Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
5,496 Posts

That dogs full grown... same concept though

idk how u cant find the back of the dogs neck to pinch its skin.... if u cant get it after that pic and my very simple instructions id GO TO THE VET bcuz you ARE NOT capable of the task yourself (not being mean just honest)...

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Yes, like JTP said, you need to pull up the skin and give the shot in the skin you pulled up... But honestly, I think it's best for you to just return the shots and take her to the vet to get it done. You need to go in for a fecal test anyway since she had all those worms. Chances are she probably has others, and since you got her so young an exam would be a good idea to make sure her heart and everything is ok.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Yes, like JTP said, you need to pull up the skin and give the shot in the skin you pulled up... But honestly, I think it's best for you to just return the shots and take her to the vet to get it done. You need to go in for a fecal test anyway since she had all those worms. Chances are she probably has others, and since you got her so young an exam would be a good idea to make sure her heart and everything is ok.
Agree with Coach. I do not think you are well versed in any kind of home canine care to be giving your own shots yet. If you need a fecal exam done just return them and let the vet do what they should do. It took me years before I was confident and educated enough to do anything at home. It would be in your dog's best interest to let a vet take care if her.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
I agree vet. IF you still decide to do them yourself, tip pull the skin up and between your fingers in the skin make an upside.down V in her skin with your free hand. That's where the shot can go since it's sq.

See the V below my finger?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
<(-.-)> N00B
350 Posts
I've given self vaccines to my dogs. DOGS not puppies. I think you should take the pup to the vet and do the first year with the vet in case there are any reactions. Only reason I have self vaccinated my adult animals is because they have never had a reaction to a vaccine, I have had medical training that involved mixing viles, properly filling a syringe and despising it. Also trained in proper disposal of the needle when done.

I would NOT do it yourself. Also if you ask a vet i'm sure they will help you understand how to properly insert the needle without going into the muscle (big no no). But I am going to stress it again, return the shots and take that pup to the vet.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
If you really insist on doing your own shots you should ask your veterinarian to teach you when you go in for the pups first check up...I have only been doing it myself for a few years now. I would suggest you hold off on giving your own vaccinations, at least until you have more experience.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I fancy myself a pretty fair tailgate vet and I don't even do my own shots. I trust what coned out of the vet's cooler more than I trust tractor supply. Plus now I have two records that its been done, theirs and mine. It doesn't hurt to have a vet put hands on a dog every so often anyway. They might notice something I miss.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Please go to the vet, any new dog should get checked over by your own vet to make sure the dog is healthy and sound. Especially since this is your first dog and you were concerned about worms. Please go to a vet.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
i agree, please don't attempt this yourself.

even with you being a medical assistant, i don't think you're qualified for the task. Shots aren't even expensive really.

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
I did do feed store shots, the ivomectin, certain home remedies, stitching, popping A vein for hydration iv's (being A junkie I could use syringes and find veins rather well) setting bones and splints etc.
The thing was I watched and learned. It took several years to just gather A gainful understanding.
And here You've got this random dog your gonna just jump past learning and gonna get into doing.
Your being unfair to this animal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Please take your puppy to the vet :/ for a first time dog owner, and with as little as you have said your puppy is... PLEASE TAKE IT TO THE VET

1 - 19 of 19 Posts