Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our veterinarian said that our bullies were getting to fat and that we should put them on Hill's Science Diet Perfect Weight. I noticed that the food did not have what I thought was enough protein for my bullies. I mentioned this to the vet and she said that there was enough protein and that my dogs would be fine. Fast forward 3 or 4 months I started to notice that Odin was becoming lethargic and his fur was lackluster. He was also getting bald spots. I took him to the vet and she said oh, this happens to some dogs, he was given a good bill of health by the vet. Well he wasn't fine to me. I decided last month to put him back on Merrick's and I gave him an egg with every other breakfast and some pills that have salmon oil in them (I am still giving him eggs and the pills). Believe it or not after 3 weeks his fur looks shiny, he has more energy and the bald patches are filling in. I had taken all three of my bullies off of Merrick's last year per the vets instructions and was feeding them Kirkland brand food . What a big mistake. Trini and Beau did not have as bad of reaction to the Science Diet food however their fur is now shiny and they look a lot healthier and starting to slim out. This is just my experience with dog food and I am not being paid to tout Merrick's food. I hope that this helps others.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We feed diamond naturals lamb and rice right now but switch foods so Gim won't get bored.
Science diet and others like it is complete crap. It will put a bandaid on the issue for a short time then cause other issues down the road. A few years ago, my vet wanted me to put my 9yr old cat on science diet s/d for crystals to prevent blockages. The food made him throw up. I switched him back to raw and all issues went away. The food fixes the crystals for a short time, but in the long term, it causes stones. My house sitter dumped kibble down for the cats so he wouldn't have to come back for a few days and still get paid. That kibble caused a blockage and my oldest cat died. The vet blamed me for not feeding the SD.

Vets know nothing about food. Always remember that, unless they have a secondary degree in nutrition. They are paid a Commission on selling prescription diets though.

We add a soft boiled egg, yolk is runny but the white is cooked since the white is harder to digest or some ground meat.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
Keep feeding what you're feeding and just reduce portions and increase exercise. You don't have to change foods to help your dogs get fit or lose weight.

·
Premium Member
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We feed diamond naturals lamb and rice right now but switch foods so Gim won't get bored.
Science diet and others like it is complete crap. It will put a bandaid on the issue for a short time then cause other issues down the road. A few years ago, my vet wanted me to put my 9yr old cat on science diet s/d for crystals to prevent blockages. The food made him throw up. I switched him back to raw and all issues went away. The food fixes the crystals for a short time, but in the long term, it causes stones. My house sitter dumped kibble down for the cats so he wouldn't have to come back for a few days and still get paid. That kibble caused a blockage and my oldest cat died. The vet blamed me for not feeding the SD.

Vets know nothing about food. Always remember that, unless they have a secondary degree in nutrition. They are paid a Commission on selling prescription diets though.

We add a soft boiled egg, yolk is runny but the white is cooked since the white is harder to digest or some ground meat.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Yeah, I don't trust human doctors. I don't know what I was thinking when I trusted a vet. Odin is doing so good now. His fur is coming back, the bald spots are filling in. Trini is doing well also and Beau is still just a little sweet heart.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts