Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm standing there doing the dishes and was thinking about some things.I got to thinking about female dogs that are extremely DA or hot.What do they do if they have pups?Have there ever been any instances that any of you have heard of where the mom turns on her pups and kills them?Or would this be the only instance when a DA dog doesn't act DA?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have heard of dogs turning on the young , a friend of mine had to feed 2 week old pups for that exact reason the mom tried to kill them and had killed one. I m not sure if its tied in with DA or not I know a breeder friend of mine who has a DA female and she is the best mom to her pups.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Good question. I would think that even if the dog is DA it wouldn't turn on its pups until the pups got older well in theory that is the way it should go. I had a cat once that ate its kittens. We did have money back then to spay and spaying wasn't really the thing to do so she had several litters that she ate. It was horrible. So I guess a mother could be so DA that she would harm her pups.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Dumae is HIGHLY DA and was an excellent mother.

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
IMO, I would think there would have to be something biologically wrong with the mother. Maybe a chemical imbalance of some sort? Maybe a canine version of postpartum depression/stress? That's just what I think. DA or not, I can't picture a mother dog killing her young for no reason unless she wasn't right in the head.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
One of my most DA girls is an excellent mother, until they hit about 4 weeks old, then you better get them weaned. Once they get teeth in she is done, but I'm not sure if that has to do with her DA, or just because she wasn't having those sharks bite her anymore.

I've had a DA bitch have a 1st litter and kill the first pup that was born, alot had to do with her not being exactly sure what was going on. Once we sat with her and calmed her down and showed her they were just babies she was fine.

I can honestly say that I could get ANY one of my females to take pups (if she currently had pups) from a different female, so I really don't think DA has anything to do with it. Alot of time if you look at that female's history, odds are that its mother wasn't the greatest either. I think its more of an imprinting issue.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
One of my most DA girls is an excellent mother, until they hit about 4 weeks old, then you better get them weaned. Once they get teeth in she is done, but I'm not sure if that has to do with her DA, or just because she wasn't having those sharks bite her anymore.

I've had a DA bitch have a 1st litter and kill the first pup that was born, alot had to do with her not being exactly sure what was going on. Once we sat with her and calmed her down and showed her they were just babies she was fine.

I can honestly say that I could get ANY one of my females to take pups (if she currently had pups) from a different female, so I really don't think DA has anything to do with it. Alot of time if you look at that female's history, odds are that its mother wasn't the greatest either. I think its more of an imprinting issue.
:goodpost::goodpost:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Dixie is really hot bitch and I had to take her pups away at age 3 weeks because she was going after the female pup. Just a few months ago Dixie and her daughter got into it as my husband was putting dogs out in the dog runs. It was through the fence but they still got each other good. Hot bitches are hard when you breed them. Tasha, another hot bitch of mine was attacking her pups at 4 weeks and had to be weaned too.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts

:goodpost: interesting never really thought of it that way, I have bred very few litters and my hot bitches were always problems. Interesting to think it could depend on how their mother was with them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
iv read that certain bloodlines are known for hurtin they re babbies. not sure if it s true.
No there is no difference between bloodlines... Dogs are dogs and APBTs are APBTs... End

I know that when I was breeding I had one girl that was only DA with her pups but none of my other dogs... It was a food thing... I only had to separate them when her food was in with her... No big deal just had to go on a feeding schedule...

I have heard that some females are so DA that they will turn on the pups at some point in the first 8 weeks but have not had one myself.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hmmm that is interesting and hadn't thought of it that way either.

These are all great thoughts and viewpoints on the subject.Thanks for giving me some input and insight into it.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
:goodpost: interesting never really thought of it that way, I have bred very few litters and my hot bitches were always problems. Interesting to think it could depend on how their mother was with them.
Sounds exactly like my Psyco Baby girl... See at 3-4 weeks teeth are coming in and they become not a threat per say but competition... That and I'm quite sure the teeth HURT..lol Baby would start to get aggressive toward her babies around 3 weeks, we could not feed her in the kennel with them because she would get extremely aggressive with them if they crawled near her food as well.. But she was always a GREAT mother, we just learned to recognize the signs..lol

Years and years ago she had a litter, and her older sis had a litter at the same time, 3 weeks apart... Angel had problems, and couldn't nurse her babies...sooo Baby's pups were almost 4 weeks, we weaned them early, and gave Angels few day old babies to Baby... Baby took care of those pups, fed and made them go to the bathroom but wouldn't clean up more than that..she nursed them for 4 weeks... Those were the dirtiest puppies EVER, I was constantly cleaning them up, apparently Baby understood to feed them and keep them alive but wasn't going above and beyond. Baby is one of the most DA dogs on my yard..lol

These days I will not tolerate a bad mother on my yard, no exceptions. On that same note, if an offspring had a bad mother I tend to be very leery about breeding that dog as well. Puppies learn from their mothers.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Our AB Mary Jane was the most DA dog I've ever had. She had one litter and was the best momma dog ever. She had a pup die a day after birth and all she did was lay at her grave and cry. She loved all her pups and was a great mother, but once the pups were older things changed. Ryan kept one pup from the litter, Victory, he was a great boy but both his mom and dad wanted to kill him so he was neutered and rehomed to one of Ryan's close friends.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
That's how I got Kane so young, at 5 weeks -- his mother was starting to kill the pups. But I'm not sure if that was because she was DA or so much that they weren't giving her enough food. They were def. BYBs.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Mothers do kill pups at times. In general hot or DA females are normal mothers. Bad, pup aggressive, or mothers that kill their pups for other reasons can happen in any breed.

A DA female still has maternal instincts. There are dogs which are very hot towards other dogs but might be ok around a pup (im talking 8 week old pup that isn't its own).

Some are bad mothers, they seem to have a hormone issue. No maternal instincts what so ever. It's like they don't realize they are a mother. They won't feed the pups, injure/mutilate them not out of viciousness but because they don't know what they are doing. They might behave very stressed out.

Some are not right and will kill their pups everytime. But those are not the norm.

There are also times when something is wrong with the pups. Mothers will often abandon such pups, others might kill them. I have a female which is a great mother, she has also nursed pups from 2 other females, doing great. But yet another time it didn't work out well. The mother of the litter was ignoring them basically, when I gave them to my other female she ate them. I assume they had a problem, animals know when young are inferior.

I've a very hot and serious bitch. She was a great mother. Every dog I have of that line is. Another will kill other females pups, she is intolerant of other dogs, even young pups. She's a daughter to the female which ate the pups I spoke of above. By contrast with her own pups she is a good mom, night and day in her behavior.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Yeah I'm yet to be convinced that DA has anything to do with a mother killing her pups. Roxy is highly same sex DA and has even displayed DA towards a young female pup (this was at a show and Roxy was in a crate at the time) but has had three litters and has been the perfect mother for the full 8 weeks with all of them. She seemed to enjoy mothering her pups and the biggest problem was that she would hardly sleep or let her pups sleep because she was constantly cleaning them.

Having said that, I wouldn't like to see her meet any of her grown female pups.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts