Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know there are a million and one nick names for our breed. The official being American Pit Bull Terrier, nick names Pit, Pit Bull, Pittie, Pibble, Bulldog ect.

If I am just hanging out with people talking dogs I will call them pit's.

If I am trying to educate someone I will use the official breed name but shorten it to pit when they get the point.

Some people get a little bent out of shape over the term pit. I don't get it. It is just a shortened version of the name. IMO. If we all know what we are talking about in the convo, why drag out the whole name?

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I use whatever word leave my mouth lol

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Most people dont no what the f im talking about when i say bulldog (the think EBD) and saying american pitbull terrier is too long and i sound like a 'know it all'
If im talking to ddogmen/women friends i will refer the appropriate dog a bulldog, house pet normally a pitty

I just say pitbull to the public

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
If I am talking to my fellow dog folks I call them bulldogs. If I am talking to just any joe blow I call them American Pitbull Terriers.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I usually make a qualifying statement first. Something like "pit bull is not a breed it's a type of dog like sheep dog or cattle dog. When I say pit bull, I mean the American Pit Bull Terrier". Then from that point on I'll just say pit bull. I don't like "pit" personally. That's a hole in the ground!:rofl:

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I usually say American Pit Bull Terrier, because generally when I'm required to say the breed name it's during an informational conversation/discussion.

I do say pit bull too though, casually.

·
Registered
780 Posts
People really dont know anything about APBT's or Bullies up here,if i walk loki everybody asks if hes a "texas red nose" LOL i mean EVERYTIME or They ask if pepper is a bluenose.Ill always start out by using the proper term then if they dont get it ill move on to stuff like staffy/bully/pittie until the puzzled look leaves their face LOL i lost track of how many times ive explained what an american bully is up here.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
They're all bulldogs and or bandogs... if anyone is curious I point them to stratton and Colby; I can spend all day telling them the truth while they agree but they dont really agree.. If they read it themselves and come to realize HOW the APBT came to be the APBT.. Then they usually dont have an issue with my lingo.. i've had to adapt my lingo talking on GPB because of people in general have no real clue to what an APBT is. My 145lbs whopper is an APBT right? LOL :hammer:

·
Banned
44 Posts
I say American Pit Bull Terrier. The first time someone asked me what kind of dog Ariya was and I said Pit bull they kind of edged back, yet they were bending over petting her just a moment ago. I live in a small town so everyone knows everyone anyway...

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Depends on who I'm talking to.If I'm talking to people I actually want to be talking to about the dogs I will either say apbt (which then I usually have to tell them what means :hammer:) or I will say a bully or American Bully if I'm talking about them.And then they usually ask what that is too.:hammer:
If it's someone that I don't want to talk to for very long I will say pit

·
Registered
225 Posts
I've got American Bullies, and that's what I say if asked, if they're interested I give my 5 cent infomercial on AM Bullies. The fellow on the corner has 3 APBT's , generally visible in his yard, so I point out the differences to the asker if I'm near home.
To other Bully owners, they are Bullies.
An old-timer visiting a relative on the street from out of state referred to mine as 'bulldogs', said his father used to raise them, that's the only time I heard that term around here.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Well...I'm not sure what to call Bruno anymore. LOL. I've been calling him APBT/AM BULLY cross.

I am starting to try and explain the differences between the two. Also had to tell the lady who said her daughter breeds pure 180 pound pit bulls, that her daughter did not have pit bulls.

She was pissy at first,but once I shooted out the facts, she was surprised.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,362 Posts
:rofl: @ 180 APBTs .. :hammer: .. people

K.I.S.S.
Bandogs ... and .. Bulldogs.. I wish people would educate themselves before they jumped waist deep in it.. Stratton .. Colby .. anyone ?? anyone ??

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
People really dont know anything about APBT's or Bullies up here,if i walk loki everybody asks if hes a "texas red nose" LOL i mean EVERYTIME or They ask if pepper is a bluenose.Ill always start out by using the proper term then if they dont get it ill move on to stuff like staffy/bully/pittie until the puzzled look leaves their face LOL i lost track of how many times ive explained what an american bully is up here.
DO YOU HAVE 'TEXAS REDNOSE' THERE TOO, I thought it was just a New Zealand thing. :rofl:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts