Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at another members pup (rex 16 weeks).....and i got to thinking that what captures my attention when i have fallen in love with a dog is always the eyes....they have to be kind and i have to feel they have a good heart.

idk....how do u guys pick ? (im not asking for advice i have a 6 month old love of my life)

when i was shown mine out of a few i picked him in one second bought him on the spot

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I didn't have to make a choice, thank goodness, that seems super hard, lol. Mel fell into issues as a pup and was rescued by my ex around 5 and a half weeks. Then when he went to bike week when my boy was 3 months old and I had him to myself for a few weeks, it was over, he was far too cute to let go. I feel in love with his snoring and floppy ears and his eyeliner eyes :) lol

I agree though the eyes are a good way to tell lol

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i got Dre and Daisy grown already.. for Diesel, it was him or a white w/ blue brindle patches male.. always been a fan of the black brindle so i sprung for him.. lol.. kinda wish i would have gotten the other one, Diesel has done nothing but eat stuff.. lol

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
well, before i had children, i always picked the most outgoing pup, whether it was a shelter pup, or a supposed pure-bred (talking byb pups here). Upon getting into show-quality prospects, i let the breeder pick my pups, as i was not as knowledgeable then as i am now. Conformation and temperment came first. When i got my current pup, i met the litter in person, and interacted with the pups. I allowed my baby girl to play with the pups, and upon observing which one took a liking to my daughter & myself, and was calm but not timid or shy, but not displaying dominant behavior was my method of choosing this time around. She wasnt overly excited and rowdy to where she was jumping up on my daughter, but she did show interest enough to want to play with her calmly.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Honestly picking Luna I did everything wrong , I chose based on color I wanted a blue with white markings lol, But i did luck out with her she is hands down my best ,calmest, down for anything dog I have. With cali we took a good couple of days we picked her out of 3 litters 16 pups. We liked the markings there were a couple with the same markings one was brindle { im not big on brindle } but posture was the same on both of them and we liked there build. The thing that drew her to us was her attitude and outgoingness, she was always at the front barking at us { i like feisty }. We thought about it over night and we couldnt stop thinking of her I think we ended up back there at like midnight and brought her home.
Crush was a planned purchase based on bloodlines and parents looks we waited over a year for him as the breeding got pushed back a couple times, we knew the guy doing the breeding. Although he was suppose to be a she lol, turned out he was the only pup and although we had said no a few times it just kinda worked out . He was flown here from LA and havent regretted it since, he has an awesome personality although his nickname is creep for a good reason.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Honestly, not only did I go about things the wrong way- I wasn't even looking for a pitbull! I was looking into getting a neapoitan mastiff or a great dane. Unfortunately neo's are between R10 000 and R20 000 here.
All I knew was that the next dog I got had to be papered and unfortunately most danes here are not papered.

I spent most of everyday on gumtree and junkmail just browsing the dogs for sale section and came across an ad with a pic of the 2 most beautiful pits I've ever seen. I called them up, told them I wanted the biggest male and voila!

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I didn't choose my pups my pups were chosen for me by the breeder. I have always felt that pups are pups and there is really not much to tell at that age you have to watch them grow and mature before you can get an idea of what you have. I am sure the average person will pick out pups they like based on personality and color ect ect. But my philosophy on pups is they change month to month what they act like at 4 months will change by the time they hit 12 months of age and as they continue to mature they will change even more,so I don't bank much on pups. If I pick up a pup I tend to like the most troublesome pup out of the litter but that's just me. Other than that I let em grow and wait on them to mature before I can really get an idea of what I am working with. No special sauce for me just patience and luck LOL.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
I chose my last two pups, envy and cotija, solely on pedigree, height, paw size, and markings.

When they are pups u cant see their true height, since they are pups still, but in the bully world, some like to choose pups by head piece, paw size, and eye separation; besides the pedigree.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
I picked Kane based on his color at first, I knew I wanted a puppy who was mostly brown with a little white on them. And then when I picked him up and cradled him to my chest, he snuggled right up to me and that was that. He was the first puppy I picked up, but I knew he was the right one for me. And despite the mistakes I've made with him, he's been everything I could want in a dog.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The process we went through to find a puppy was difficult. We went to every shelter in our area and then some. If the shelter had any of the bully breeds, they weren't good with cats or male (we specifically wanted female). We were willing to adopt an older one too but once again, no one was good with cats and we had one. We finally found a female puppy. She was solid blue and her name was Pearl. She was an absolute sweetheart and was surrendered because the previous owner's landlord wouldn't allow them to keep her. We filled out all the information and went through the screening process with flying colors and then just as we were about to finalize everything, someone adopted her right from underneath us.

Discouraged at the loss of that we went online looking for puppies and we found Mugen. She was the last one of her litter and wasn't too far from us. The house she and her litter mates were born and raised in was clean and was full of children and the dogs were all treated like family even the puppies. We called the number and were given a series of questions we had to answer and then finally the people said they wanted to drive to us to inspect our home to make sure it was suitable for their puppy to go to. They had gotten many calls asking for a "fighting dog" and were disgusted at the thought and made sure the were thorough about finding a proper home. She came with all of her shots and records, her registry papers were in the mail but we honestly don't care about them since she will never be in show and is just another member to our family.

The people left us their information just in case anything should happen where we couldn't keep her so they could take her back and not even want money for it. Overall I was very pleased and could not have asked for a better, funnier, sweeter dog.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I've always picked the most outgoing trouble maker. Watching them interact, I just like the spunky ,confident ones. I'm not a laid back person myself and probably pick a dog based on my personality. I've loved all of my choices as they have kept me busy for the last 25 years.

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
I went back and looked at some photos of your pup. He looks like a cute and happy camper. Was it your first pitbull? I bet you'll never go back to an ordinary dog:) Amazing how they add so much more to your life with their energy levels and all around crazy personality.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have NEVER owned a pitbull, this time last year I was just as misinformed about the breed as the majority of the people.

I was looking for another Basset Hound but couldnt find one that looked good enough compared to my old one.

a friend recommended a pitbull....I would never consider one from cali because here there are too many morons just churning out dogs for profit.

and Samson (i bought him in PA/NJ and flew back with him on a trip out there i took) .....he is the most outgoing dog I have ever met, he loves everyone....anyone enters the room he goes and greets them immediately and u are 100% right...i will never buy another breed....this dog is incredible....could i use a rest from him chewing my hands until they are silly putty? sure...

would i change anything about him? nope

·
Registered
691 Posts
Because I was looking for a puppy, and my friend's bully had a little, I went and looked. I didn't choose Kandi... Kandi chose me. In a few years after I get settled with my degree I will be choosing a bully from an actual reputable kennel, but for this questions, my dog chose me... She was the one that came to me, and I could tell she was the one that wanted to own me :)

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
A lot depends on what you are picking the puppy FOR. Are you looking for a pet? A show dog? A competition dog (in what venue?) A LOT can be told about a dog's adult personality traits during those weeks, and some depends on how you train them from that point forward. You won't change a pup's innate personality, though you can build up (or dampen) drive and you can teach behaviors. Different personality types are better suited for different things. Are they the first to explore everything? The middle? or are they the last? How do they react to environmental stimuli? Sounds, surfaces, smells?

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
O'Malley chose me; Out of all of the puppies in his litter.
He followed my every move and when I picked him up he layed his head on my shoulder,went limp,and sighed. That was it, he was MINE! Flawed and all <3

Excuse my no makeup,lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts