Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I adopted my Bella a year ago. She's around 4 or 5 years old.
When is eary in the morning and there aren't many ppl around I take her to the beach I want to let her run but she wont stay with me. She wont come back when I call, she wont even play with me. She is completely indifferent to me. She will just go away and I always end up chasing her for miles.
Is there anyway I can teach her to stay with me? Is she to old to learn that. Are there some dogs that wont ever learn that? Its very frustrating. :(

Tx

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Please do not let her off lead in a public area especially if you are having these issues with her. Not having a solid recall can be a disaster waiting to happen.

#1 Begin Obedience training immediately, it will help build a better bond as well as show the dog what you expect from her.

#2 So that she can still run and get exercise I'd suggest getting get a long line
(That is just a very long leash....they sell all different lengths)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Since she isn't doing well with re-call this is what I do to teach it.

Buy a long line a clothes line rope will work I usually buy the 100ft one. Add a snap to one end and attach it to your dog start out with just letting them have 5-10 ft of the rope call them to you if they do not turn and come to immediatly start reeling tehm in praising like crazy the whole way. I love my guys up a bit and send them out again. I will do this with them until they turn a run to me at the first sound of their name then I add more distance. Sometimes I wait 5-10 minutes between re-calls other times it is seconds. I do not use lots of treats when doing this I use praise and lovin'.

·
Registered
366 Posts
do you think the use of a studded choke collar is a bad idea in this condition? i really dont have the problem of my red coming back to me but when he sees another male he has a fit, acts like he doesnt even hear me. what do i do toget his attention in this case. he responds well to the collar just not me...

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
do you think the use of a studded choke collar is a bad idea in this condition? i really dont have the problem of my red coming back to me but when he sees another male he has a fit, acts like he doesnt even hear me. what do i do toget his attention in this case. he responds well to the collar just not me...
especially f the dog is DA and doesn't listen at any times, he should not be off lead. If the dog is on lead a correction collar certainly can be very helpful in modifying a behavior.

Patch O' Luck with the training.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I wouldn't let the dog run if it is showing any signs of DAness towards other animals. That is just asking for trouble. Now if you know of a place where you can take your dog to run that is free from other dogs I would use the long line. In this case if your dog is showing signs of DAness and there is the possiblity of another dog showing up I would tie the rope to something solid like the underbelly of your car so you could get control of your dog.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Keep your dog on a long line until she learns a reliable recall. I have a 6-year-old who can go off-leash only because she has absorbed a great deal of quality training. My 2-year-old cannot be off-leash in public places because she simply doesn't have the strength of recall yet. Its all a matter of training and consistency.

Reactions: MY MIKADO

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Its all a matter of training and consistency
This is so true Lindsay. I have an 8yr old that I can not let out the car without a leash and then I have Vendetta and DaVinci 15mos and 2 1/2yrs old that have perfect re-call everywhere. It is all in how much time you put into training.

·
SRK's Hero Of War CGC
2,674 Posts
invest in what I like to call a great tool....a horse lead. =) never let your dog off leash

Horse Lead Cotton

you can buy a 10ft lead for ourdoor play.

also, you need to get some good basic obed training with her

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Helena is pretty good about re call after obedience school. But she's still a "when I get around to it" dog. She no longer tries to run off.. but she will continue sniffing the grass while I call her... then she'll look up.. and slowly start trotting in. That's just when I let her outside to potty in the back. I don't let her off leash in public area's anymore because she can't run hard due to her knees.

·
Registered
89 Posts
How many times have you let her off the leash and she runs away? Sounds like more than once. If she did it the first time, why would you allow her to do it again? She is a pit bull, and if any cop or pedestrian carrying a pistol saw her running alone towards them, shes gone.

invest in what I like to call a great tool....a horse lead. =) never let your dog off leash

Horse Lead Cotton

you can buy a 10ft lead for ourdoor play.

also, you need to get some good basic obed training with her
Or you can go to home depot and make your own for a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i have yet to let him off the lead except when i take him to potty. where i live we have a neighborhood dog park that i like to take him to. it has 2 gates that i can watch at all time and usually if there is another dog in the vicinity noone brings their dog around. other wise he is on lead throughout his whole walk or potty session. but it sounds like a need to get a bigger leash until he recalls better.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Red doesnt have a firm recall yet, he knows his name but when he takes off he doesnt respond to it. its more or less just him ignoring me bkuz he hasnt had much opportunity to be off lead yet. although he has taken off from my front door a couple times, ive always chased him, but it he is quite a bit faster than i am, but he never runs from me once i catch him. i think he does it out of curiousity and the desire to get out and interact with other dogs. either way i dont want to take the chance of him not coming back or getting shot by a fearful pedestrian. i cant be having that on my conscience, haunting me that i was irresponsible enough to let my dog get loose and allow him to be in harms way. not cool. although he is getting better at knowing when and where he can play without a lead. that is promissing to me that he will be able to one of these days... i know that repetition helps him learn but there arent many days for me to work woth him since i work 9-7 m-f. so i do what i can during the weekdays and weekends i work him hard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,

I adopted my Bella a year ago. She's around 4 or 5 years old.
When is eary in the morning and there aren't many ppl around I take her to the beach I want to let her run but she wont stay with me. She wont come back when I call, she wont even play with me. She is completely indifferent to me. She will just go away and I always end up chasing her for miles.
Is there anyway I can teach her to stay with me? Is she to old to learn that. Are there some dogs that wont ever learn that? Its very frustrating. :(

Tx
Your dog relishes the freedom from restraint. There are several methods that will work, but many of rhe suggestions will only increase the likelihood of the dog being even more difficult to capture the next time she has the opportunity.
If your dog is not destructive or a cat chaser, does not bother others, or cause mayhem while on her own, then recall would be the first issue to address.
If you have access to a large fenced in property, in this case, the larger the better, one where the dog can behave in the same manner as the beach, take her there. Distractions are not an issue, but make this a better way to train with distractions, and you can freely work without others complaining, Drive or walk (with the leash attached) to the middle of the fenced area. The dog cannot escape, and cause trouble or run into traffic and become endangered. Release the dog. She will begin to do her thing, and eventually will wander further from you. At this time, you are simply observing her. As the distance between you and the dog increases, there will be a point where the dog will stop and look back at you. This is the limit of her comfort zone. She will look back to make sure you are where you should be. She may continue to increase her distance. But remember the point where she looks. In my case, that point for my dog was well beyond the distance that I was comfortable. At some point, call to her. Does she ignore you as if she didn't hear you, but you know she did? Does she look at you, then continue on? Or does she begin to return? If the dog completely ignores you, when she is not looking, quickly go from the spot where she last saw you. Hunker down some so you will be difficult to see. Call to her again. Until or unless she stops and looks back, continue to go to different places without her seeing you until she actually realizes you are not where you are supposed to be. She should become concerned, and begin to look for you. When she can't see you, she might become frantic, and run around, worried she might be left. When she begins to panic because youu are gone, stand up and she will bee line to you. There will be no need to do anything other than to great her excitedly and relief you did not lose her. Do this every time you can visit the area, or a different place as long as the dog can not escape from the enclosure. One day, the dog will stop to look back closer to your comfort limit, and before the one she established previously. Continue to hide and call her and let her panic when she thinks you left her. This takes as long as it takes, but one day, finally, she will stop to look back right where you wanted. Call her back to you. If she does not recall, hide and this time, do not let her see you until she has become desperate and really frightened that you left her. I have waited all day for a GSD I owned to finally want to go home then couldn't find me and panicked. When, or if the dog won't come when you call, and you are tired of her keeping you out, call her, and say, 'Let's go, that's one!' If she does not obey. Call her, 'Let's Go!' No response, 'That's TWO!' Still not obeying? 'OK! That did it! Thats THREE! Come now!' Then go to the car, fire up the engine, then blow the horn. Then put the car in gear and drive away. The dog should begin to chase after you. Srop and let her in. Thank her for coming. Do not admonish her for being slow about it. This is a positive reinforcement technique. After a while she should come to you at the number two, if not drive away so she will chase or follow you. Stop the car, but when she reaches you, drive away again making her keep following. If, when you stop she does not hop in right off, drive off making her chase you. When she is exhausted, she will gladly get in the car....Keep making her work for the ride home until she comes at the first call to go.this should give you verbal control and better recall. Depending on what you demand or expect, you may need to continue modifying her behavior, or consider her a success. This is only my opinion and is not a recommendation on training. However, it does work, so if this sounds reasonable, try it, if not, ignore my suggestion. But when you see my dogs come running being off leash, rather than ignoring me, you can be assured they know what it is like to run to catch their ride, so they come when I call to avoid the chasing after me to get in..

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
2 dogs and one mutt, I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help but please look at the dates on the posts you are answering. This one is 11 years old and the people your advising have not been active members for a long time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2 dogs and one mutt, I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help but please look at the dates on the posts you are answering. This one is 11 years old and the people your advising have not been active members for a long time.
So any response to a question is only relevant to the author of the post, and the public at large who, like myself, stumbled into your forum and read the contents, cannot consider adopting any reply they feel may be relevant to the issue they are researching answers to, because the comments are only for the author to consider? Thank you for giving me the opportunity to not make a foolish mistake like this again. In the future, I will curb my enthusiasm and not be so willing to help, and field any comments I may be considering for adding to the thread, through the moderators first, and wait for approval before posting the content.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts