Go Pitbull Forums banner

Hives???

Tags
hives
6K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  performanceknls 
Benadryl is the best only in really bad cases steroids are necessary. Benadryl is 1 mg per pound of body weight but if a bad reactions happens you can give more. 2mg- 3mg per pound is ok for a bad reaction. So if you dog weighs 40lbs you can give up to 100mgs as an initial dose to help then you can back off to the normal 1mg per pound. You can also give 3 times a day if needed for the first day. It should be ok as long as he has no trouble breathing.

poor little guy, see my post above I think you were posting this up when I replied. You can give him a higher dose of benadryl now if you gave him some earlier today. Steroids are only really necessary when it is a really bad reaction. He looks like it is all over his body and he can breath just fine.

I replied in the other thread but it can last a while. Kaos was really allergic to ant bites and when he got them he would have the type of reaction your dog is having for a good 24 hours or so and that is with steroids. That is why as long and he can breath you just have to let his body fight it and help it with benadryl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.