Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this may have discussed before, if so please direct me to the thread :)
If not or to start a new one...
We are looking at buying a home this summer and with that comes insurance. We need to find a company that will cover us while owning and often fostering pit bulls and mixes there of.
i know that Farmers is garbage when it comes to it, been there done that...(agent actually took pics of our dogs in the backyard without our knowledge)
Nationwide will insure as long as they have a letter from animal control or a trainer.
Allstate will not cover renters insurance with pitties but not sure if they will for home owners?
any thoughts on trying local private agents? Heard most are still under larger corporations.
we want to get all our ducks in a row before we finalize on anything so we are starting with this now to make sure we don't have any hiccups.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know a couple of years ago State Farm would give you coverage if you had a Pit Bull. A lot of insurance companies will cover you, but will jack your premiums sky high.

·
Super Moderator
4,655 Posts
In FL pretty much only Citizens will write with a pit type dog and they exclude dog bite liability coverage. I'm not sure the guidelines in other states as I am only licensed here.
Contact a local brokering agent. That's an agency that can write multiple companies. They will be able to either help you, or direct you to someone who can.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
I have always used Farmers or State Farm... I've always had bulldogs(APBTs) or wolves and wolf dogs... CHECK YOUR OREGON LAWS!!!!!

word usage is everything.... catch bred bulldogs or working bulldogs is a terrific terminology to use. Insurance companies follow the CYA rule. Cover Your ( Y ).. So should you.

You should just call them cur dogs for insurance purposes and unless your collecting REAL specimens its a pretty good assessment that all of them are curs. Cur dogs are hunting dogs kicked down from the CURS of the pit style game dogs .. from curs hounds were produced .. all this before 1900s. So if your PRIDE can handle it and your are NOT collecting game dogs, its the most safe route.... Cur Dogs... let the insurance do the research on that, they'll come up with hunting dogs from all about the U.S.

Good Luck Best of Wishes!

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
I use Farmers. My dogs are listed as APBT. No issues with that in CA for them, though that will vary depends on state laws
:goodpost: this has been my experience from Oklahoma to Idaho.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I was just online last night shopping around for insurance because I'm planning on buying a house next month. One of the carriers (can't remember which one) asked about dogs. Then the next question was whether or not the dog was any of the following breeds:

<Insert BS list of "dangerous" breeds here>

I classify Lina as a boxer since she's mixed with boxer & pit. That gets me around all the crappy red tape these insurance companies use.

I would say if you can classify them as any other breed, do it. Everyone gets so paranoid when they hear pit...it's such BS. As long as you're a responsible owner, there should never be a problem.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I don't lie about my dogs breed. I have APBT..... it's pretty obvious. If a carrier doesn't want to cover my dogs, I sure as hell don't want to give them my hard earned money. I don't agree with trying to slide breeds past insurance carriers for a couple of reasons.
First and foremost being the reason I touched on above. I think carriers who DON'T discriminate by breed should be rewarded for not doing so. The second reason being, it WILL come back to bite you in the ass. Insurance carriers can, and do, use any excuse they can to not pay. Lying to them is high on their list.
My daughter was recently denied a Homeowners claim for a fence that blew down during a storm (mind you, this is a LOW dollar claim, as far as claims go, couple hundred dollars to put a fence back up, no big) Her insurance company, who NEVER asked what type of breed my daughter owned used pics of her dog (inside the house, through the sliding glass door, since she is an inside dog) to deny her claim, as they 'do not cover dogs of that breed' The dog, obviously, had nothing to do with the claim. Yet they used her to deny the claim, cancel the policy, and keep my daughters money.
Sorry, my dogs are the first thing I ask about. You got a problem with my dogs, you have a problem with me, and you don't get my money. Period.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
I don't lie about my dogs breed. I have APBT..... it's pretty obvious. If a carrier doesn't want to cover my dogs, I sure as hell don't want to give them my hard earned money. I don't agree with trying to slide breeds past insurance carriers for a couple of reasons.
First and foremost being the reason I touched on above. I think carriers who DON'T discriminate by breed should be rewarded for not doing so. The second reason being, it WILL come back to bite you in the ass. Insurance carriers can, and do, use any excuse they can to not pay. Lying to them is high on their list.
My daughter was recently denied a Homeowners claim for a fence that blew down during a storm (mind you, this is a LOW dollar claim, as far as claims go, couple hundred dollars to put a fence back up, no big) Her insurance company, who NEVER asked what type of breed my daughter owned used pics of her dog (inside the house, through the sliding glass door, since she is an inside dog) to deny her claim, as they 'do not cover dogs of that breed' The dog, obviously, had nothing to do with the claim. Yet they used her to deny the claim, cancel the policy, and keep my daughters money.
Sorry, my dogs are the first thing I ask about. You got a problem with my dogs, you have a problem with me, and you don't get my money. Period.
you may indeed lie about your dogs breed and not know you are...

Unless they have papers that is genuine pedigree with proven stock in the immediate 4 gen, or prove themselves through work they ARE NOT .. American Pit Bull Terriers AKA working/game bred bulldogs...

all bulldogs and bandogs unless otherwise proven ;) APBTs come from proven stock so if you do not have genuine game dogs in your pedigree or dogs immediate make up you DO NOT have a American Pit Bull Terrier, you simply have a bulldog. These dogs are named for their function! Not functioned because of their name!

Everyone has a problem with "pit bull" almost everyone.. However they love bulldogs, catchdogs, cattle dogs, and even working mastiffs aka bandogs, ... The funny thing is there is NO breed as PIT BULL. The closest is the American Pit Bull Terrier which most have been bred out of working standards are simply show dogs aka American Staffordshires (red nose and pink flesh pigment aside)

You wanna be honest and have integrity about your dog and its make up then be honest with yourself no matter who you are and what do you have; call a spade a spade, and once again... KEEP IT SIMPLE...

I have 3 American Pit Bull Terriers.. all made up of Ch's GR Ch's and winners.. I also have a bulldog that is a product of linebreeding and inbreeding the original long legged bulldog strain out of the game bred APBT blood. This dog is NOT an APBT although it is game and from APBTs the way he is bred and proven through work ... bulldog.. in every sense of the word. From him I could produce APBTs, Bandogs, Terriers...

Bull and Terrier blood is not two different dogs.. they are of each other. Pit Bulldogs of Old England days were inbred and from them the FIRST terriers ever registered were in England and they were what we see today as snipey red nosed APBTs.. They had a higher drive and a stronger bite but the "pit bulldog" had the ability to stay in longer and ever sense the two strains of pit dog have been intertwined... You can follow the Colby, Con Feeley, Lightner dogs and see how the first dogs off the boat were just as I am speaking.

Politics doesn't change genetics or the rule of dna make up.. bottom line.. So if your dog you (anyone) is known to you as an APBT do you homework and be honest with yourself and your dog.

The original bulldog was thrown into the pit and forever dubbed "pit bull".... Slang terms breed ignorance; simply bulldogs, bandogs, or terriers they are: yes......... unless otherwise proven. The CDC where insurance companies get their basis stated that there is NO way to insure a SPECIFIC breed is more dangerous than the other unless pedigreed, dna'd, and signed off by a veterinarian who specializes in dog breed variety and purity. >> LOL THATS ENOUGH TO SHOW ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE FULL OF :poop: and DESERVE TO BE :poop:canned...

NO TRESSPASSING: VIOLATORS AT OWN RISK & WILL BE PROSECUTED
(has saved my arse more times than I can shake a stick at as I generally tell em I have bulldogs or catchdogs and if I say American Pit Bull Terrier I inform them these aren't ghetto dogs, these are high end catch dogs bred to tackle unruly bulls and wild hogs)

Keep it simple.............. and for corporations and companies who act like people or dictate how we live in FREE America.. :flush: we don't need em, as much as they need us. Why would anyone want to live in FEAR? Those same insurance companies insure K9 dogs so they should insure civilians as well considering all the K9s that have gone array. Its all a bunch of :poop: and any place that operates like that city, county, state... Is not worth living in. PERIOD.

I live by the Freedom, Liberties, and Guarantees promised by the Constitution of the United States of America~ NO business entity or government body has any power over the PEOPLE. REMEMBER IT and ACT ON IT.. IN all you DO. If you can't live free where you are, pick another state.

I only stated this because I believe in keeping and honoring the integrity of the dog and as an owner we must be 100% honest with ourselves. Even if that means educating those who are comfortable with their limited knowledge aka ignorance.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
you may indeed lie about your dogs breed and not know you are...

Unless they have papers that is genuine pedigree with proven stock in the immediate 4 gen, or prove themselves through work they ARE NOT .. American Pit Bull Terriers AKA working/game bred bulldogs...

all bulldogs and bandogs unless otherwise proven ;) APBTs come from proven stock so if you do not have genuine game dogs in your pedigree or dogs immediate make up you DO NOT have a American Pit Bull Terrier, you simply have a bulldog. These dogs are named for their function! Not functioned because of their name!

Everyone has a problem with "pit bull" almost everyone.. However they love bulldogs, catchdogs, cattle dogs, and even working mastiffs aka bandogs, ... The funny thing is there is NO breed as PIT BULL. The closest is the American Pit Bull Terrier which most have been bred out of working standards are simply show dogs aka American Staffordshires (red nose and pink flesh pigment aside)

You wanna be honest and have integrity about your dog and its make up then be honest with yourself no matter who you are and what do you have; call a spade a spade, and once again... KEEP IT SIMPLE...

I have 3 American Pit Bull Terriers.. all made up of Ch's GR Ch's and winners.. I also have a bulldog that is a product of linebreeding and inbreeding the original long legged bulldog strain out of the game bred APBT blood. This dog is NOT an APBT although it is game and from APBTs the way he is bred and proven through work ... bulldog.. in every sense of the word. From him I could produce APBTs, Bandogs, Terriers...

Bull and Terrier blood is not two different dogs.. they are of each other. Pit Bulldogs of Old England days were inbred and from them the FIRST terriers ever registered were in England and they were what we see today as snipey red nosed APBTs.. They had a higher drive and a stronger bite but the "pit bulldog" had the ability to stay in longer and ever sense the two strains of pit dog have been intertwined... You can follow the Colby, Con Feeley, Lightner dogs and see how the first dogs off the boat were just as I am speaking.

Politics doesn't change genetics or the rule of dna make up.. bottom line.. So if your dog you (anyone) is known to you as an APBT do you homework and be honest with yourself and your dog.

The original bulldog was thrown into the pit and forever dubbed "pit bull".... Slang terms breed ignorance; simply bulldogs, bandogs, or terriers they are: yes......... unless otherwise proven. The CDC where insurance companies get their basis stated that there is NO way to insure a SPECIFIC breed is more dangerous than the other unless pedigreed, dna'd, and signed off by a veterinarian who specializes in dog breed variety and purity. >> LOL THATS ENOUGH TO SHOW ALL INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE FULL OF :poop: and DESERVE TO BE :poop:canned...

(has saved my arse more times than I can shake a stick at as I generally tell em I have bulldogs or catchdogs and if I say American Pit Bull Terrier I inform them these aren't ghetto dogs, these are high end catch dogs bred to tackle unruly bulls and wild hogs)

Keep it simple.............. and for corporations and companies who act like people or dictate how we live in FREE America.. :flush: we don't need em, as much as they need us. Why would anyone want to live in FEAR? Those same insurance companies insure K9 dogs so they should insure civilians as well considering all the K9s that have gone array. Its all a bunch of :poop: and any place that operates like that city, county, state... Is not worth living in. PERIOD.

I live by the Freedom, Liberties, and Guarantees promised by the Constitution of the United States of America~ NO business entity or government body has any power over the PEOPLE. REMEMBER IT and ACT ON IT.. IN all you DO. If you can't live free where you are, pick another state.

I only stated this because I believe in keeping and honoring the integrity of the dog and as an owner we must be 100% honest with ourselves. Even if that means educating those who are comfortable with their limited knowledge aka ignorance.
:goodpost: We are renting our home since in the later part of the year potentially beginning of next year we will be moving.. Mine are listed as Working Mastiff (cut short Mastiff) and Bulldog..

It is all pride in the name game, APBT is defined by the function and ability of which they were proven.. Most don't get the idea, it is an old concept from the time these hounds were created.. An APBT is a pit dog, a Bulldog (under 70lbs lets say) and Bandog (over 75 - 80lbs) is the correct method to name a hound that was bred down from APBTs however not proven themselves with respected function.. Not to confuse Bandog with the Mastiff term, which really boils down to defining working stock.. PP to be the foremost defining ability however its all in view points.. As is everything.

The term "Pit Bull" was used as a shortened method of APBT.. Until the general population and media decided otherwise.. Pit (referring to []) Bull referring to Bulldog or Bull Terrier.. Again, can be argued amongst..

Bottom line is, APBT might be on the papers, APBT might be in the history... Doesn't mean anything unless the hound lives up to the name.. A Bulldog is nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Yea, the insurance companies really care about all that. Pit bull, pet bull, bandog, mastiff mix, 'bulldog'. All the same to them.
I prefer to do business with companies who don't discriminate, others can do whatever they are comfortable doing.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,440 Posts
Yea, the insurance companies really care about all that. Pit bull, pet bull, bandog, mastiff mix, 'bulldog'. All the same to them.
I prefer to do business with companies who don't discriminate, others can do whatever they are comfortable doing.
In places where BSL is on high the difference between Bulldog and APBT (or Pit Bull) can be night and day.. Hell in some places it can mean insurance or no insurance.. Varies company to company, city to city.. Insurance companies only care about the money, its not about the insurance company its about protecting you and your dog but also how it effects you.. Just saying.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
My state has insurance for people who can't get insurance through traditional companies. I live within 400 feet of an ocean so I can't get covered by anyone. Of course it also covers all breeds. Since you must have coverage and places refuse you see if your state has something similar? In my state it's called the Massachusetts fair plan.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
In places where BSL is on high the difference between Bulldog and APBT (or Pit Bull) can be night and day.. Hell in some places it can mean insurance or no insurance.. Varies company to company, city to city.. Insurance companies only care about the money, its not about the insurance company its about protecting you and your dog but also how it effects you.. Just saying.
That's a good point, KM. I wouldn't live in a place where BSL was in effect, but it does change things. However, in my experience, insurance companies go by what the dog LOOKS like, not what you SAY it is. In areas of BSL, most breeds that look like Pit Bulls or are related are also not covered.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
That's a good point, KM. I wouldn't live in a place where BSL was in effect, but it does change things. However, in my experience, insurance companies go by what the dog LOOKS like, not what you SAY it is. In areas of BSL, most breeds that look like Pit Bulls or are related are also not covered.
In my experience I call out the insurance companies because in 2005 I trained Insurance Agents who went out to access property and damages. :) So I know that the people who come out to access THE DOG are no more experts in determining dog breeds than any other smo joe off the street with limited knowledge. IN ALL MY CASES I am able to prove to the agent that what they thought they knew, they didn't..

KM .. you took the words right out of my mouth.. :goodpost:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts