Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting a blue female pup in the next couple weeks, and I am in contact with a couple breeders. I am not looking for an oversized pit or short and stocky type, and I am interested in seeing you guys opinion about these pups on how big they will turn out. Below are pics of the puppies and I will also try to get pics of the parents.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Heya. Its not easy choosing a pup from pics only. Do you know what temperament the parents have? Is the pup you're looking at outgoing and energetic- or more subdued?
Personally, the pup in the fist pic has more of what I like, judging by the parents pic: but looks alone should not be the only thing you look at.
I hope you have asked questions about the health of parents and pups, looked at vet certifications and queried about the disposions of both parents and pups.
You may be drawn to a certain look of a dog; but overall, looks aren't going to help if they turn out to be HA or have underlying health issues.
Good luck with your choices and please post pics of the pup you choose. We always love to ooh and aah over as new addition!

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
The pup is a cutie for sure! But I would be careful with breeders who breed blue to blue. Many times these breeders are breeding for color rather than quality :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heya. Its not easy choosing a pup from pics only. Do you know what temperament the parents have? Is the pup you're looking at outgoing and energetic- or more subdued?
Personally, the pup in the fist pic has more of what I like, judging by the parents pic: but looks alone should not be the only thing you look at.
I hope you have asked questions about the health of parents and pups, looked at vet certifications and queried about the disposions of both parents and pups.
You may be drawn to a certain look of a dog; but overall, looks aren't going to help if they turn out to be HA or have underlying health issues.
Good luck with your choices and please post pics of the pup you choose. We always love to ooh and aah over as new addition!
Yes thank you for all the help. I have made sure they are reputable, and that they are not BYB or breeding for looks. They both are breeding for temperament, health, and bone structure I believe. I am going to visit the puppies soon, just to be sure and I have been in contact asking them the personality of the dog so far, just to make sure its not overly shy or aggressive or things of that nature. Of course I will be taking a billion pics of her and posting to let you guys see.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pup is a cutie for sure! But I would be careful with breeders who breed blue to blue. Many times these breeders are breeding for color rather than quality :)
Thank you for the heads up, I have been a bit weary about it already as well, and just being careful of who I choose.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Great good to hear you're doing your homework. So which one are you leaning more towards? The first or the second pup?

·
Super Moderator
4,607 Posts
Do you have peds for the parents? Looking at the dogs in the ped would help determine if the pups are Am Staff, or Bully.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Back Yard breeding is not limited to people who are just breeding for looks. If these people are not competing their dogs, or doing something to prove them worth breeding other than being house pets then they are indeed byb'ers.

They are not going to be "Pit Bulls" at all. American Pit Bull Terriers are a breed and American Bullies are a breed. I wouldn't call them American Bullies either as they look to be an in between not bred for either specific breed.

If you feel you like the puppy and parents, then of course get what you want, but if you are paying anything the dog should have UKC or ABKC papers and you should get them when you pay never later.

To me they just look like average people breeding blue dogs without purpose, but thats just what I get from the look of their dogs and how they take photos ( you can tell a lot about breeders from pictures actually), so I would encourage you to read further into what makes a reputable breeder, however like I said its your puppy if you want it get it. No one other than you has to care for it so its not another persons choice. The one thing I can give them is they are not breeding overly done dogs, but dogs that look to be rather correct clean looking dogs.

As for size it would depend on the dogs past generations as well as its parents so know one will know what they dog will turn out like. It should resemble the parents, but that also will depend on the consistency in what they are producing.

·
Registered
399 Posts
IMO the second pup looks a little heathier, but I like the parents of the first pup more so. Yes, are they registered? And do either of the breeders show?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Great good to hear you're doing your homework. So which one are you leaning more towards? The first or the second pup?
Yes thank you, and I am leaning more towards the first one, as I am getting more info from the breeder of this one and it seems like the better fit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you have peds for the parents? Looking at the dogs in the ped would help determine if the pups are Am Staff, or Bully.
The first ones ped is 100% Avant bloodline. I am looking to hear back from the second soon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Back Yard breeding is not limited to people who are just breeding for looks. If these people are not competing their dogs, or doing something to prove them worth breeding other than being house pets then they are indeed byb'ers.

They are not going to be "Pit Bulls" at all. American Pit Bull Terriers are a breed and American Bullies are a breed. I wouldn't call them American Bullies either as they look to be an in between not bred for either specific breed.

If you feel you like the puppy and parents, then of course get what you want, but if you are paying anything the dog should have UKC or ABKC papers and you should get them when you pay never later.

To me they just look like average people breeding blue dogs without purpose, but thats just what I get from the look of their dogs and how they take photos ( you can tell a lot about breeders from pictures actually), so I would encourage you to read further into what makes a reputable breeder, however like I said its your puppy if you want it get it. No one other than you has to care for it so its not another persons choice. The one thing I can give them is they are not breeding overly done dogs, but dogs that look to be rather correct clean looking dogs.

As for size it would depend on the dogs past generations as well as its parents so know one will know what they dog will turn out like. It should resemble the parents, but that also will depend on the consistency in what they are producing.
Thanks for the info. I know the first one do show their dogs. Both pups are UKC registered and come with papers in hand. From my research I hear PR is not really a big deal but the first one is PR as well. I am getting them when I pay for them, not later, but that is a good probably commonly overlooked point. I have recently shown interest and am in contact with both so I am relaying info as I get it.

-This is also why I am trying to get other opinions and feedback especially people with more knowledge and experience than I have. (More so last part of your post came off pretty brash)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
IMO the second pup looks a little heathier, but I like the parents of the first pup more so. Yes, are they registered? And do either of the breeders show?
They are both UKC reg. first one i know is PR as well, and I know the first pups breeders show their dogs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just joined the forum, because I do have a love for these dogs, and also to become more knowledgeable of them, and I am liking it so far from all the respect and info you each have given so far. It's greatly appreciated Thanks guys.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey joel you should check out sinnomacoastkennel.com i think they have kind of what you are looking for. They are quite a distance away so it might be a pain but I think worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
What have they done with their dogs? Have they shown them? Worked them? Do either of the parents have titles? Conformation titles aren't hard to achieve, they should have those at the very least. Papers, in and of themselves, really mean nothing. Have they done any health testing on the parents? Not like "I took them to the vet, they have all their shots and they are healthy' but things like Hips and Elbows, etc.
If you are going to pay good money for a pup, take your time and get exactly what you are looking for. Stack the odds in your favor. There is a bajillion puppies out there, it's a buyers market, get your monies worth.

·
Super Moderator
4,607 Posts
I just read through an old thread that I remembered reading. Use the search function and search Avant. They are Am Bullies, and most are not bred for conformation. I'm sure there are better kennels out your way to get a dog from.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts