and many of the people commented saying he looked purebred, even some breeders(responsible ones, that bred DDR and working lines). In some cases its easier for other breeds to be determined purebred than other breeds. I think its harder for the bullies and APBT is because of all the bad rap they are getting and people are breeding stocky, muscular bully like dogs and just slapping on the name pitbull. Right now in my shelter we have purebred GSDs, and a Lab Its easier to see which one is a Lab and which is a GSD. People get Malamutes and Huskies mixed up because they look similar. I think if there are a few breeds that look similar like with Huskies and Malamutes, or all the kinds of bully breeds out there, if they look similar then yes, it would be harder to tell if the dog was purebred or not.

Oh you most certainly can compete your dog! =) Mutts and purebreds can! Even purebreds who are not from responsible breeders. There is this thing called ILP/PAL with AKC(I don't know if UKC has anything similar) but if your dog is a mixed breed, or is a paperless, you can participate in certain events for AKC, just not the show ring. I don't think papers should be the only way to tell if a dog is a purebred, yes, it helps, but it should not be the only way to determine it. Or else why would we have breed specific rescues? You can always ask responsible breeders, people at breed specific rescues, or people who are very involved with their breed.

Papers are just papers, but they do prove that your dog is purebred, but in some cases you can tell by appearance, its best to see a few pictures, instead of just one picture.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I guess we will just agree to disagree :) I know you can compete for fun, but in order to actually place and get a championship in your breed you need to prove the history. Anyone can do anything for fun :)

Also pit bull is a generic term, it doesn't mean American Pit Bull Terrier, they are way different since one is a breed and one is a term covering lots of breeds. Saying pit bull mix would mean its mixed with a poodle or and a pit bull type dog IMO not an obvious AmStaff, APBT, or bully breed, etc. IMO its a bad term because it confuses people into thinking they own a APBT when they really have a mutt. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts