Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i'm having a little difficulty picking out a walking harness and collar. right now his neck size is about 17 inches. But I dont want to buy a harness & collar that he'll outgrow. So would it be safe to say his neck will grow another two to three inches?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Try looking for an adjustable harness it is hard to tell unless you know your dogs bloodline about how big they will be. My Adults are about 17" so it hard to tell how big your guy will get. Do you know how big his parents were?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember the dad being super tall & scary looking. The mother is really cute. Can't see the dads neck though.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the size for my girls changed drastically from that age to what they are now { and they havent stopped yet}. for my youngest pup I bought this leather collar and it has gromets all the way around it kinda looks like its for decoration but it allows him to go from like 8'' in size all the way up to 18'' saves the money of having to keep buying new collars for awhile and its thick and tuff. the harness unless its adjustable he will out grow it , so I agree check and see if you can find an adjustable one.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I was told by the working dog folks to start with a training harness they are cheap and will last until the dog is full grown. I like yourself didn't want to spend a heap load of money for a custom harness that my pup wouldn't be able to wear when he hit 2. So I would start with a trainer and when your dog is full grown you can have him properly measured for a harness.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hm I was thinking of a chain-link type collar. How do you guys feel about those? not as daily wear, just when I take Toby with me to bbq's and such. Probably not the XXL ones either, a regular standard one.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I am not a fan of putting weighted or chained collars around a dog's neck. I personally wouldn't do it or tell anyone else to do it. But I know people do use them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts