Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been a member for a few months and never formally introduced myself. I fell in love with the bully breed many years ago. I decided to get one of my own about 5 yrs ago, after someone attempted to attack me and break into my home when I arrived from work one day. I knew a breeder at the time who, under the circumstances, let me "borrow" one of his dogs due to I was scared to be alone after the incident. He was a well trained 5 year old Blue Pitbull Terrier. His name is Blue. He obeyed my commands from the start... he hopped right into my car and I took him straight to the pet store where we bought his bed, food, and toys. He hopped back into the car and laid right in his new bed. Croped tail wagging the whole time. He gave himself a grand tour of the house. Went out into the back yard, circled the entire parameter and came right back to me. He stayed up with me all night with his ears on alert. Every now and then, he went to the window and gave the air a good sniff. It was as if he felt that I needed his protection. About 2 - 3 months later, after his breeder and previous owner had come back from travelling, he decided that Blue was in good hands and he wanted me to have him permanantly. Since then, I've found a new guy and a new blue :). Mocha is a blue brendle and now 3 years old. Blue (now 10 yrs old) helped us raise her and is still keeping her in her place. :woof: I look forward to meeting new people who share my passion of pits and sharing information about them.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Welcome! :) Hope you enjoy the forum! Though, if you wanted a guard dog for protection I wouldn't have chosen this breed. A GSD or another guardian breed would have been better. Most pits I know will lick an intruders face off because a pit bull is not a human aggressive breed. Otherwise they can definitely be a deterant ;) Post up some pics! Would love to see your dogs :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Pit Bulls are not good for guarding property however I fully support that they will protect their family. These dogs imo are seriously affective as a protection dog for the simple fact that no one messes with a Pit Bull to find out if it is aggressive. Your average idiot that breaks into peoples homes are not going to know the natural none HA characteristic of the APBT. They are going to think the stereotype and be on their way. You get a perfectly good dog without having a dog that will actually attack someone. ( unless family is attacked I have seen many spring to action to save their family's.) Now as for guarding property no they are not much good for that at all except for the same spot of people just not going to see if the dog is actually mean.

Now key to this is making sure your dog is not feeding the stereotype. I live in a BAD area, people avoid my yard and while many neighbors have had break ins we get nothing as there is usually a dog in the yard. Are my dogs HA? Of course not, Lisa has met all my dogs and KG has met 2 of them. They are super sweet friendly dogs, but to people who are up to no good they are a risk not worth taking when the house next door under the watch of a Pomeranian.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
awww thats a great story , I want to see pictures though :) ....Welcome

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Pit Bulls are not good for guarding property however I fully support that they will protect their family.
That's about how I feel about it. How many times have we heard about people breaking into homes to steal Pit Bull puppies? I wouldn't worry about my stuff if one of my dogs were in the house; I'd figure my stuff is already gone and hopefully my dogs had the sense to run away rather than go with the intruder. :roll: But I also wouldn't bank on the sanity of anyone who wanted to come at me when I'm in the company of my dogs. I can't really say that they would or would not do something, but for crying out loud, they're Pit Bulls! LOL

Welcome to the forum, BlueVale. Post pics of your dogs, if you haven't already.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts