Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those anybody know of any good long guns for home security I already have a handgun but I thinking about something for the mrs. something light easy to use if ever needed. I like a starting point then find more and narrow down to a few. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
72 Posts
I suggest a shot gun...no need to be as accurate of a shot as a hand gun :D

I want to get me a shot gun not with the kazillion bb's inside but the bigger pellets or whatever...

·
Banned
4,383 Posts
a long gun i like to use that a ladie could use is a .357 mag it has stopping power and size to intimidate.

but yess a shot gun would be awesome!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I am thinking Smith and Wesson's .45 caliber semi automatic pistol, just enough sting to get the point across :) Plus it has very little recoil between shots which allows for more accuracy hence "defense mode". Very effective little gun.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I got the wife a 20 gauge pump shotgun 18 1/2 inch barrel with a recoil pad and she loves it. plus it takes a idiot to argue with a woman who's pointing a shotgun at you!

·
Registered
214 Posts
I recomend a home defender its a shotgun with a pistol grip and shortoned barrell its great for females. I got my girlfriend one and she loves it. Mossberg makes a good one and its reasonably priced and super easy to use. Thats the only way to go if somthing happens its easy to grab and accuraccy dosent matter as long as u aim in the general vacenity you will hit what ever is there and if you dont it will scare em so bad they will prolly run. I dont recomend anything with a laser or a light on it because that gives away your positon and gives your inturder a target. plus lasers train you to look for the red dot if its a well lit situation you cant see a dot. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I recomend a home defender its a shotgun with a pistol grip and shortoned barrell its great for females. I got my girlfriend one and she loves it. Mossberg makes a good one and its reasonably priced and super easy to use. Thats the only way to go if somthing happens its easy to grab and accuraccy dosent matter as long as u aim in the general vacenity you will hit what ever is there and if you dont it will scare em so bad they will prolly run. I dont recomend anything with a laser or a light on it because that gives away your positon and gives your inturder a target. plus lasers train you to look for the red dot if its a well lit situation you cant see a dot. Hope that helps.
I saw that in one in Handgun magazine...its a 12 gage....I was thinking of getting that for myself but that might work for my old lady....?I'm thinking?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Its a win win if you want it for yourself haha u can act like its hers and reap all the benifits from both ends lol. It really is a great gun. Its not much good for anything but self defense in the home because its so short the spray pattern is really wide and it dosent have alot of travel distance but for what u need it for it will work perfect. I deal in guns a whole bunch, and ive had 4 of them and sold every one but the one the girlfriend has to guys at work for there wives and they all love em.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks everybody for the input I'm leaning to the Mossberg12 gauge, not looking to kill anyone but if she need to take a shot that will be more than enough an ass full of buckshots....beside there's always the backup the Sig P229 40 cal. just in case this get even more out of control.

·
Registered
214 Posts
SIG is a great gun but i still gotta stand by my colt commander and the glock LOL Mossberg is the only shotgun to have great choice

·
Registered
72 Posts
Where I think a shot gun is the best option you should also consider one that has a bit of spread on it but I wouldn't go with one that has a big spread if you own a dog or dogs with a wide spread if the dogs happen to be in the same vicinity as the target you risk hitting the dogs as well. I'd suggest a shotgun that has limited spread.

...just food for thought.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where I think a shot gun is the best option you should also consider one that has a bit of spread on it but I wouldn't go with one that has a big spread if you own a dog or dogs with a wide spread if the dogs happen to be in the same vicinity as the target you risk hitting the dogs as well. I'd suggest a shotgun that has limited spread.

...just food for thought.
food for thought...thanks!

·
GoPitBull/facebook Admin
647 Posts
I keep my Taurus 9mm loaded with 17+1. If you miss with 18 rounds at home defense range you're shooting in the wrong direction.

·
Banned
808 Posts
Shotgun all the way. It's the best in close battle weapon period!
Get the 18 1/2" barrel with some #4 or so shot and you are good to go.

Mossberg makes a good inexpensive one as does Remington.
The best one is the Benelli but they are expensive.

·
Banned
808 Posts
I keep my Taurus 9mm loaded with 17+1. If you miss with 18 rounds at home defense range you're shooting in the wrong direction.
You need 18 with a 9mm as the first 10 just pisses them off. :rofl:
For home defense with a handgun it's the .45 ACP or the .40 for me.
There's no substitute for cubic inches. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
214 Posts
You need 18 with a 9mm as the first 10 just pisses them off. :rofl:
For home defense with a handgun it's the .45 ACP or the .40 for me.
There's no substitute for cubic inches. :thumbsup:
amen 1911 colt for me and a glock 36 for the girlfrined 45ACP when you really wanna tear sh** up

1 - 20 of 51 Posts