Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on a parenting forum I am on in the debates section. I wanted to see how these ladies felt about the breed. I am expecting comments that will be supportive and non supportive as well as neutral. Anything else I should add?

Breed Specific Legislation is a collection of laws that prohibit owning certain breeds of dogs. The breeds mostly effected by these laws are pit bull breeds (American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier.) Some laws such as in Denver CO and Miami FL the dogs are outright banned. If you are caught owning one, your dog will be removed and euthanized. Even if the dog has caused harm to no one and is a loving family pet. Other places, just place legislation such as muzzle laws, confinement rules such as a pen with concrete bottom and a roof, and the requirement to cover 100,000 in liability insurance.

Although it has been proven that the laws are eneffective, and cost the cities a lot of unneccessary money, and do not reduce dog attacks, they are continued to be passed. And innocent dogs and their owners are targeted by these laws.

These laws are passed in complete ignorance of the breeds. People tend to fear these dogs form the myths about them. Such as locking jaws. This is a complete and very ignorant myth. The "pit bulls" jaws do not have any special locking mechinism, nor any enzyme that is released to cause them to lock. Another one I have heard that their brains swell and cause them to go "crazy" This is also complete myth. The only reason for brain swelling would be ofcourse head trauma. Also a lot of people think that "pit bulls" are mutts and will label any dog who attacks or bites a pit bull. "pit bull" is a generic term for the three breed names I listed above. The American Pit Bull Terrier itself as 2 major dog registries the ADBA and UKC who have been around for over 100 years registering the breed as full blood dogs. The Amstaff and Staffordshire Bull Terrier are both AKC breeds. The media will often label any breed a pit bull to gain sensation of their news story. Often the dog is not pictured or is obviously not a pit bull. If you are up for the challenge, see if you can identify the real American Pit Bull Terrier

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

Also, the idea that they are not family friendly dogs. These breeds were once very popular in America, and known for their affection and love towards children. Petey of the Little Rascals was an American Pit Bull Terrier.

Pit Bull Rescue Central

I am the proud owner of an APBT myself. A 4 year old, spayed female. She is a great dog. Has been through obedience training, smart, sweet and trustworthy.

How do you feel about these laws?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would expect a pretty visceral reaction. Particularly on a parenting forum. I might be wrong, but considering most of the general population sees Pit Bulls (and anything remotely resembling them) to be blood thirsty child killers I doubt you'll get a lot of support.

Curious, was this a topic of debate already ongoing or something you've initiated?

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I initiated. I wanted to see what people had to say. I like to hope that if maybe I can change one mind, they might out out to change another and it goes on. Surprisingly almost everyone who has replied has agreed with me, even if they were non pit bull owners. But "oh crap" I Just checked back and someone has posted the "dogsbite" website. I hate this stupid website!

DOG BITE LAW - Statistics about dog bites in the USA and elsewhere

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
ugh that website is the WORST!!! have you heard anything else? One thing I recently read was that there has never been a fatal dog attack from a spayed or neutered Pit Bull. Not that that really apply here, but I think an enforced spay or neuter for non registered breeders is a good alternative. BSL is terrible, there are so many other ways to make sure there are responsible owners and in turn great dogs!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
would be interesting to see what the reactions are! I wouldnt expect alot of understanding on a parenting forum people tend to listen to the media and think all these dogs are out to kill. Hopefully others who own or have experience will comment would be nice to send some real facts the way of all the haters. Hope this maybe changes some minds over there or atleast opens there minds to think about it some more , good post.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Out of many replies, there are only 2 people that say they are "unsure or frightened" by the breed, but they both said that they weren't sure that banning was the answer. There are very many great replies! And most of them are from non bully owners! One lady owns a cocker spaniel and another unnamed breed, she admitted her dogs are statistically more likely to bite than a pit bull. Another lady told a story of how her labrador was attacked by a golden retriever and saved by a pit bull. LOL That is a pretty cool story.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I'm intrigued by the response to this. Keep us up to date will you?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm intrigued by the response to this. Keep us up to date will you?
I am too. Like I said before I would expect a lot worse reaction on a parenting forum than you apparently are getting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts