Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one, I am so happy that pitts are no longer on the "list"in Ohio., Chaos is half pit half lab, I don't know yet what all changed, but hopefuly I will be able to put him on a tie-out and go do my thing around the house, yard without having to keep him "within reaching distance" of me, I will keep my eyes on him though.
Chaos is about 70lbs and 22 months old, wonder if he will get any larger.
He is a active dog, I can't hold him to go on walks because he pulls, I've tried the Gentle Leader, Easy Walker,nothing helps, putting a leash around his neck and one on front of his harness helps, but I still have to tug, pull- and I can't- I have a hand injury. I tried a Harness acrossed my shoulder, chest.......never again, got pulled throw the snow on my face, belly.
Any ideas? Or does anyone know of a trainer in the TRoy, Piqua area of Ohio, that doesn't use a shock collar? Ok, I'm going to go now, hope everyone is doing great, people and pets.
(I still have the Gentle Leader, Easy Walk if any one wants them.)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Welcome to GP :D

·
Registered
901 Posts
Welcome from Ohio. My pit is 76lbs and I have a walking disability which causes me to be unstable on my feet. I have found with Beastley using a harness was most effective for me. A friend taught me a simple method to curb his serious pull, which is no longer an issue. What I did was attach the harness to leash and a leash to his collar. Choose a high value treat. When starting to walk have them available. When Beastley would tighten on the leash or pull say, "Come" and turn in another direction, once he turns say good boy and treat. When he starts to pull on the leash again, say "Come", change directions, good boy treat. Never go in the same direction. It took about a week and now he walks loose leash and we both can walk safely and comfortably. You can slowly phase out the treat if you choose. I changed it to a clicker and always provided positive praise. Hopefully it will also work for you. They also have leashes that you can attach to your waist belt, I've never personally tried one but some people love them. This may help with you holding onto the leash itself.

Ohio laws have changed, however in Toledo we still have a limit of time (15 min) to be allowed on a tie out. They still must be muzzled in public and be insured.

·
Registered
901 Posts
BTW you can always donate your easy walker or gentle leader to a rescue or shelter in your area. They are always in need and welcome donations. You can google UKC and type in trainers in your area. They will list them in your area.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum :)

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Welcome! I went to OSU for a few years :) What part of Ohio you from? Is your boy Neutered? I had the same issues and as soon as my boy was neutered it improved tremendously. That's not why he was neutered just a awesome side effect. It also help him focus on training a lot easier. Every dog is different though, just my 2 cents.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts