Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Last night the one thing I prayed would never happen, happened- my 6 month old girl Luna peed in my bed. Now this brings her up to peeing once on each of our couches and now once in my bed. She was weirdly tricky about it. The lights were off and we were going to bed, she was circling around making her place comfy, then she started nodding at the other blanket. sometimes she likes to sleep under the blanket so i was picking it up and covering her up with it. Then all of a sudden i put my hand down near her and felt the wetness so I couldnt correct it because i didnt even see it happen. Same thing happened when she peed on the couches . We had no idea it had happened until we saw the wetness and lost that opportunity to correct. What am I supposed to do if I lose that opportunity to correct? I feel like in many cases, she knows what she has done when she goes in the house, she gets that look in her eyes. Is it really wrong to point to it and say NO then bring her outside? I just feel like even if I did not catch her in the act, she knew what she had done after. But I also dont want her to get scared or distrust me when I am correcting her. I feel like she is backtracking. And she went #2 twice in the house yesterday for the first time in a couple months. I would say last month she didnt have barely any accidents in the house, and now the last couple weeks has been daily again.

So, I have heard them peeing in their owners bed is a sign of disrespect, or that she is mad at me for something. I feel like she does not always recognize me as the dominant figure because my boyfriend and I are both training her. I have been doing everything I can do for her to see, she is the puppy and we are the owners. I guess I would like some tips on establishing dominance the correct way.

The other issue is that she has been peeing in her crate. I've really noticed it lately, and was quite disturbed when i realized she had gone #2 in there and hid it under a kong frisbee (like 2 weeks ago) She is not crated much, the only time she is is when my boyfriend and i are both at work but we generally have different schedules. The longest she is in her crate is 1 day a week for 6hours. And like I said, she sleeps in my bed and has been. I know people have different opinions about that, but I love her and would rather her in my bed than her crate. So when I discovered the feces in there I took the blankets out. I would have like 3 towels/sheets in there at once. I then realized she was was not going in her crate at all like she used to without the blankets in there. Especially when she would get a rawhide or something she would always go immediately to her crate and chew away, which i was really happy about because I know she established that as her den, her bed, and that she liked it. So I put one blanket back in there because I felt really bad not having anything in there and knew she was disassociating that space as hers. She also peed right in the crate when there wasnt a blanket in there. I feel like that was an "f u put my blanket back". But I also realized I was washing blankets and sheets every week, and the thought of her laying in her own pee then having that on her grosses me out. Also we made her crate smaller, and I dont think she has gone in there since then.

I think I'm feeling some guilt, because I love Luna more than anything, but when these things happen I lose my cool. I have to walk away and let my boyfriend handle it sometimes. I know she is a little baby and that is all part of it. I'm also wondering how long she should be able to hold it at 6 months?

thank you guys!

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I didn't read the entire post, I'll finish reading after I get back.

But if you're having issues with her peeing a lot more than usual, might want to check her out for a urinary track infection.

Dogs don't really do things out of disrespect.

You can't expect a puppy to be housebroke in a matter of weeks, are you taking her out ever couple hours? Puppies cannot hold their bladders that long.

Generally, if you've been at it for a long time and they aren't getting it, you aren't making it clear what you want. (Or a medical issues.)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for the reply. i think you nailed it on the head for me at the end about not making it clear. I think I was really gung ho about the training, and once she got the hang of things I got lax. I forget also I've only had her for 4 months and that she still is so young. Also, I dont think it's medical she really hasnt been peeing more, just peeing more inside.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
When she pees outside give her a treat or praise her verbally. ;) If you reward a behavior it happens more frequently.

Good luck with your little girl

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.