Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the title says it all. We called our home insurance to see what would happen if we were theoretically going to get a pit, and it would basically make us uninsurable. I called a second company, they pretty much said the same.

This is freaking ridiculous :/

(we already have the dog by the way)

This is dumb.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
see if they will insure a american staffordshire terrier or an american bully???

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
:( This is so sad. More and more insurance companies are jumping on the band wagon and trying to force people to give up their dogs because of ignorance and media hysteria. I'm very fortunate we rent from Ryan's parents. If I was you Id just let it be and not tell them you own the dog. :( Its sad that people are having to choose between having a roof over their head or having their furry child. So messed up :( Good luck I hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No pitbull or anything that ''looks like a pitbull'' (literally) or rotweillers.

We don't know what we're going to do. I'm not worried about her attacking anyone, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, but she is DA to a certain extent. We realize that if anything were to ever happen, we'd be in major, major shit. We don't follow every pit rule our city has, cause some of them are too ridiculous (youre not even allowed to have your dog in your own back yard, youre supposed to build a seperate fenced in kennel with a roof and everything.

Dammit :(

I've only had her for a little more than a week and I'm already completely in love with her. This really sucks.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
That sucks!!! Try progessive if they are in your area (they cover my boy) granted its with pet insurance and rental insurance.

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
Citizens will insure your home and exclude dog bite. I don't know what state you are in but you could try getting bit coverage through an independant company and then ask your HO company again if they will cover excluding bite as you will already have coverage. Also, contact brokering agencies in your area and they will be able to advise you of: companies that may cover you, or ways around certain underwritting guidelines.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
when i bought my house they asked if i had any dogs.. i asked them why it mattered.. they (Geico) said if i had a pit bull, rottweiler, or GSD that they wouldnt insure me.. i told them no dogs here.. :D..

Reactions: Black Rabbit

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
Lies will only work until they come to photograph your house and your dog is staring up at them from the other side of the fence. My company (Citizens) actually sent a rep out to take pics of my house to verify value and make sure I didn't have things against UW guidelines like trampolines. They were already aware of Ecko. Next year I am reshopping with a note from my vet saying Ecko is something else since he is not papered. I'll let you all know how it works out.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
well, i didnt have a dog when i bought the house.. my cousin did though whom i knew was going to be living w/ us at that point.. they usually come and go before you are even in the house.. oh and i reported a blown over fence from the wind to insurance.. no rep even came out to look at it.. they just called the fence company i called for a quote to verify the damage was there..

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
Every state is different. In Florida they are on top of things. They pay people to try and prove you are lying, not try and prove you are telling the truth. Stupid hurricanes ruined it for everyone. :(

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i was ready if they decided to come by.. was gonna swap out dogs w/ my buddy.. he has a hairless chihuahua.. or my grandmother, she has a yellow lab

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
Back up dog. Brilliant. LOL!
I'll have to try that when I come up for renewal.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i would have to have a dog.. my yard doesnt look dog-free.. lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm shopping around for insurance companies right now. This is bullshit!
I'm in Quebec, Canada by the way, I'll add that to my little avatar thingy

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Not sure where Angelbaby is located, but maybe she can refer you to an insurance company?! Best of luck in your search, though. Hope it all turns out for you.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
KEEP it SIMPLE ...

Unless your dog is supporting "Winners" and Champions and so on in its IMMEDIATE PEDIGREE or PROVED its SELF in the []; then it IS NOT a "Pit Bull" unless by Pit Bull you mean mutt or one of various bulldog or bull and terrier breeds.. SO if its a mutt from the ASPCA or rather an AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER but labeled a mix breed its okay? right?

They are all bulldogs or bandogs or terriers .. pick one and stick with it when refering to your dog, dogs are named for the work they do and location of origin not after politcally drivin registery papers and rules. If you think you have a "pit bull" or you have a registered APBT then check the ped and check yourself then you will not being lying to yourself or anyone else, and those that do wanna lie to themselves can continue to ban pit bulls from insurance capability while working bulldogs still have the heart of the people. See in general people know :poop: including the Companies that hold so much above our heads.

Figure out which dog yours is,working bulldog, bandog, or terrier and if you like use bullandterrier, this is most honest to you, your dog, and the insurance companies or land owners.

Funny how no one wants to talk politics but everyone wants to be politically correct :hammer: POLITICALLY CORRECT ?? Is ignorance in action...

Best of wishes!

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
Dang FH! Can't rep you on that ^^ it says I need to spread the love.

...Ain't that last comment the truth!! Lol

Reactions: Firehazard

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
You are right, Insurance companies don't know dogs. Insurance companies don't care about pedigree. They don't care what you call your dog. They do like their money and if they can deny your claim by saying your mixed breed dog looks like one of the breeds they 'don't insure' they will. We've had this discussion before, but I choose to give my money to companies who do not discriminate based on breed (no matter what I tell them and if it is purebred or not) Insurance agents are NOT DOG BREED EXPERTS, nor do they care about the subtleties of what differentiates one closely related dog breed from another, or even those who aren't.
Around here, short coat, blocky head is enough to deny your claim. It would then be incumbent upon YOU to produce 'proof' that your dog was NOT a pit bull type, or mix there of (or one of the other list of breeds insurance companies choose not to cover, American Bulldogs make the list here, btw, my dogs don't look like English Bulldogs, sorry)
The fight doesn't lie in what TYPE of dog you are trying to insure, the fight lies with those companies who will not insure your dog, no matter what you choose to call him, or what he is.
Find a company who will insure you no matter the breed (or mix) you own, kick your current one to the curb. End of problem.
I'm not sure what insurance companies operate out of Canada, but here, in states that don't have BSL, State Farm and Farmers are two major carriers who do not discriminate.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
KEEP it SIMPLE ...

Unless your dog is supporting "Winners" and Champions and so on in its IMMEDIATE PEDIGREE or PROVED its SELF in the []; then it IS NOT a "Pit Bull" unless by Pit Bull you mean mutt or one of various bulldog or bull and terrier breeds.. SO if its a mutt from the ASPCA or rather an AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER but labeled a mix breed its okay? right?

They are all bulldogs or bandogs or terriers .. pick one and stick with it when refering to your dog, dogs are named for the work they do and location of origin not after politcally drivin registery papers and rules. If you think you have a "pit bull" or you have a registered APBT then check the ped and check yourself then you will not being lying to yourself or anyone else, and those that do wanna lie to themselves can continue to ban pit bulls from insurance capability while working bulldogs still have the heart of the people. See in general people know :poop: including the Companies that hold so much above our heads.

Figure out which dog yours is,working bulldog, bandog, or terrier and if you like use bullandterrier, this is most honest to you, your dog, and the insurance companies or land owners.

Funny how no one wants to talk politics but everyone wants to be politically correct :hammer: POLITICALLY CORRECT ?? Is ignorance in action...

Best of wishes!
BAM! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts