Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My youngest one is 4 months and my other is 1 year old

Have a 1 year old boy and one in the way so I want them to be protective of my family

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
To do what? Walk properly on a leash? I stopped watching after about 30 seconds. Those are not Pit Bulls and it's incredibly frustrating to see them misrepresented as such.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts

My youngest one is 4 months and my other is 1 year old

Have a 1 year old boy and one in the way so I want them to be protective of my family
The dogs in the video are not pit bulls. Most likely American Bully's based on size. Like BC it is upsetting to see these "breeder" advertising their dogs as something they are not.

Also "Pit Bulls" are not guard dogs. A real APBT should be people friendly, most likely Dog Aggressive (there are some that can be managed), and have a high prey drive.

Even with a gamebred APBT, you can have a well behaved dog. Lot's of training, daily exercise, and stay on top of it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's what I was thinking when I saw the video. Stopped watching when I saw them portray the aggressive aspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
If you wanted a guard dog, you should've gotten a rottweiler or a doberman. A Bulldog is many things, but he is NOT a guard dog and should never be used as such.

You wouldn't expect a golden retriever to herd sheep, why would you expect a bulldog to 'protect' you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Kenaii: Any dog can be trained to do whatever you want. I got pitbulls so oh well I want them to be protective so if you don't agree or like it go to another post

Just wanting to train my pitbulls to be protective of my family doesn't necessarily have to attack but just stay close to my family if someone gets close and barks at them and can stop if I ask to stop the more he can learn the better I've seen some that know so much

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
Well you chose the wrong breed then. Pit Bulls are extremely human friendly, indiscriminately so. Protection is not something they are usually suited for, and calls for traits that go against the breed standard.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Kenaii: Any dog can be trained to do whatever you want. I got pitbulls so oh well I want them to be protective so if you don't agree or like it go to another post

Just wanting to train my pitbulls to be protective of my family doesn't necessarily have to attack but just stay close to my family if someone gets close and barks at them and can stop if I ask to stop the more he can learn the better I've seen some that know so much
I don't agree because people who train these dogs to be aggressive towards humans are one of the reasons this breed has a bad reputation.

If you want a guard dog, get one. Heck, I could even give you links to some good Malinois breeders, but leave the APBT alone.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Why bother 'training' the dogs to be protective? That's setting yourself up for a lawsuit if something happens and giving the bully breed haters more ammo. Besides, John Q Public Enemy is generally leery of dogs, period, whether the dogs 'guard' or not.

Forget the 'guard' training and teach your dogs basic obedience - I've seen people hawking magazines, etc., get unnerved and back away at the sight of my mother's Rottie, sitting quietly and attentively at her side when she answered the door. That Rottie was the friendliest dog you could ever meet - loved kids, loved people, but strangers didn't know that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts