Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just joined - I have a pitty who is a rednose around 2 yrs. He has bad enviromental allergies. And we deal with redness on stomach in between legs and paws are bad. He is on Apoquel daily. And gets a cyptopoint shot. What can i do to deal with the yeast on his feet. His ears look good inside we use zymox. But he gets red on the outside like little dots on flare up. He looks like he has sores under his fur on his feet. We wipe down we do all the things. He was just on yeast meds from the doc and I dont think they helped. Oh and he has an antibac antifungal mousee i can rub on him that we use.

I am not sure how to even make my first post on this site lol I cant even find it? Did i do it right

He also has very sensitive stomach - we just found food that he does awesome on! Praise Jesus

Here is a pic of archibald
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Fawn

help us please thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok just joined - I have a pitty who is a rednose around 2 yrs. He has bad enviromental allergies. And we deal with redness on stomach in between legs and paws are bad. He is on Apoquel daily. And gets a cyptopoint shot. What can i do to deal with the yeast on his feet. His ears look good inside we use zymox. But he gets red on the outside like little dots on flare up. He looks like he has sores under his fur on his feet. We wipe down we do all the things. He was just on yeast meds from the doc and I dont think they helped. Oh and he has an antibac antifungal mousee i can rub on him that we use.

I am not sure how to even make my first post on this site lol I cant even find it? Did i do it right

He also has very sensitive stomach - we just found food that he does awesome on! Praise Jesus

Here is a pic of archibald
View attachment 90656

help us please thanks.
This is my Red nosed Pitty...she 11 months old and also had severe alergy flare-ups. We changed her food to Jauva dog food and for the most part... She doesn't get those alergy flare-ups anymore... No more meds and remedies... Just changed the food... She use to have the allergies flare-ups on the ears... Face... Stomic... In the armpits but no more a problem... Avoid food with yeast...

Sent from my Note 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to GPB rachmdurant . The yeast infection on his feet can be treated with oral antibiotics. I didn't look at your link, is the new food grain free?

Joe
Hey joe! Thanks so much for reply. Yes food is grain free the main protein is wild caught anchovies. Do you know what antibiotic to suggest?? His stomach is soo soo senstive from a bout of giardia when he was a puppy.
Thank you!!!

·
Super Moderator
5,440 Posts
Hey joe! Thanks so much for reply. Yes food is grain free the main protein is wild caught anchovies. Do you know what antibiotic to suggest?? His stomach is soo soo sensitive from a bout of giardia when he was a puppy.
Thank you!!!
What worked well on my dog was Cefpodoxime, 200mg tablets. The antibiotic treats bacterial infections in the ears and on the paws. That coupled with 16mg Apoquel twice a day kept his licking of paws down to almost nothing. The Cefpodoxime was a seven day treatment if I remember right. I know how miserable it is for the dog and this combo definitely helped. Best of luck Rach, please keep us updated as it may help other forum members in the future.

Joe

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What worked well on my dog was Cefpodoxime, 200mg tablets. The antibiotic treats bacterial infections in the ears and on the paws. That coupled with 16mg Apoquel twice a day kept his licking of paws down to almost nothing. The Cefpodoxime was a seven day treatment if I remember right. I know how miserable it is for the dog and this combo definitely helped. Best of luck Rach, please keep us updated as it may help other forum members in the future.

Joe
Hey joe! thank you for the answer to my question. Is your pup still on apoquel???

·
Super Moderator
4,637 Posts
Sorry to say that the dog that I use to give the Apoquel to, passed away two weeks ago. Not that the Apoquel had anything to do with it. He wasn't a puppy but I did use the Apoquel with him seasonally his entire life.
Holy crap Joe. 😔 I'm so sorry to hear. There's nothing harder.

·
Super Moderator
5,440 Posts
Holy crap Joe. 😔 I'm so sorry to hear. There's nothing harder.
Appreciate it Mac, It is hard and it never gets easier, you know it first hand. It was sudden, during the middle of the night and I was right there with him petting his head, glad for me I was. Athena has quit looking for him but is still lost. And the beat goes on..........

·
Registered
8 Posts
My last remaining American Bulldog (we had 11) passed about 4 months ago. She was on Apoquel for years, again, no connection to her death, but she had allergies always, although her siblings and parents did not. She was the runt and was born without a sac. She was not breathing (I helped her Mom deliver her 9 pups) I held her firmly in one hand and tried to clear her lungs with one quick downward jerk, and it seemed to work. She always had problems, not with her size, she was 125 lbs but her legs were crooked, eventually they straightened out in adulthood, but she always seemed to have joint aches, and definitely skin issues, not the worst on her feet, but her stomach. On and off, ear infections, and sometimes her mouth, lips and gums got very red. Same treatment as listed above, Apoquel, steroids when skin was very bad, tried many foods, eventually going with Hills Science Diet, but honestly nothing helped her much. I think she was allergic to chicken so we kept her away from that. She may have done best on a raw diet and I regret not doing that now. It is very hard to cope with and takes a great deal of dedication but it may resolve or get better depending on the cause. Supplements can be helpful, those with fish oil. Also, bathing the dog if it seems to be seasonal or grass related but be careful that products are not drying to dog's skin or coat. Also consider laundry detergent and fabric dog is lying on regularly. People tend to forget that you can't give dogs with allergies any old snacks either. The simler the recipe the easier to isolate what might be causing allergies. Hope this helps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts