Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all im Ryan.
Was doing some research and came across this site. Great lay out btw!
I have had 2 pits in my life. ONe of which (named Ares) was stolen from me before i retired from the army. This crushed me since he was my buddy. The cops showed up and walked right back out.
I now recently picked up a red nose at a Flea Market. The male pit was locked in a small chicken sized cage. He instantly warmed up to me. Being that the area is known for illegal dog fighting i quickly purchased him. He just turned 8 weeks and is a Light liver color with green eyes. After examination i found he had a minor hernea<sp>. ( he is getting it fixed this wed) He is now 8 1/2 weeks and 10 1/2 lbs.
He had trouble using his back legs at first due to being cramped in the cage. Still having minor issues kennel training but understandable do to his past. He is quickly learning and becoming a big teddy bear. Will have pics soon.
Im glad to find other pit lovers who know how to take care of their dogs. Gives me hope for the people that shun them.

Once again Hiyas!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Well hello and welcome to GoPitbull!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
welcome, good job on rescueing that poor pup, would love to see some pics of him :)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
welcome, can't wait to see some pictures!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
awwww sweet face :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
cute pup , fullblood? do you have papers on him?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
cute pup , fullblood? do you have papers on him?
no papers ;( like i said i saved him from the flea market but his parents are both full blood and dna test confirm..just happy i could save him..went into get my 360 fixed and walked out with a bundle of joy ^_^...im getting him fixed and hernia fixed wed..poor thing

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
no papers ;( like i said i saved him from the flea market but his parents are both full blood and dna test confirm..just happy i could save him..went into get my 360 fixed and walked out with a bundle of joy ^_^...im getting him fixed and hernia fixed wed..poor thing
DNA testing is not the most reliable and should be held with a grain of salt in terms of what you get back. I've seen known hounds come back as mixes and mixes come back as "full blooded". Also no respectable breeder is going to be selling at a flea market, at least none i know of. Every "breeder" i've seen selling dogs at those kinds of places are BYB's, morons that care about $ or puppy peddlers.

I mean no offense to you and your rescue but thats what it is, you rescued him. Good for you and wish you well and hope the pup has no health issues to arise however no known history = mutt. 9 times out of 10 they aint what the "breeder" says they are..

Another reason i am telling you this is because the APBT is a working breed, a bulldog carries that name for a reason...Not the other way around, the fact there was no papers, selling at a flea market... i don't think these said pups come from proven lines.. If so they wouldn't be sold in such a manor and in short youd know what your feeding..

A new term, "Pet Bull", would probably best describe other than mutt...Nothing wrong with the name...You chose the pup for a reason so long as you care for him and love him all the same..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DNA testing is not the most reliable and should be held with a grain of salt in terms of what you get back. I've seen known hounds come back as mixes and mixes come back as "full blooded". Also no respectable breeder is going to be selling at a flea market, at least none i know of. Every "breeder" i've seen selling dogs at those kinds of places are BYB's, morons that care about $ or puppy peddlers.

I mean no offense to you and your rescue but thats what it is, you rescued him. Good for you and wish you well and hope the pup has no health issues to arise however no known history = mutt. 9 times out of 10 they aint what the "breeder" says they are..

Another reason i am telling you this is because the APBT is a working breed, a bulldog carries that name for a reason...Not the other way around, the fact there was no papers, selling at a flea market... i don't think these said pups come from proven lines.. If so they wouldn't be sold in such a manor and in short youd know what your feeding..

A new term, "Pet Bull", would probably best describe other than mutt...Nothing wrong with the name...You chose the pup for a reason so long as you care for him and love him all the same..
agreed and most the time correct..the people lost there house and gave them away due to the fact they couldnt support 7 pups..i got to meet the mom and dad..the dad has papers the mom dont..and honestly i dont care. he is my friend and will stay so lol..i have a video here see if it will work
rex being a nut - YouTube

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
another question...is there a such thing as proven lines? i mean the first pits were only about 35lbs and in Europe. I mean honestly can any one trace there dogs back to England or Ireland? This breed is argumentive in the fact that most belive they come from mixes down the line? So getting papers 20 years ago for two pits and breeding them and getting proven dose not mean at all that its a pure blood. Some even say that they are the same as a stadshire ter? I have read and have heard so much bs that its hard to say my dog is a pitbull pure and proven, when there is in fact (not that I know of) no realy way to trace some ones dog back to the late 18th and the 19th centuries. So yes I consider my dog a pitbull since both mom and dad were pits. He is my pet and i do work the hell out of them. Puzzles are my trick. Im not being rude or mean just stating what my research has led me to believe. The AKC or what ever can certify who ever they want. So I trust no one. And them losing there home is no excuse for how those pups were treated. I wanted to choke them with there own hands when i came to meet the parents.

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
another question...is there a such thing as proven lines? i mean the first pits were only about 35lbs and in Europe. I mean honestly can any one trace there dogs back to England or Ireland? This breed is argumentive in the fact that most belive they come from mixes down the line? So getting papers 20 years ago for two pits and breeding them and getting proven dose not mean at all that its a pure blood. Some even say that they are the same as a stadshire ter? I have read and have heard so much bs that its hard to say my dog is a pitbull pure and proven, when there is in fact (not that I know of) no realy way to trace some ones dog back to the late 18th and the 19th centuries. So yes I consider my dog a pitbull since both mom and dad were pits. He is my pet and i do work the hell out of them. Puzzles are my trick. Im not being rude or mean just stating what my research has led me to believe. The AKC or what ever can certify who ever they want. So I trust no one. And them losing there home is no excuse for how those pups were treated. I wanted to choke them with there own hands when i came to meet the parents.
Pit bull is a generic term boasted by media to cover a mass of over 10 breeds. What everyone is telling you is right, without papers--you have a mutt. Not trying to offend you but thats the way it is. Congrats for saving a pup and even more so for getting him neutered because unpapered dogs should never be bred,thats why the breed is in such a epidemic to begin with. As far as your statement--reputable breeders can trace thier dogs back for a LONG time. Bloodlines are nothing short of amazing when you see really how far you can dig into genetics,family tree,ect. Another common misconception is the breed is from England. I beg to differ. The breed was well established in Ireland as too. J.P. Colby's line of dogs is reported to be heavy with Irish Pit Bull blood. He even paid for Irish men to come to America if they would bring a "good bulldog or two with them."As we get into modern history the name of the American Pit Bull Terrier was changed several times and was finally changed to American Pit Bull Terrier to include the word, "pit" in the name. Out of all the breeds that are referred to as the "pitbull" the American Pit Bull Terrier is the only breed with the actual words "Pit Bull" in their name. I won't even get into the whole registry problem of naming the breed. It's laughable at best. I will say this, the American Staffordshire Terrier was started off American Pit Bull Terriers and the fact the American Kennel Club does not recognize the APBT as a purebred dog is hilarious. The original standard for the Amstaff was based on a Colby American Pit Bull Terrier. Politics and image resulted in a different strain of American Pit Bull Terrier, we call this strain, The American Staffordshire Terrier.The United Kennel Club started hosting fights and registering Pit Bulls and then the American Dog Breeders Association came along because they felt the UKC was not doing a great job representing the breed.As far as history is concerned the American Pit Bull Terrier is a pure dog fighting dog that is supposed to be used for dog fighting. Despite the ample amount of evidence to prove otherwise.More dogs lived as farm dogs and household pets than fighting dogs. This is also proven by the breeders records of the time. Just sayin'

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanx for the info I'm not saying he might not be a mutt. Nor am I offended. He's my buddy so what ever. That is amazing u can trace his dogs that far. Well either way he is a pit full or not.. Lmfao and Omg a handfull I love it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts