Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had mentioned in my last thread that dixie is really sensitive and gets scared easily. When anyone comes in the house or knocks on the door she growls and barks until they come in and then she is all smiles. However, every once in a while someone will be in the house that gives her a bad vibe or something and she will go nuts if they get close to her. She doesnt try and bite but she does get pretty scary. Also, sometimes if someone approaches me in public she does the same thing. Yesterday, a homeless man started walking up to me and she went crazy. Is this normal or should I try to take her to a trainer and work on these issues?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the barking growling is normal to me I have some who do that when someone knocks and other that do nothing and continue sleeping lol. The people she reacts to badly do you know them well? I always listen to my dogs instinct if they dont like someone like that , that person sure wouldnt be in my house. If you know the people I would suggest correcting that behaviour sounds like the dog is fearful or protective towards that person for some reason { going through this exact thing with one of my dogs} . I would have a leash on him with a choke chain on and if he does that behaviour towards someone a quick correction { quick snap } and a loud No or shhhhhh is what we have been using. I would deff tell people no contact with him , no eye contact or physical or verbal communication with him until he has calmed down. Another option if he doesnt calm down is to crate when people come over. You always want to protect your dog and if you think the situation isnt resolving dont leave himi until something bad happens. You may be able to find a trainer to help but make sure they have experience with this breed, fear issues and know what they are doing . We have been through a few who sounded great on paper an been more then a waste of time.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She never acts like that to people I know. It is always someone my roommate brings over (me and my roommates dont get along) or the guy who works on our house (who we know for a fact stole money from our house). So maybe she is just a good judge of character lol But I will definitely save this thread and if she starts doing it to people I know then I will do what you suggested. Thank you very much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts