Go Pitbull Forums banner

Hind legs - ongoing limping

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  JoKealoha 
#1 ·
Hello I have a 6 year old American PT female. She recently tore her ACL in her knee. It seemed to heal in about 2 weeks but now she is limping again and not putting very much weight on it. It seems to not hurt her too much as when she tore it, as if she's afraid to put weight on it or something. One day it seems okay, but the next is like its having a "bad day" or something. I don't want her to keep using 3 legs to hobble around.

Is there anything I can do to help her stop having this leg issue? My vet told me losing weight and exercise would help along with some pills but I don't know where to go from there. She eats once a day at the same time and she has had plenty of rest/exercise each day.

Would wrapping the leg with something help her? Does she need to rest more or work it out more? HAs anyone else had this problem? Any advice is appreciated as im lost.

#2 ·
It's my understanding that 6 weeks of crate rest is needed. I don't think 2 weeks is enough to heal.
A friend of my has en EB who had a tear. They did 6 weeks of crate rest and put her on Dasaquin. She still limps on occasion when she over does it. But for the most part is limp free and seems to be pain free.

Weight loss and strengthening the muscles is also helpful.

If it were me, and my vets only advise was pills and weight loss, I would look into a more proactive vet.

#4 ·
for now. 15mins of ice 2 or 3 times per day. crate rest for at least 2 weeks. 2 months of hand walk only to prevent running and jumping. (also try to prevent leash pulling).
if you decide to talk to a surgeon. they will ALWAYS say surgery is necessary.
if you consult a therapist. they will normally suggest conservative management unless the joint is completely blown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.