Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm menace187..
Im a new poster, found this site by researching pitbulls basically all of the time i spend on the internet lol.
I've got indica, whos about 8 monthes, and cyssero, whos a year now american bulldog lab mix.

my dogs are both really good with kids, and other dogs, and even cats... my pitbull gets her tail wagging so much wen she sees a cat lol!
but anyways, i think they were both runts... i know my pitbull was.

they are both really whiny... like all the time.... we take them for walks, and they are house trained, and they know some commands, sit, stay, down, leave it, high five, give me 10 , etc.... but they are just whiny!

Anyone deal with this? how can i give them more confidence so they dont whine!!!

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Welcome to the forum!I myself have never had a dog that whined alot so I can't help you there.Hopefully someone else will chime in with some ideas.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Welcome to the forum ,LOL @ whiny. I have a couple vocal dogs as I call it they whine when they hear me up in the morning or want out of the crate. I just shhhthem and they usually listen or just ignore. I think if they are doing it for a good reason like they have to go out then ok take them out. If you know they are fine, then dont give into them if they always get what they want when they whine why would they stop? I just use a shush and with some touch is needed, I just push them with like 2 fingers to get there attention with a loud no or shush . Usually shuts them up.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum ,LOL @ whiny. I have a couple vocal dogs as I call it they whine when they hear me up in the morning or want out of the crate. I just shhhthem and they usually listen or just ignore. I think if they are doing it for a good reason like they have to go out then ok take them out. If you know they are fine, then dont give into them if they always get what they want when they whine why would they stop? I just use a shush and with some touch is needed, I just push them with like 2 fingers to get there attention with a loud no or shush . Usually shuts them up.
ive tried shh ing her, lol... she'll just walk around the room and whine lol its weird. maybe seperation anxiety from mother? I'm not sure.. wen i got her her eyes were still blue, maybe she was to young? shes been raised with other dogs tho so it boggles me.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
wouldnt be seperation anxiety from mom. Is she bored? maybe needs to get a work out or something to chew on? Mine only walk around and whine when they need to go out to the bathroom, is that possible? And just cause they whine doesnt necissarily mean they were the runts. I have seen runts turn out to be the most outgoing and confident and biggest of the litter, that term really doesnt mean much IMO, runt is just the one born the smallest. If you dont want her to whine what is your response when she does it? If you dont follow thorugh EACH time, and you let her get away with it she wont stop. So would help to know what the response on your part is other then the shhh if that isnt working.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wouldnt be seperation anxiety from mom. Is she bored? maybe needs to get a work out or something to chew on? Mine only walk around and whine when they need to go out to the bathroom, is that possible? And just cause they whine doesnt necissarily mean they were the runts. I have seen runts turn out to be the most outgoing and confident and biggest of the litter, that term really doesnt mean much IMO, runt is just the one born the smallest. If you dont want her to whine what is your response when she does it? If you dont follow thorugh EACH time, and you let her get away with it she wont stop. So would help to know what the response on your part is other then the shhh if that isnt working.
I take her out to the washroom at the start of the whining, and then let her bak in, i generally take her around the 4 block radius a few times running beside my bike and a couple more walks around those blocks during the day etc. play tug of war, fetch etc. shes got toys and stuff. i'll usually go shh, then lightly touch her side as in to say stop whining.

She also gets really overexcited when she sees another dog, she gets along with them and all that, but i can see it being a problem when shes older because she just like jumps at them and trys to kiss their mouth all the time lol.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Maybe they whine because they know it gets a reaction out of you? I was glad my boy would whine to let me know he had to go out, but the little bugger realized if he whines I get up for him, or I touch him and pat him and try to quiet him (basically give attention). not a good thing for him to think he controls me! Took me a LONG TIME to get that out of him, started to follow NILIF (http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/11559-nilif.html) and made me first realize HOW OFTEN HE WHINES AND I RESPONDED. The whole ignore and he will get worse and worse was VERY TRUE. Took me about a day for him to realize he can't whine and get me to respond and he would try anything jumping up, soooo loud I would be sitting there hoping in my head that he would HURRY UP and REALIZE as soon as he went and lay down and was calm I would interact with him on my own.

About a month later he was pretty prefect, just those first few days were HORRIBLE. a few years later and every now and then I realize I am responding to his whines again (like if I am on the computer too long or he is ready for bed and wants me to go in there with him). Its very hard not too respond to him even with a head pat when he is like this, it kills me but I know its for the better, it was as much a habit in me as it is with him. not sure if that's the kinda whines you are getting?

·
Registered
103 Posts
weird thing. my boy is the runt of the litter as well and he is sooooo whiny. Ever since i had him (hes 10 months now) i have only heard him bark a total of maybe 4 times. His brother on the other hand is a barker. i dont think it has to do anything with their confidence. maybe in your case its different. but i rather have him whine then bark all the time imo.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
As long as she doesn't look depressed or to be sick or hurt you are ok...maybe she is soo smart that she is trying to talk lol

Edit: is her stool ok?

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
nah she doesnt look sad or hurt. shes just a whiny dog lol. Yeah her stools are 90% of the time solid.
Well then...I say you embrace it, grab a handfull of treats and teach her the ABC'S lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
ive tried shh ing her, lol... she'll just walk around the room and whine lol its weird. maybe seperation anxiety from mother? I'm not sure.. wen i got her her eyes were still blue, maybe she was to young? shes been raised with other dogs tho so it boggles me.
My baby boy used to do this all the time when I actually had a cat lol .. maybe thats what it is .. I got rid of the cat and poof went the whining .. shouldnt be anything to do with leaving mom though .. sounds like you do a really good job at tiring her out .. Also my female always freaks out and whines at the wall when I leave my phone charger plugged in I just figured it must be a noise that my human ears cant hear .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts