Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, someone approached us about feeding our dogs home cooked meals. Ofcourse we know the lady who gave us this idea. So she is trusted
She has let us borrow some of her cook books just to look through incase we are interested.
Curious if anyone has gone this rout? I knwo some people do raw diets, but im looking for cooked food.
I feed them Orijen which i love, but we all know nothing is better then a home cooked meal.
I have already started my research on engridients to stay away from, and these books do a great job avoiding.

any tips? or booksyou reccomend??

Thank you all!

· K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,358 Posts
cooked food generally not good for dogs digestive system ... Cooked bones splinter and do not digest properly and cooked red meat and veggies loose most of whats good for humans let alone dogs. If your using food humans use; feed raw.. it doesnt take as much and theres nothing better.. If you do any cooking just a drop in boiling water in and out; to boil of the fresh gamey blood smell and taste.. Do not cook the food yeah dogs will eat it and make a turd but they will not benefit like they would from straight raw. (begging the question)

· OCD Bullyologist
8,689 Posts
cooked food generally not good for dogs digestive system ... Cooked bones splinter and do not digest properly and cooked red meat and veggies loose most of whats good for humans let alone dogs. If your using food humans use; feed raw.. it doesnt take as much and theres nothing better.. If you do any cooking just a drop in boiling water in and out; to boil of the fresh gamey blood smell and taste.. Do not cook the food yeah dogs will eat it and make a turd but they will not benefit like they would from straight raw. (begging the question)
:goodpost::goodpost: RAW is everything your dog needs and nothing he or she doesn't. The proof is in the poop. Literally lol

· Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow, lol im actually not surprised to hear this. I have noticed a lot of love for raw.
I will have to do my research on this. I have no idea how this works but i do appreciate your responses!

· Registered
309 Posts
Raw is the best. Just stay away from Pork! I notice a lot of dogs dont digest raw veggies so rather then cooking them away to nothing but pointlessness I and others like to puree them. I actually for the most part substitute veggies for soft fruits anyway.

I also find that when looking at books that do pertain to cooking it really is miss-informative on whats good and bad in general. Lots of good stuff gets left out of the mix.

· OCD Bullyologist
8,689 Posts
Raw is the best. Just stay away from Pork! I notice a lot of dogs dont digest raw veggies so rather then cooking them away to nothing but pointlessness I and others like to puree them. I actually for the most part substitute veggies for soft fruits anyway.

I also find that when looking at books that do pertain to cooking it really is miss-informative on whats good and bad in general. Lots of good stuff gets left out of the mix.
I puree veggies and freeze in ice trays so I just add 1 or 2 cubes when I feed.

· OCD Bullyologist
8,689 Posts
by the way pitbullmama your dog on your avatar is GORGEOUS! he must way a ton? looks like those lion gargoyls... lol awesome!
Thank you.... He is a big boy about 75lbs. Mostly fat, but we're working on it lol

· Registered
151 Posts
I would go with a raw meat diet. Make sure you do you research. A good place to start is pitbulllovers but please do not stop there. I found that many sites contain opinions and biased information so look everywhere. If you want to buy some health "raw" meat then get the bil-jac's frozen. Just my opinion. I just started my dogs on raw meat with veggies because i cant find a butcher with all the yummy organs yet.

· OCD Bullyologist
8,689 Posts
I would go with a raw meat diet. Make sure you do you research. A good place to start is pitbulllovers but please do not stop there. I found that many sites contain opinions and biased information so look everywhere. If you want to buy some health "raw" meat then get the bil-jac's frozen. Just my opinion. I just started my dogs on raw meat with veggies because i cant find a butcher with all the yummy organs yet.
I disagree about the Bil Jac. It is garbage food. If you use a pre-made RAW food Nature's Variety is the best way to go. It received 5 out of 5 stars as opposed to Bil Jac's frozen only receiving 3 out of 5; furthermore, NV received a score of 120/A versus Biljac's grade of 68/F.

Bil Jac
Bottom line?
Bil Jac Raw Frozen Dog Food is a meat-based product using a moderate amount of beef and meat by-products as its main sources of animal protein… thus earning the brand 3 stars.

Bottom line?
Nature's Variety Raw Frozen is a meat-based wet dog food using a veritable bounty of fresh frozen meats as its main sources of animal protein… thus earning the brand a well-deserved five stars.
Enthusiastically recommended.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.