Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my eyes my boy is in pretty good shape but ive seen pics of some other dogs on here where it looks like they have zero body fat there just lean as hell but healthy how do i achieve that with my boy

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Good genes are a huge help. :)

How often do you exercise him and what type of exercises do you do?

Do you have any pictures?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Post some pictures please and how old is he? You are limited by genetics but can help with conditioning. Also what food do you feed, how much per day, what type of exercise do you do now, and how much does he weigh. All that will help us give you some advice ;)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hes 37lbs give or take and i walk him for exercise an hour to 2 and thats not including the little bs walks like me going to da bank a 20min walk away or the pizzeria for food i give him a big bowl of purina 1x a day I notice also sometimes he'll self diet himself he wont eat all day but ill catch him eating at 2 am
theres a pic of him in my album

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
everyne asked my question lol , how old is he? and i like running for my dogs it works great and swimming if your dog will do water , only 1 of mine will lol. but exercise is the best way to get that toned look , also what do you feed? and how much? any supplements?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
everyne asked my question lol , how old is he? and i like running for my dogs it works great and swimming if your dog will do water , only 1 of mine will lol. but exercise is the best way to get that toned look , also what do you feed? and how much? any supplements?
no supplements just alotta long hand walks i feed him 1x a day purina dog chow

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wats a good choice of food dat wont break the bank bc ive seen some crazy prices and it wasnt even a 10lb bag of food

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Get him off purina...its crap food. You can start there :D check that thread out. Remember you are what you eat and if you are feeding your dog corn and by-products he aint gonna be healthy or fit eating it.

http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/3749-pet-food-rating-comparison-chart.html
wats a good choice of food dat wont break the bank bc ive seen some crazy prices and it wasnt even a 10lb bag of food
Check out the thread I provided you with for pet food and comparison. Here is another thread on some great supplements as well. Some of the supplements like yogurt, flax oil, and ACV are very cheap and you can get them at your grocery store. Taste of the wild is a good food with no grain and healthy ingredients. I know its one of the cheapest grain free foods for the quality.....I forget how much exactly though.
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/36127-supplement-sticky-why-not.html

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Get him off purina...its crap food. You can start there :D check that thread out. Remember you are what you eat and if you are feeding your dog corn and by-products he aint gonna be healthy or fit eating it.

http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/3749-pet-food-rating-comparison-chart.html
that helped imma change his food the hard thing is the petco near me sucks when it comes to food i use to have him on biljac but they were inconsistent when they caried it but dat i see is also garbage

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
that helped imma change his food the hard thing is the petco near me sucks when it comes to food i use to have him on biljac but they were inconsistent when they caried it but dat i see is also garbage
Yes, bil jac is crap too. Basically anything you can buy at a grocery store is bad quality food. Canidae is another good food for the price. I think you can get like 40 lbs for 30 bucks. See what your local Petco has...if not I would go to some little pet shop around your area. The big chain stores don't always carry all the good stuff.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Ok first off, that is one gorgeous boy :love:
What I do to keep my boy in great shape is, spring pole, flirt pole, fetch and regular walks. I'm also doing drag work with him right now, to get him ready for weigh pulling. His favorite thing ever though is the spring pole. He'd spend all day swinging off that darn thing if I let him lol. Like every one said above you really want to get him on a quality food as well. Good luck with your boy and please post more pics for us ;)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
id tell you orijen like i feed but the price is at the very high end lol , i have heard kirkland is pretty good and the price is great if you have a costco near you.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i realized that i buy my food at petco. cash is healthy and toned nicely havent had a problem with him health wise i kinda just wanted to take it up a notch with him

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok first off, that is one gorgeous boy :love:
What I do to keep my boy in great shape is, spring pole, flirt pole, fetch and regular walks. I'm also doing drag work with him right now, to get him ready for weigh pulling. His favorite thing ever though is the spring pole. He'd spend all day swinging off that darn thing if I let him lol. Like every one said above you really want to get him on a quality food as well. Good luck with your boy and please post more pics for us ;)
thankyou, ive tried many times to get him on a springpole he wont even touch it lol he only likes chasing balls for a boy hes a bit of a diva lmfao

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
hes 37lbs give or take and i walk him for exercise an hour to 2 and thats not including the little bs walks like me going to da bank a 20min walk away or the pizzeria for food i give him a big bowl of purina 1x a day I notice also sometimes he'll self diet himself he wont eat all day but ill catch him eating at 2 am
theres a pic of him in my album
First mistake you are free feeding him you need to feed him twice a day and in measured amounts. I feed about 1 cup twice a day for a dog at that weight. Some times 1.5 cups twice a day depending on how they look. If you do not measure you do not know how much they are eating and impossible to get them into proper shape. Not eating all his food is because he is being over fed. If my dogs don't eat I know they are sick, I think they finish the food before it even comes off the scoop! lol They are not starved they are hungry and have proper metabolism. The other thing is if you feed once a day the body stores fat, twice a day it burns what they eat if they are eating a proper amount of food.

Next get off Purina it is crappy food! I feed Kirkland chicken and rice from Costco it is $25 for 40lbs if you do not have a Costco card then try Diamond, they are another good food without breaking the bank.
All my dogs are fed Costco food and look great.

Once you change what you are feeding, how much, and how often your dog will look a lot better.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I feed Kirkland chicken and rice from Costco it is $25 for 40lbs
I am jealous of your food prices... I used to feed the same thing, but here it's $50 for a 40lb bag!! Sorry, off topic, but had to point that out!

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Breaking it up into 2-3 smaller meals will help, too. Same concept as with humans. When working out, they tell you to have small snacks all day long, not sit down and eat one massive meal and fast the rest of the day. NVM, it was already said. LOL

1 - 20 of 27 Posts