Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have a 2 year old apbt foster that loves to be outside. When he's inside he acts so nervous and scared. We have had him for a few months and have been trying to work on this but it's still the same. He always prefers to be outside. We try to let the dogs outback as often as they want. They know to go to the back door. We try to walk everyone as much as possible.

But for the last few days Jonas (the foster) has dug his way out of the backyard twice. Both times he dug in two different places and he was only unsupervised for about 30 minutes. We are not allowed to tether him which is noted in the foster agreement we signed. None of the dogs are ever outside when we are not home. I have been walking him alot more to try and wear him out but he still did it. Today he made a new hole and was almost out.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I really don't want to have to give him back but I worry about his safety and the safety of my other dogs too. It is becoming overwhelming as of now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Well my dog was a very good escape artist. I spent days lining the bottom of my fence with rocks trying to keep him in and keep the yard looking respectable. After I finished that he started jumping the fence, the only thing that has worked for me and was fast and cheaper than I expected was an electric fence. I ran the fence away from the main fence, so he can't get close enough to gauge the distance to jump it. Also to scare him (be easy on me people) I grabbed him and then grabbed the fence, and held onto it long enough to give us both several jolts. He runs all over the yard, but stays a good 12-18 inches from the electric fence now. That's what worked for me, good luck!

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
i'm not sure what kind of money you're looking into investing into him, since he's a foster and i know you will probably be needing money if thor needs any treatment as well, so sadly enough, if he keeps doing it if you don't have the funds to go about doing something else like lining the edge of the fence with rock or something along those lines, you might have to give him back :(

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Well, if you're going to continue to foster I would reccomend getting a small kennel set up... maybe since you only have the one outside dog just get one kennel. Since he's an escape artist i wouldn't reccomend the Chainlink Kennels. They have these at Lowes for alittle over 300 bones... get some of those walk way stones for flooring so it's easy clean up with a little bleach and some hose action. 5'W x 10'L x 6'H Imperial Kennel Kit Then if a tarp won't keep him in a good sized peice of plywood ontop. I would cement it in the ground, put stakes aorund the base of it, or build a wooden base around it so he doesn't move it.

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
I would chain him. Safest way.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
She's in a place where the Chaining is illegal which sucks! I was trying to think outside the box for this one :)

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Oh, that sucks.

·
Premium Member
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the thing is I signed an agreement with the rescue that said I would not chain him or leave him outside for long amounts of time so it sucks for me...LOL

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would just give it back if i could not deal with it. do you think you will adopt it full time cause if you think you might i say spend the money!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts