Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! im new up here I haven't introduced myself but im a pitbull owner lol. anyways besides that I have a 5 month old who wants to just pull out every toy she has.... I have tried cleaning up and telling her no and so on but she just keeps doing it... the only thing I haven't done is take the toys away completely. how can I stop this... she is also showing signs of being a hoarder dog lol. she is crate trained and will grab anything she can get her paws on and tries to hide it in her crate... Idk I guess it sounds silly but how can I make her a neater pup?:pup:

·
Administrator
5,577 Posts
Hello taggswifey,

What you describe is perfectly normal behavior for a five month old puppy. I promise you will tire of putting the toys away before she tires of bringing everyone of them out again and scattering them all over the house. She probably is hiding her toys in her crate in attempts to stop you from taking them away from her.

Keep in mind she is a dog not a child, she is going to make a mess. It's just the nature of the animal. What I would suggest is only giving her a few toys at a time and rotate them when she gets bored. My family room is scattered with chew toys, bones, Kong toys etc. and I just leave them where my dog can find them. Oh sure I kick them out of the way of foot traffic but they there for him to play with when he wants. All part of owning a dog.

Joe

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
I agree with joe. Your puppy is gonna drag the toys out to play with. She isn't a human child. We have a basket where I put all the dog toys when I pick up the house. Probably 30 minutes after they've been put up Cain is dragging one out. Then another. And another. They're always scattered in my living room.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
901 Posts
I agree. You can also try to play a game with her. Choose a spot where you want them to stay when not in use. Limit the amount out. Use a cue word like "away" or "put away" but always use the same cue. When she is done playing say the cue word take her and her toy to that spot, click n treat. After awhile place the toy in her mouth, say the cue and walk her back to that spot. Click, treat. Just keep doing this. She may learn when you say the cue word she will take it back to that spot. Praise each time. I'm not sure it will work but you have to be consistent. Personally I learned with my 3y/o I live for my dog, my house is the dogs house. If people can't accept it, too bad for them. They do not need to come over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol don't get me wrong I have 2 other dogs as well and Ive always had dogs... but she just seems really anal about it lol. but maybe your right she does have tons of toys so maybe just limiting her to just her fave ones would help bc the other ones she just brings out and drops them and gets the toys she really likes to play with... and good idea about teaching her to kinda clean up herself shes really smart and quick to learn new things. thank you soooo much you guys.... I think I was just use to my older dogs who rather sleep most of the day then play lol:woof:

·
Premium Member
11,012 Posts
Yeah make it a game, that might help. I hear you though. Balls and stuff are all out but tug toys and ropes and stuff he can't have without supervision are on the fridge.

As far as the crate thieving, can you put her in the crate when your not watching her? Or just check the crate before you put her in. What is she hoarding? Lol

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol her crate is open all day and unless I leave shes out until bed time.... lets see she is hoarding silverware... mainly forks my clothes if she gets ahold of it shes taking that in her toys which I don't mind all the bones blankets hair bands.... lol so everything I have to check whats in there when I put her to bed. its really funny but ive never seen a dog do that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.