Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
hope everyone had a great 4th.
so do dogs eat less during hot weather? should i supplement my 3 month old with vitamins or wet food added to his dry kibble. he seems fine, still active. i know the sun wears him down and i make sure he always has plenty of cool water by adding some ice cubes to his bowl. i just wouldn't want for him to lose any weight.
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
hey Rick
i'm in LA too and yeah, HOT is an understatement for last week. i think i saw the devil putting on sunblock.
most large mammals eat less and lose a couple pounds during summer months. it's natural. just like putting on weight during the first part of winter. weather (temperature) is an external appetite regulator. as long as your dog is still eating 70-80% of normal amount and drinking lots of H2O, i don't see the need for supps.
we should have 4 or 5 days of 75-80 degrees. so it's a nice break from the heat. last week, i was visiting my folks out in Riverside and it was 107. we had to do our walks at 5am and 9pm. otherwise the pavement would kill his paws.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
wait. i just re-read your post. being only 3 months old is different.
at that stage, he should be growing like crazy. so losing weight is bad.
but i don't think eating a little less is going to affect that. unless he shows signs of malnutrition, still no supps imo.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Most dogs even puppies will tend to not eat as much when the weather is hot, just change his feeding times to early am and pm and he should be fine, if he doesn't wanna eat inthe middle of the day, then so be it, until you see him loosing weight I wouldn't worry about supplements or anything, he should be fine. It has been just as hot here and I know my rommates dogs don't wanna eat in the house even with the ac on. lol

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Some dogs will eat less in the hot weather but just keep offering your pup his normal food and do not worry about supplements. No need to add anything to his diet especially if you are trying to get him to eat. You could make a picky eater, if he is not eating puppies go through a stage where they cut back on eating. This is normal your pup will not starve himself just keep with your feeding schedule.
Ice cubes can be deadly in the water!! They can make the stomach muscles spasms and the dog could bloat. Never give ice or ice water to dogs their systems do not work like ours do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yeah, my girl went from eating twice a day to once. She still acts healthy though. And her coat is still shiny. She found a way into the A/C outside and bit the thermostat cord...so we don't have A/C since the beginning of the month. Good thing it was cool this week! Looking to repairing it this weekend.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Is there anyway you can bring him in during the hottest parts of the day? My friend lost a dog to heat stroke this year and he had water. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts