Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First day on this forum and no sleep for me I guess lol.Since I'm already here,might as well ask something that weighs heavily on my mind for 2 weeks now.
So,in all honesty how do members here feel about cropping? I really like short crop on pits but I feel like such a douche for feeling this way.No matter where I turn,there is no justification for my urge to crop except for the fact that it pleases me estetically.
It's like,I have pit mutts that surely won't pass as Amstaff :D in dog shows (I adore shows,and my bf's Dogo is a dog show veteran,so he had an excuse to crop :poop:).
I've seen that many experienced owners here who have great pits left them with natural ears,so I'm not sure if I'm in for some hardcore bash but be honest.

Plus,what bothers me the most is the fact that they'll go through some unnecessary trouble for literally nothing,not to mention people will see me and instantly think I'm an idiot,it's not like I have a Doberman.

I've searched crop-related themes here,but it's more or less specific question when the decision has been made,I couldn't find any solid opinion from long-term members.

I have only a month before I can get it done,and I know I should wait for their heads to develop a bit more,but I just needed to ask you in hopes of stopping my doubts.

What is the main reason you did it and would do it again,and the opposite? Do you think badly of owners that do crop for nothing but their preference?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your opinion,I agree and it makes me feel even worse.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because it seems to me you're an established pit lover whose input means more than some random guy saying-do it,what the heck not,and I kinda look up to owners I respect cuz they are serving noble purpose for this breed.It's not that I'm suckin up to you,it's just that I feel I need to look up to the people who actually benefit the pits.
And a huge part of me knows that making my pits resemble fighting dogs which is the most horrific thing ever done to dogs,is like-pointless.But I like the look so badly.And I feel stuck.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Honestly in my opinion it's basically up to the owners. Not everyone crops their dogs ears, but you are entitled to. I too like the way it looks, but it is a bit of work in the beginning. It's not as if it will effect your dogs behavior in any way, you are just changing the look. In the end it is up to you. Do you want to spend the money on getting their ears cropped?

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
Hey, I just know how much it costs to raise a puppy, let alone TWO, lol. Two times the shots, two spays, twice the food (shudder) Have you had them scraped for Demodex? The darker one looks like she has some generalized Demodex going on, which wouldn't be at all surprising given the compromised health situation they were in. But I'm dog poor, so spending money on cosmetic surgery isn't in my budget.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing is,money is not a problem because where I live,it is done by most licensed vets in a vet clinic and is not expensive at all,for one US crop they can get cropped,spayed and eat K-9 for half a month(per dog).We wouldn't be silly to keep them both if we weren't sure the budget allows us to.

Really,it is purely moral dillema for me.Not the crate,the harness,food,toys,vet and similar expenses and that's why I'm having a hard time even more.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Because it seems to me you're an established pit lover whose input means more than some random guy saying-do it,what the heck not,and I kinda look up to owners I respect cuz they are serving noble purpose for this breed.It's not that I'm suckin up to you,it's just that I feel I need to look up to the people who actually benefit the pits.
And a huge part of me knows that making my pits resemble fighting dogs which is the most horrific thing ever done to dogs,is like-pointless.But I like the look so badly.And I feel stuck.
Now im not saying that I approve of dog fighting, so don't think that. But I do acknowledge this breeds fighting past. And if those dogmen of the past hadn't done what they did, u wouldn't have the breed characteristics that we have. Now, also if u learn a lil bit about dogmen of the past u'd also relize that cropped ears were not prefered on a fighter. Exposes too much of the inner ear to damage, the flap is better for protection from another dog.

Crop if u want, its all looks. And its a personal choice. :) I like the look on certain dogs too.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've read so much shoot about this breed(s) I feel like anything I state comes off as ignorant,and it probably is.So,thanks for pointing the fact out!
I'm gonna think about it real hard,but I don't want to see my pits with no ears and think to myself-idiot,you.However,I don't want to look at them when the time for doing crop has passed and think to myself-idiot,you!
Maybe I'm just making a too big of a deal out of it,but still if it wasn't,I wouldn't feel this way,right?

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
If you like the way it looks, and money is not a problem... I say go for it... I to am for the cropped look, it makes them look more regal in my opinion :)

·
Common Sense Expert
699 Posts
I would say to do it, but it should be on the bottom of the list when it comes to things to be concerned about. Wait until their health is up and then start on things that aren't so important like cropping

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Of course,we have a long month of vet visits ahead of us and I wouldn't expose them to injury which I find cropping to be,not before I make sure they are in a shape of a normal pups.Which again gets my guilty conciseness going,after what they've been through,put them in bandages again.That regal look is a mofo.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Well I know puppys ears change when they are teething, so between 4-6 months, but most vets do not like to crop past 3 months or so. I know some vets go to a year, but the ear cartilage is more established, firmer, so MY OPINION is it must hurt more, lol. Totally not expert or vet opinion, lol. I love a natural rose prick ear. There are very few crops that I like. Totally my opinion. Totally to each their own. Just make sure you find a vet you TRUST and one you have seen his work on. I have heard many people say they went in looking for one style and the vet was not on the same page and they were not happy. I also want to say some pups really express themselves in their ears, My boy totally does. Seeing as I don't have a cropped dog, it makes me wonder if you can still read their ears in order to access their anxiety and mood based off their position just as easy when they are gone, but I would think it would be harder.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Cropping is a personal preference, majority of Bulldogs with cropped ears are super curs.. Some are show, some are pets.. Some that are also, "pro-cropping" are hunters.

Personally i prefer natural appearance and over all care, conditioning, etc.. I'd rather see people own any breed that serves a purpose and earns keep vs. any "debate" of crop no crop, show no show, etc.

Anyway, it all boils down to you want as you're the one feeding the animal(s), no one else is.

Don't be fooled by media portraying and ignorance, ear cropping has nothing to do with "dog fighting"..

Reactions: Kingsgurl

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The older they are the more it is going to hurt,and I'm aware of that,partially that's why I have this pressure to decide as soon as possible.Most vets here wouldn't do it after 3 months,no way,at least licensed,working ones.We have a few vets options,since our guy now doesn't seem to give a fork as long as he promotes Royal Canin.I'm really in favor of short crops,even battle crop looks better to me than the longer ones.I guess I'll have to rely on body language when it comes to mood swings,which I hope will be as rare as me going to sleep at a decent time lol.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
The older they are the more it is going to hurt,and I'm aware of that,partially that's why I have this pressure to decide as soon as possible.Most vets here wouldn't do it after 3 months,no way,at least licensed,working ones.We have a few vets options,since our guy now doesn't seem to give a fork as long as he promotes Royal Canin.I'm really in favor of short crops,even battle crop looks better to me than the longer ones.I guess I'll have to rely on body language when it comes to mood swings,which I hope will be as rare as me going to sleep at a decent time lol.
Ears alone have no bearing on being able to read your animal.. Knowing your dog like the back of your hand is the only thing that matters.

Ears can make it easier to read facial expressions, however if that is what you need to be able to understand your dog needs to use the bathroom, for instance.. (in other words, being able to read your dog) than you have a larger problem than just deciding on what to do with the ears.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I personally cannot justify doing it to my dog, and personally dont like the look to begin with, among many other reasons. but in the end it is for no other reason but aesthetics and if you feel that's how your pup would look best than it is your choice and yours alone.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Registered
154 Posts
Since my girl came to me with her ears cropped, you learn to read the dogs expressions even without ears. (she has a poorly done battle crop) and honestly I like the look on some dogs. Some dogs it makes their heads look weird. Lol. But I'd say the biggest pain is keeping hiro's ears clean. Stuff gets in them so easily, especially when it's rainy. I had to get her a raincoat! Lol. All in all it's your decision, and it's purely aesthetic. If money isn't a problem and you have the patience to keep them clean, then why not?

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
Don't bother me. It's a matter of opinion like circumcision.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

1 - 20 of 86 Posts