Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when i rescued my puppy at 4 weeks, the vet told me to feed her milk of course but to slowly feed her rice, chicken and veggies blended and mushed as well for about two weeks and then to start slowly feeding her some puppy food. Now at 7 weeks old I bought her orijen puppy food which i still put in a blender to make it smaller and easier for her to eat. I just don't know how much to feed her? I know this sounds dumb but I don't think Im reading the directions correctly or if i even know how to read them :hammer: lol.

Im currently not home so I don't have the bag with me but i think it says 1cup (120g) for 24hrs? I'm really not sure whats the right amount for her? she can eat a horse if id let her.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
At 7 weeks there is no need to put it in a blender. :) I'd just put it in warm water and let her eat as much as she wants in a 20 minute time frame. After 20minutes, take up the food. I would do this 3 times a day at her age -- breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then at around 12 weeks you can go to two feelings a day and at that time start measuring out. At 12 weeks (3 months) I was giving around 1 cup twice a day but it will vary from pup to pup and their activity level.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At 7 weeks there is no need to put it in a blender. :) I'd just put it in warm water and let her eat as much as she wants in a 20 minute time frame. After 20minutes, take up the food. I would do this 3 times a day at her age -- breakfast, lunch and dinner. Then at around 12 weeks you can go to two feelings a day and at that time start measuring out. At 12 weeks (3 months) I was giving around 1 cup twice a day but it will vary from pup to pup and their activity level.
wow thank you so much! that really helped. Im so over protective of my puppy, that I'm afraid of her choking or over eating because of her insane appetite lol. Thanks again!

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Well.. there has got to be a little sense taken here as well.. How fast was the pup eating? Was that the first time the pup ever had dry food? Did you use cow's milk in the beginning? These are all important. Most important though.. is the pup hungry again this morning? :]

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well.. there has got to be a little sense taken here as well.. How fast was the pup eating? Was that the first time the pup ever had dry food? Did you use cow's milk in the beginning? These are all important. Most important though.. is the pup hungry again this morning? :]
well, the puppy eats like its her last meal in life, it wasn't her first time eating dry food but I did add milk (goat milk) on top to get her interested as I usually do. And yeah, puppy was back to eating like the world was ending in the morning lol.
Maybe she just ate it too quickly? however she did wake up with diarrhea.. maybe its the orijin puppy food, it was her first time eating as much as she did. She just loves food lol.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
A nice quality food like Orijen is rich and probably a shock to the system. So the loose poop makes sense to me. She probably threw up because she ate too fast. You can buy bowls that are designed to slow down fast eaters, or you can just pour the food on the floor so that it spreads everywhere. Do you have pictures of her, I just want to see her weight? Some dogs do this because they are truly very hungry and others have a survive mentality. I have a dog like this-- scarfs the food down haha!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts