Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never saw anything like this before.

I was leading my male out of the front door as my Brother was getting out of his car about 200 ft away. My dog had never seen him before. The dog saw him before I did, (I was fooling with the door lock... so he got no cue from me) ...instantly alerted... then did his vertical leap for joy with his body parallel to the ground ( I've personally only seen cats do that before), and pulled like mad to get to him. When he did he greeted him like his best friend ( only my son, grandpa and the mailman generally get that treatment).
For the next 2 days he didn't leave Bro's side.
I'm amazed he ID'd him....never saw him before...we live in a city so people are no novelty...no cues from me...
I thought maybe there was a similarity in odor between family...but the neighbor girl's a biology student and says no 2 people have the same pheromones.
Just have to file it as a curious dog story.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Now I don't know how true this is or if its a doggy myth, but I have always been told dogs can smell family relations.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
LOL!! That is a good question! My girl did the same thing with my brother the first time she met him. She was all over him like a cheap suit and she is usually shy when she meets new people LOL! Amazing :)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I have had this happen with many of my dogs. They always know its family.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
You know Joe, my red boy, Phoenix, had never met my youngest son, I went to go pick him up from his dad and Phoenix knew immediately who he was and loved him. He had only acted like that to one of my nieces. So I have to agree with Holly about them knowing who family members are.

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
I've never heard this. I know my dogs don't forget people, but I've never had them recognize someone they have never met before. I do know dogs are a good judge of character and mood. So even though you had not seen your brother or give him cues, but he may have knew that your brother was walking up, excited to see you. The dog may have just responded accordingly.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
I've never heard this. I know my dogs don't forget people, but I've never had them recognize someone they have never met before. I do know dogs are a good judge of character and mood. So even though you had not seen your brother or give him cues, but he may have knew that your brother was walking up, excited to see you. The dog may have just responded accordingly.
that makes since to me, i've never heard the knew someobody without ever meeting them thing

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
My dog Helena really adores my sister. And she seemed to understand who our baby boy was when we brought him home as well.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
the chemical structure of pheromones is much more similar between family members than it is unrelated people. especially siblings. and even more between siblings of the same gender.

·
Registered
901 Posts
When we took Beastley to visit my mom for the first time. He ran straight up the stairs and sat right next to her on the porch. He was so content just sitting next to her while we worked on her yard. After our visit it was very hard to get him to leave, he acted like he moved in and wasn't interested in going home. Now he gets excited when we say we are going to grandma's it's his second home.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was trying to reply to everyone...but my 'quote' function doesn't work for some reason.

JoKealoha may have hit on it....as others also suggested....maybe the similarity in pheromones in first degree relations is what gets the dogs attention.

I'll have to tell the neighbor girl to hit the books a little harder.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
multi quote

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I was trying to reply to everyone...but my 'quote' function doesn't work for some reason.

JoKealoha may have hit on it....as others also suggested....maybe the similarity in pheromones in first degree relations is what gets the dogs attention.
I'll have to tell the neighbor girl to hit the books a little harder.
youre correct except for the words may and maybe, theres scientific proof thats been well documented. diabetes and seizure dogs are all over the US...how do you think they know sugar levels/on-comings of seizures? =p

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
youre correct except for the words may and maybe, theres scientific proof thats been well documented. diabetes and seizure dogs are all over the US...how do you think they know sugar levels/on-comings of seizures? =p
Yeah..my 1st thought was odor, but I believed the Bio student who told me 'no'.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
this might seem nit picky but. seizures are related to hormonal secretions. not out of the body but into the bloodstream. they are intended to incite a physiological change within the animal (person). of course it would still affect your scent which dogs can pick up and be trained for response.
pheromones are a little different. their purpose is for "aromatic identification". lol i just made that up it's not a real term. they are excreted for the purpose of affecting the behavior of other animals (people).
your neighbor the bio student is probably basing her answer on her text books which probably say something like "the chemical signature of animals is unique and no two are alike". this is true in a very general sense. but every protein we make is based on our DNA sequence. so it's not just the shape of our noses that we share with family. we are also shaped alike on a cellular, even molecular level.
sadly, education is driven by test scores and concepts are taught in seclusion from one another. it wasn't until after college that i realized everything is connected to everything and the "big picture" is alot bigger than even my professors told me. i majored in mammalian physiology and i did't get the big picture till years after my degree. when i sought information for understanding and not just out of fear of the MCAT. your neighbor will eventually wrap her brain around stuff like that.
LOL. that was more than anyone asked for. sorry. it's just what i do everyday.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Yeah..my 1st thought was odor, but I believed the Bio student who told me 'no'.
plenty of phd's have written on this subject. check around for science fact. wish i had links but i clear my bookmarks every now and then

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
this might seem nit picky but. seizures are related to hormonal secretions. not out of the body but into the bloodstream. they are intended to incite a physiological change within the animal (person). of course it would still affect your scent which dogs can pick up and be trained for response.
pheromones are a little different. their purpose is for "aromatic identification". lol i just made that up it's not a real term. they are excreted for the purpose of affecting the behavior of other animals (people).
your neighbor the bio student is probably basing her answer on her text books which probably say something like "the chemical signature of animals is unique and no two are alike". this is true in a very general sense. but every protein we make is based on our DNA sequence. so it's not just the shape of our noses that we share with family. we are also shaped alike on a cellular, even molecular level.
sadly, education is driven by test scores and concepts are taught in seclusion from one another. it wasn't until after college that i realized everything is connected to everything and the "big picture" is alot bigger than even my professors told me. i majored in mammalian physiology and i did't get the big picture till years after my degree. when i sought information for understanding and not just out of fear of the MCAT. your neighbor will eventually wrap her brain around stuff like that.
LOL. that was more than anyone asked for. sorry. it's just what i do everyday.
lol...that's a good thing ...I do the same wrt my own expertise. Gotta pass it on before I shuffle of the coil.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
That is really cool. I also think that they can tell family, so its cool that the smells are similar. I mean we look and sound alike, why cant we smell alike :) Gargamel rarely cuddles with just anyone, he is picky, but he will cuddle with my mom allll day if she let him, and he has only met her a few times since she lives in Florida :) But he greets her the same way he greets me and my sister (she lives in the apartment above me and helps walk Mel if I work late). My dad he is not as cuddly, but he tries, my dad just doesn't want to cuddle lol.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Gotta pass it on before I shuffle of the coil.
Hamlet???
i haven't heard that since college either!

btw ames, great dog name! "Gargamel" i haven't heard since 1st or 2nd grade! and with the new smurf movie, he will be more famous!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts