Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here, My name is Samuel.

I have a 6 week old pitbull, his name is Chico. He is growing quick haha. I have a boxer also...His name is rocky. The dogs started socializing this week and well I don't know if its going good. They "play" or I think they do..Chico nips at my boxer. And My Boxer is really docile, and just looks at him like what are you doing. I spoke to a pet trainer and me recommended that I have the boxer lay down when they are together.. but that has not helped. When Chico is alone, everything is fine and dandy, but when Rocky comes and chills with him, Chico starts biting and nipping and jumping at Rocky.

I'm thinking he did not learn how to play.. Today It got to the point that Chico bit Rocky's Um muzzle that hangs if that's what you call it.. and would not let go. So I separated him. I grabbed him and he calmed down... Later today same thing happened and well he wouldn't let go and started shaking his head while holding on to the muzzle.

How would I correct this? I bought him some plush toys for him to bite and a nylon bone or whatever its made off, its not too soft but not hard.. With me he usually does not bite, but if he tries to i pull him back and say "NO!" and he usually stops.

I want both to be fine together, is this just a faze? If it is what can I do so it passes more quickly or so my boxer does not say that's enough? When Chico tries to bite him he usually just shoves him off or puts his paw on him so he does not get at him..

what do you do if he tries to bite me? Do you give him a little spank on the butt, on the nose, how would you correct it? I have not hit him, I usually grab his body and sit him down and say "STOP!" or "NO!"

Thanks for the help everyone :)

I will upload a picture of this guy soon!

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
First thing I would say is 6 weeks is a bit young to have the dog all alone and socializing. I think part of your issue is the pup doesn't know what's acceptable and what's not, usually the mom and litter mates help with this process and they figure out what is acceptable and what is not, sounds like your dog is learning that now. Does he bite you? You can teach him by making a noise like you're hurting or simply redirect it. I think the part about having the boxer lay down is nonsense, but I'm not a trainer.

Does chico act aggressive when he's biting? Or simply playing?

As far as you stopping him and yelling at him "STOP" and "NO", you have to remember he's 6 weeks and probably has no clue what kind of silly nonsense you are yelling out to him, he does not understand what this means.

IMO---And this is what I would do is let the to dogs interact and let chico do what he is doing, the other dog should be able to let him know when enough is enough(it's on you to read body language and make sure everything is staying civil).

Now here is the kicker... These dogs may never get along, or they might but could STOP getting along some day(especially having 2 males). Our breed of choice can be dog aggressive and sometimes multi dog house holds are not recommended unless you truly know what this means for you in the future. I'm not going to re-type everything so here are some links:

http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/5288-new-puppy-owners.html

http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-...ing-american-pit-bull-terrier-your-puppy.html

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36349-pitbulls-dog-parks.html

http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/16152-my-puppy-bites-me-why-do-puppies-bite.html

I'm John btw, I'm sure other members will chime in too.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Your puppy is being a puppy. :) That's how puppies explore the world, through their mouths. It's a phase he will grow out of as long as you're proactive.

At 6 weeks old, he was taken away from his mother and littermates too young. He should've gone home at 8 weeks. During those last two weeks, he would have learned from both his littermates and his mom about correct play, bite inhibition (not biting too hard), etc. His mother would likely have corrected him for playing too rough with her and being annoying.

Since he's with you, you have to step in and play mother. Chico just doesn't know how to play appropriately with Rocky, he's too young. When he gets too rough, do what you've been doing--interrupt him, separate him from Rocky, and let him calm down. He'll eventually learn that playing too rough ends play time with Rocky.

Rocky is actually being pretty laid-back in correcting Chico. This will change as Chico gets older since right now he has what is called a "puppy license". Basically, puppies are allowed to be annoying and rough (to a point) while they're younger than about 4-5 months because adult dogs understand that they're just being puppies. Once puppies hit a certain age, they start to lose their puppy license and the adult dogs around them begin to correct the puppy for the same things.

I would suggest you get a crate, if you haven't already, that way you can place him in there with a toy, for a time-out. He plays too rough with Rocky, you separate him, put him in his crate with the toy, and keep him in there to calm down and burn off some energy with the nylabone.

When he's older, about 8-10 weeks old, enroll him in a puppy socialization class. Make sure you choose one that has plenty of time for the puppies to play with each other. Playtime with other puppies his age in a supervised situation will help him learn how to play appropriately and teach him bite inhibition.

If he bites you, please don't hit him. That's unnecessary. Simply yell OUCH! really loudly so that he startles and immediately separate yourself from him and ignore him. If you're sitting down and playing with him and he bites you, immediately stand up and ignore him--don't even look at him. This will teach him that biting you stops play.

Another thing you can do is redirect him with a toy. If he bites you, grab the toy and get him focused on that, so he's biting and playing with the toy instead.

No one can tell you that your dogs will be okay together. Both of these breeds (boxer and pit bull) have a high rate of dog aggression, and since you have two males, that increases the chances of dog aggression appearing later on (most likely when Chico reaches maturity at around 2-3 years of age). Anyone who tells you that as long as your dogs grow up together, they will be fine is lying.

Edit: Also, my name is K8. Welcome to the forum. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First thing I would say is 6 weeks is a bit young to have the dog all alone and socializing. I think part of your issue is the pup doesn't know what's acceptable and what's not, usually the mom and litter mates help with this process and they figure out what is acceptable and what is not, sounds like your dog is learning that now. Does he bite you? You can teach him by making a noise like you're hurting or simply redirect it. I think the part about having the boxer lay down is nonsense, but I'm not a trainer.

Does chico act aggressive when he's biting? Or simply playing?

As far as you stopping him and yelling at him "STOP" and "NO", you have to remember he's 6 weeks and probably has no clue what kind of silly nonsense you are yelling out to him, he does not understand what this means.

IMO---And this is what I would do is let the to dogs interact and let chico do what he is doing, the other dog should be able to let him know when enough is enough(it's on you to read body language and make sure everything is staying civil).

Now here is the kicker... These dogs may never get along, or they might but could STOP getting along some day(especially having 2 males). Our breed of choice can be dog aggressive and sometimes multi dog house holds are not recommended unless you truly know what this means for you in the future. I'm not going to re-type everything so here are some links:

http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/5288-new-puppy-owners.html

http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-...ing-american-pit-bull-terrier-your-puppy.html

http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36349-pitbulls-dog-parks.html

http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/16152-my-puppy-bites-me-why-do-puppies-bite.html

I'm John btw, I'm sure other members will chime in too.
+

Well I got him small because the mom stopped feeding them and ignoring them, she had 8 pups and I believe she was not able to produce enough milk. She just stopped feeding them and started ignoring them. he does not bite me, he will occasionally start licking me, but when I start feeling teeth, I move out and put either a plush toy or the nylabone in his mouth.

The trainer said to have the boxer lay down because he is so tall the puppy looks at him as a target. I plan to let them interact still and keep intervening when he starts getting too crazy. You can tell rocky like his company because he goes back for more, and when he sleeps he cries and moans while looking at him to wake him up. With Rocky I do not think it would be a problem, I think if it does not work out it would be Chico that does not get along.

Thanks for the link, Im going to read them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your puppy is being a puppy. :) That's how puppies explore the world, through their mouths. It's a phase he will grow out of as long as you're proactive.

At 6 weeks old, he was taken away from his mother and littermates too young. He should've gone home at 8 weeks. During those last two weeks, he would have learned from both his littermates and his mom about correct play, bite inhibition (not biting too hard), etc. His mother would likely have corrected him for playing too rough with her and being annoying.

Since he's with you, you have to step in and play mother. Chico just doesn't know how to play appropriately with Rocky, he's too young. When he gets too rough, do what you've been doing--interrupt him, separate him from Rocky, and let him calm down. He'll eventually learn that playing too rough ends play time with Rocky.

Rocky is actually being pretty laid-back in correcting Chico. This will change as Chico gets older since right now he has what is called a "puppy license". Basically, puppies are allowed to be annoying and rough (to a point) while they're younger than about 4-5 months because adult dogs understand that they're just being puppies. Once puppies hit a certain age, they start to lose their puppy license and the adult dogs around them begin to correct the puppy for the same things.

I would suggest you get a crate, if you haven't already, that way you can place him in there with a toy, for a time-out. He plays too rough with Rocky, you separate him, put him in his crate with the toy, and keep him in there to calm down and burn off some energy with the nylabone.

When he's older, about 8-10 weeks old, enroll him in a puppy socialization class. Make sure you choose one that has plenty of time for the puppies to play with each other. Playtime with other puppies his age in a supervised situation will help him learn how to play appropriately and teach him bite inhibition.

If he bites you, please don't hit him. That's unnecessary. Simply yell OUCH! really loudly so that he startles and immediately separate yourself from him and ignore him. If you're sitting down and playing with him and he bites you, immediately stand up and ignore him--don't even look at him. This will teach him that biting you stops play.

Another thing you can do is redirect him with a toy. If he bites you, grab the toy and get him focused on that, so he's biting and playing with the toy instead.

No one can tell you that your dogs will be okay together. Both of these breeds (boxer and pit bull) have a high rate of dog aggression, and since you have two males, that increases the chances of dog aggression appearing later on (most likely when Chico reaches maturity at around 2-3 years of age). Anyone who tells you that as long as your dogs grow up together, they will be fine is lying.

Edit: Also, my name is K8. Welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks for the reply. Like I said in the previous post, the mom started ignoring them so that's why I took him a little early.. Ill keep interrupting them like im doing it... Ill see how long this puppy license lasts for him, because like i said so far its all cool but it looks like he plays real rough.

I do plan to enroll him in puppy socialization classes once he gets his second set of shots. I just got my crate in from the garage today, Fairly big as that was where rocky would chill.

Ok, Ill start ignoring him when he tries to bite me as you say. Usually I just put the toy in his mouth, But Ill ignore him. Hopefully they get along if not, the boxer is my brothers, pitbull is mine, we'll have to see what we do. Maybe I or him move out.. :)
them li

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Like I said in the previous post, the mom started ignoring them so that's why I took him a little early.. Ill keep interrupting them like im doing it... Ill see how long this puppy license lasts for him, because like i said so far its all cool but it looks like he plays real rough.

I do plan to enroll him in puppy socialization classes once he gets his second set of shots. I just got my crate in from the garage today, Fairly big as that was where rocky would chill.

Ok, Ill start ignoring him when he tries to bite me as you say. Usually I just put the toy in his mouth, But Ill ignore him. Hopefully they get along if not, the boxer is my brothers, pitbull is mine, we'll have to see what we do. Maybe I or him move out.. :)
them li
Don't worry about him being too young, it's not the end of the world. And you did it for the right reasons; I got my boy Kane at 5 1/2 weeks from a BYB just because he was cute. :) Now that I know better, I just like to double-check with new members to make sure they understand for the future that puppies should be at least 7.5-8 weeks old before leaving their mother and littermates.

Make sure you block off part of the crate since it's so big. Chico should have just enough room to lay down and turn around and that's it; if it's too big, he can go potty on one end and lay down in the other, and it'll set your potty-/house-training back. How is potty-training going?

You don't have to use the ignore method over the toy-redirection if you don't want to. There is no ONE WAY in dog training. There are some methods that are better and more effective for your dog than others, but that doesn't mean the other methods are wrong. If the toy redirection is what you've been doing, there's no need to switch it up to ignoring, IF it's been working for you. Give each method some time to sink in and work; since Chico is so young, I would give him more time to learn things for right now. Give it at least 3-4 weeks.

If in the future, Rocky and Chico don't get along, you can also use the crate-n-rotate method. That's where you have one dog in their crate for a few hours while the other has free range and then switching them, so the dog that was out is put in their crate and the dog that was in now has free range. Or you could move out, IF that is feasible for you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't worry about him being too young, it's not the end of the world. And you did it for the right reasons; I got my boy Kane at 5 1/2 weeks from a BYB just because he was cute. :) Now that I know better, I just like to double-check with new members to make sure they understand for the future that puppies should be at least 7.5-8 weeks old before leaving their mother and littermates.

Make sure you block off part of the crate since it's so big. Chico should have just enough room to lay down and turn around and that's it; if it's too big, he can go potty on one end and lay down in the other, and it'll set your potty-/house-training back. How is potty-training going?

You don't have to use the ignore method over the toy-redirection if you don't want to. There is no ONE WAY in dog training. There are some methods that are better and more effective for your dog than others, but that doesn't mean the other methods are wrong. If the toy redirection is what you've been doing, there's no need to switch it up to ignoring, IF it's been working for you. Give each method some time to sink in and work; since Chico is so young, I would give him more time to learn things for right now. Give it at least 3-4 weeks.

If in the future, Rocky and Chico don't get along, you can also use the crate-n-rotate method. That's where you have one dog in their crate for a few hours while the other has free range and then switching them, so the dog that was out is put in their crate and the dog that was in now has free range. Or you could move out, IF that is feasible for you.
Yeah I understand, When they where born my plans where getting him at 8 weeks and vaccinating him that day, but not everything goes as planed :)

Ill block off part of it, Ill have to put him in there and see how he looks in there.. potty training is going lol. I have teh puppy training pads, He learned to go on the pads but there have been some incidents he misses them a bit, he has also had diarrhea for a few days, He was on Puppy milk and some dry dog food (Authority i think its called) When I got him I switched him to Blue buffalo. He is starting to go solid but mushy.. So yeah, he pees and and goes on the pads, if he does not see one he cries. There has been some times he pees on the floor ( carpet) but i think that was corrected.

I will try the ignore method because i do see when I put the toy in front of him, he ignores it and he bends down and wants to play... so i will see what he does when I ignore him.

If they don't get along. I hope they doo I really do. I will look for my own place. The crate method might work, but I feel that wont be a good life, I don't know maybe I'm thinking of it too much..

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Yeah I understand, When they where born my plans where getting him at 8 weeks and vaccinating him that day, but not everything goes as planed :)

Ill block off part of it, Ill have to put him in there and see how he looks in there.. potty training is going lol. I have teh puppy training pads, He learned to go on the pads but there have been some incidents he misses them a bit, he has also had diarrhea for a few days, He was on Puppy milk and some dry dog food (Authority i think its called) When I got him I switched him to Blue buffalo. He is starting to go solid but mushy.. So yeah, he pees and and goes on the pads, if he does not see one he cries. There has been some times he pees on the floor ( carpet) but i think that was corrected.

I will try the ignore method because i do see when I put the toy in front of him, he ignores it and he bends down and wants to play... so i will see what he does when I ignore him.

If they don't get along. I hope they doo I really do. I will look for my own place. The crate method might work, but I feel that wont be a good life, I don't know maybe I'm thinking of it too much..
I think for right now the puppy pads are ok because he is so little, but within the next week or two, you're going to want to start taking him outside exclusively. IMO, puppy pads are ok for small breed dogs like chiahuahuas and yorkies simply because they have smaller bladders and a harder time holding it, but for bigger dogs like pit bulls, it's only going to hurt you in the long run to use puppy pads. There are drawbacks to using the pads--often dogs get confused and will pee and go to the bathroom on anything that looks like the pads (newspaper, papers, etc) and they have a hard time figuring out that they should ONLY go on the pads and nowhere else in the house.

It's hard work taking pups outside only because they have to go to the bathroom after they eat, play, sleep and about every 20-30 minutes in between, but there are certain things you can do to help.

The crate will help a lot. Every time you're busy with something else and can't watch your pup like a hawk (even if it's just watching TV), he should be in his crate with a toy. Dogs usually don't like to go to the bathroom where they sleep, so Chico will hold it in and start whining/whimpering when he has to go. Then you can open his crate, pick him up, and immediately take him outside. If you let pups walk outside at this age, they often can't make it, so picking them up is better because it's instinct for them that they don't go to the bathroom when their legs are off the ground.

Or you can try tethering -- tethering is where you have him on a leash attached to you or to a couch or chair and he only gets that area to play in. This helps prevent him from wandering off into another room and doing his business there.

One thing I can't stress enough is that the ONLY time you can correct Chico for going to the bathroom inside is when you catch him IN THE ACT. Not a few seconds afterwards when he's walking away or a few hours later when you see a pile of poo behind a chair, but IN THE ACT. Dogs have a wonky sense of time and if you correct him later for it, he won't understand what he's being corrected for. When you do correct him, all you have to do is calmly and firmly say NO, pick him up mid-pee or poo and carry him outside so he can finish his business there. Then you praise and praise and throw a super-happy puppy party so Chico gets really excited that he went to the bathroom outside.

Also, if you're giving him the toy and he bends down wanting to play, that's good!! Continue to interact with him with the toy! Run it along the ground really fast, nudge his sides with it, get him excited to play with the toy!! That's the whole purpose of a toy redirect--not to just give it to the dog and expect the dog to leave Exciting You and play with Boring Toy that is just laying there.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Momma dogs aren't usually feeding the puppies still at 6 weeks that I'm aware of. They should be on solid food by then. The importance of staying with mom and the littermates is learning interaction. He needs to be with other dogs who will teach him manners. Were it my house, I'd be inclined to let the interaction go for a bit and see if Rocky will eventually correct Chico for his rude behavior. But you've also got a situation here with two male bull-breeds and that may not work out long-term anyway. If you don't think you can handle keeping the two separated, it'd be best if you work out now how you're going to deal with that. There are those of us here (myself included) whose dogs cannot even be in the same room. It is an unfortunate fact of life when you own these dogs.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think for right now the puppy pads are ok because he is so little, but within the next week or two, you're going to want to start taking him outside exclusively. IMO, puppy pads are ok for small breed dogs like chiahuahuas and yorkies simply because they have smaller bladders and a harder time holding it, but for bigger dogs like pit bulls, it's only going to hurt you in the long run to use puppy pads. There are drawbacks to using the pads--often dogs get confused and will pee and go to the bathroom on anything that looks like the pads (newspaper, papers, etc) and they have a hard time figuring out that they should ONLY go on the pads and nowhere else in the house.

It's hard work taking pups outside only because they have to go to the bathroom after they eat, play, sleep and about every 20-30 minutes in between, but there are certain things you can do to help.

The crate will help a lot. Every time you're busy with something else and can't watch your pup like a hawk (even if it's just watching TV), he should be in his crate with a toy. Dogs usually don't like to go to the bathroom where they sleep, so Chico will hold it in and start whining/whimpering when he has to go. Then you can open his crate, pick him up, and immediately take him outside. If you let pups walk outside at this age, they often can't make it, so picking them up is better because it's instinct for them that they don't go to the bathroom when their legs are off the ground.

Or you can try tethering -- tethering is where you have him on a leash attached to you or to a couch or chair and he only gets that area to play in. This helps prevent him from wandering off into another room and doing his business there.

One thing I can't stress enough is that the ONLY time you can correct Chico for going to the bathroom inside is when you catch him IN THE ACT. Not a few seconds afterwards when he's walking away or a few hours later when you see a pile of poo behind a chair, but IN THE ACT. Dogs have a wonky sense of time and if you correct him later for it, he won't understand what he's being corrected for. When you do correct him, all you have to do is calmly and firmly say NO, pick him up mid-pee or poo and carry him outside so he can finish his business there. Then you praise and praise and throw a super-happy puppy party so Chico gets really excited that he went to the bathroom outside.

Also, if you're giving him the toy and he bends down wanting to play, that's good!! Continue to interact with him with the toy! Run it along the ground really fast, nudge his sides with it, get him excited to play with the toy!! That's the whole purpose of a toy redirect--not to just give it to the dog and expect the dog to leave Exciting You and play with Boring Toy that is just laying there.

Hope this helps. :)
The reason I have him on pads and not going outside is because he has not had vaccinations, and I'm worried he will get something... For example, We Bought this house a few years ago and we asked the owner if the previous owner had dogs, and he stated yes, and I think he said one had died... So I don't feel safe having him outside until he gets vaccinations... Who knows why he died, maybe it was not a disease but he died.. so Until I vaccinate him, he wont be outside. And About the peeing or pooping not on the pads, I do pick him up and its an adventure! He goes squirting pee all the way to the pad and when he's on it he has already finished! And the poop as soon as he starts sniffing and whimpering he needs to poop. Sometimes when he doesn't and I see him trying to start pooping I pick him up and place him on the pad. I dont really reprimand him if I dont catch him in the act.. But if I see his going I grab him and say "lets go lets go" and place him on the pad, And End with a "nice Job!".

I took out the crate today, boy its huge, so I separated it so he is only in a corner. He was playing rough again, he wouldn't let go of rocky so I had to open his mouth and help him until he was calm, then I put him in the crate and he fell asleep.

One thing I do notice is he cries and look for rocky.. So they must be playing.. but what if he rips rockys lip or something, because he holds on and does not let go.. and rocky tries to move to loosen the puppy's grip, but he still holds on. I try and play with him sometimes but he finds rocky more fun haah

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Momma dogs aren't usually feeding the puppies still at 6 weeks that I'm aware of. They should be on solid food by then. The importance of staying with mom and the littermates is learning interaction. He needs to be with other dogs who will teach him manners. Were it my house, I'd be inclined to let the interaction go for a bit and see if Rocky will eventually correct Chico for his rude behavior. But you've also got a situation here with two male bull-breeds and that may not work out long-term anyway. If you don't think you can handle keeping the two separated, it'd be best if you work out now how you're going to deal with that. There are those of us here (myself included) whose dogs cannot even be in the same room. It is an unfortunate fact of life when you own these dogs.
She stopped feeding before I even got him, that's why he was on supplemental puppy milk since about end of 3 weeks beginning of 4. I usually do let them go on until I see Chico with a nice grip on the lip and Rocky cant shake him off and drags him. And Yeah I'm already thinking whats the next step.. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts