Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here looking for feedback on homemade food basic recipe for my 9 year old 84lb (tall big boned) white and tan pitty, activity low. I normally feed him 3 cups Victor High Pro a day and I’m now exploring homemade food, But I don’t know what basic ratio to feed him.

I’ve heard 1/3 carbs and 2/3 protein ratio and mix greens in between that. I really appreciate your help and feedback from those that know.

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
Our resident expert, EckoMac, will assist you when they see your post. Meanwhile, you could do some reading in the Health and Nutrition section of the forum HERE.

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Our resident expert, EckoMac, will assist you when they see your post. Meanwhile, you could do some reading in the Health and Nutrition section of the forum HERE.

Joe
Thx Joe,

I did search as soon as I joined but didn’t find how to get the basic ratio on my dogs weight and activity level. Yes you should supplement as needed to get the vitamins and such.

My two dogs:
Senior Pitty low activity 84 lb
Senior Yorker low activity 8 lb

Threads I did see pointed to Raw but I’ve done that when they were younger and that was the best. Now I’m moving outside the country and I just need to get the basics. Much dog food in Latin America comes from China and I want to avoid that 100%. Raw for now is on the back burner and was very time consuming. My dogs favorite kibble is Victor but it’s not sold where I’m going

·
Super Moderator
4,577 Posts
Unfortunately I'm only well versed in the raw world. Cooked food is a whole different ball game since cooking reduces the nutritional value. If raw is something you would consider, you could easily feed whole prey. Introduce yourself to some local farmers and offer to buy a couple of chickens or a goat every now and then. As you meet more people your protein options will increase. You can also go fishing, take up small game hunting like squirrels and rabbits. I honestly think you're in the best place to feed raw in the cheapest and easiest way.

When feeding whole prey you just remove the stomach, unless the animal is grass fed, then feed the whole animal. You may have to chop them into smaller portions. Whole prey is a complete meal. Avoid pork in climates that don't freeze, anything else is fair game.
preymodelraw.com has a fantastic guide on how to introduce raw slowly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts