Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just paid $460 for my lil guys ears... he just came home today too. Theres only 2 Vets out here in Vegas that i know of or could find that crop ears... the other Vet was cheaper by like $100 but i didnt like their customer service. Both Vets were reputable by people here that have got their pits done. I think the price I paid was worth it. The crop looks good and it included all the meds, procedure, sutures and as many tapings that he will need. The only thing i dont like about it is the E-cone that they provided him, its a nylon type that folds up and doesnt protect him from when he bumps into something or attempts to scratch. I will be going to by a hard plastic one to prevent it. The sutures i also have concern about... ive seen pictures of the stitches all the way throughout the ear but his is kinda spaced out? i didnt know if this was bad or not... what do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Trapboi I can give you at least 10 different vets numbers in our area that will do it cheaper, but Dr. Thoma is the best that i've seen, personally dealt with, and best consistantly. I got her number by asking someone just like you. DO NOT GO TO HERSCHEL and DO NOT GO TO RUSSELL ROAD ANIMAL HOSPITAL they do horrendous work. I've only seen lopsided crops from Herschel... about 10 different dogs from different owners. and I experienced Russell road personally, lopsided crop both in length and width, when I picked up my puppy they put him in my arms... he shook his head and blood splattered everywhere. he had horrible scarring because of a poor stitch job. I was unsatisfied and tried to talk with the vet there and she refused to see me post surgery. I called 5 times and she was never available to speak with me about my concerns.

Dr. Thoma only does crops on Bully Breeds. She guarantees her work. She won't preform the opperation if she doesn't think that they will stand. I had a hard time with my eldests left ear...trying to get it to stand. She offered to put an implant in at no charge if it didn't stand after the final wrapping. after the final wrapping came off they stood perfectly. The 200ish includes pain meds, e-collar, antibiotics, all follow up apointments for "training" the ears if needed. Both of my dogs left their office with the sides of their ears looking like candy canes because the stitching was so precise and tight.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I went the route that Sleipner stated, Dr. Robert LaBounty in Studio City, CA. $175 no bloodwork, no overnight stay, and he let me stand right next to him and watch the whole procedure. That vet is old school, and very very cool, quite a comedian I might add.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
is it only personal preference or is there a reason to crop or not to crop...that is the question
I feel that it is personal preference, however there are some reasons out there that people crop.

Some examples:

People that take their dogs hunting might worry about their dog's ear getting caught on a sharp branch, or ripped off by a boar (for the hoghunters). It makes a difference because if the little vein in the ear gets punctured, there is a lot of blood loss.

To prevent possible ear infections later in life.

That's all I can think of right now :)

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
yeah its a personal choice... i prefer it becuase the dog looks more sleek and serious. but u dont have to! :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I see you're in Jacksonville! We live in Kingsland, GA! I took my pup to Waycross, GA to Satilla Animal Clinic. They did a GREAT job!!! It was $318. That was including the overnight stay, bloodwork, pain meds, and they did the laser crop. I seriously could not be anymore satisfied. They were great and really cared about our pup!

This was right after taking the bandages off!

I'll take a more recent pic and post it then!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
i got mine done for about 300

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
I paid $250 before but price just went up to $415.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I have a couple questions...

What does the bloodwork tell them?

Has anyone been denied an ear crop, or know anyone that has been denied an ear crop because of the "Bloodwork" results?

I mean, what specifically are they checking with their blood that would disqualify a dog from getting their ears cropped?

21 - 40 of 65 Posts