Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so after talking to my trainer and doing some research i am going to switch Odin over to a half raw diet. kibble in the AM and raw at night. i know alot of people say go all the way. but time wise and food wise i want to go half and if it works out and i get a second fridge like i want, then i will switch completely. but for now he has no problems digesting food and he will have about 10hrs between feedings so his food should digest fine.

what my real question is how much raw does he need at night? im currently feeding him TotW high prairie 1 cup each feeding and he weighs somewhere around 65lbs. my new scale wont register either me or my BF holding him lol. so yeah how much raw?

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
2% of his body weight is what you want to feed if your feeding ALL raw. I do know a few that feed both but it's always 12 hours apart from the kibble feeding. Kibble digests slower than raw which is why it's best to just do one or the other.

Check out this informative site....this is what I followed getting started.
http://preymodelraw.com/how-to-get-started/

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2% of his body weight is what you want to feed if your feeding ALL raw. I do know a few that feed both but it's always 12 hours apart from the kibble feeding. Kibble digests slower than raw which is why it's best to just do one or the other.

Check out this informative site....this is what I followed getting started.
How to Get Started | Prey Model Raw
thanks. i will look into it. 2% of his body weight is 1.3 lbs and i know a cup = 8oz. sweet :D

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Why are you wanting to do half and half? Benefits won't really be all that different than just feeding a higher quality kibble, in some dogs a better kibble would out weigh half and half. It is a waste of money if your still feeding kibble in terms of every day, no offense to your trainer but trainers don't equal nutritionist.. Some may have studied and be knowledgeable in both basis however the typical trainer is not..

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I honestly would just hold off on feeding raw until you can go on it 100 % otherwise its going to confuse his digestive system and could cause stomach issues. in the end its up to you but i switched cold turkey after fasting my dog for 24 hrs which allows a smoother transition.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
I agree with Bella about the 24 hour fast! This definitely helps when switching not only to raw but if the dog is going from a crappy kibble to a quality one.

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
I agree with going all out. But at the same time. I have been supplimenting chicken bits with Ecko's diet as well. But, I forsee a chest freezer in my VERY near future, and the 24 hour fast and 100% all in. The chicken bits are mostly to see if he is allergic to the chicken raw as opposed to processed.
Odin, hit up CL and see if you can locate a cheap chest freezer, or mini fride to switch all out. I know the grocery around the corner from me has started selling the less then attractive meats relatively cheap.
Kibble CAN be easier when traveling, but there is always a grocery or butcher wherever I go, so raw will work for that too. :)

1 bag of kibble left, by then I should have the freezer and the change will begin. I'm going to use the prey model that BnB posted a link to.

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with going all out. But at the same time. I have been supplimenting chicken bits with Ecko's diet as well. But, I forsee a chest freezer in my VERY near future, and the 24 hour fast and 100% all in. The chicken bits are mostly to see if he is allergic to the chicken raw as opposed to processed.
Odin, hit up CL and see if you can locate a cheap chest freezer, or mini fride to switch all out. I know the grocery around the corner from me has started selling the less then attractive meats relatively cheap.
Kibble CAN be easier when traveling, but there is always a grocery or butcher wherever I go, so raw will work for that too. :)

1 bag of kibble left, by then I should have the freezer and the change will begin. I'm going to use the prey model that BnB posted a link to.
I guess u could say thats what i was doin too. more or less just seeing if he would take to the chicken well and the bones and all. i am working on finding a fridge/freezer or something. if its a full fridge then my BF will have a place for his beer too. lol. the other issue i have getting a second fridge or freezer is power supply. my poor lil house is from the 50's and the kitchen and garage are on the same circuit. grrr. so i would maybe either put the fridge outside or in my den which both are a lil tacky and unpractical. either that or run an extention cord. i'll work on the details. thanks for everyones suggestions. :D

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
Oooo, if you get a cheap used one, you could decorate it, or turn the fridge part into a keg o rater. That CAN'T look tacky, I don't care WHAT room you put it in. :)

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oooo, if you get a cheap used one, you could decorate it, or turn the fridge part into a keg o rater. That CAN'T look tacky, I don't care WHAT room you put it in. :)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: heck yeah. i wanted told my BF he build a lil cover for it make it look like a lil shed :D raw meat and beer :cheers:

·
Super Moderator
4,593 Posts
It's like a BBQ day all in one package. LOL!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
haha that's awesome, my friend made one of those for out by his pool, he LOVES it, lol.

yeah everything I have read says fast a day or 2 before and then go full on, switching isn't good for them. One thing to toss them a neck or some marrow bone to chew every week or whatever but making their bellys adjust daily when the change takes a few days to work makes them work overtime to digest and they do not get all the nutrients, so its a waste and could hurt the dog eventually. Switching to raw isn't something to do just because you feel like it, takes a LOT of research to make sure you have the right 80/10/10 proportions and that your dog gets everything they need over the long run and how to adjust as you go to make it work for your dog. Keep doing research on it and when you have time to get the freezer, go for it all at once, not bit by bit, whats the point of doing it that way if it costs more and does not benefit your dog?

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's like a BBQ day all in one package. LOL!
hells yes!!!

haha that's awesome, my friend made one of those for out by his pool, he LOVES it, lol.

yeah everything I have read says fast a day or 2 before and then go full on, switching isn't good for them. One thing to toss them a neck or some marrow bone to chew every week or whatever but making their bellys adjust daily when the change takes a few days to work makes them work overtime to digest and they do not get all the nutrients, so its a waste and could hurt the dog eventually. Switching to raw isn't something to do just because you feel like it, takes a LOT of research to make sure you have the right 80/10/10 proportions and that your dog gets everything they need over the long run and how to adjust as you go to make it work for your dog. Keep doing research on it and when you have time to get the freezer, go for it all at once, not bit by bit, whats the point of doing it that way if it costs more and does not benefit your dog?
i wouldnt say it costs more (at the moment), the chicken i bought is cheaper per pound than the kibble. and i would be feeding him something either way. but more or less i got the idea from this thread http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/42591-raw-diet-s.html. i dunno, something im kickin around in my head. lotsa good deals on fridges on CL. now if only one would fit in my 4Runner. lol and one of my customers that goes pheasant and duck hunting said he'll pack me up some of the stuff he doesnt want. so i'll be workin on this. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
nice! Sounds like you are off to a good start. Dont mix meats at first, they say to leave them on one kind for a few weeks before adding anything additional. Totally read that link bella posted it explains it in great detail.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
If you follow the link i provided it will tell you how to feed one protein source for a couple of weeks before you transition on to a new one. and FYI guys......i picked up a brand new haier freezer chest for $150 at BJS wholesale. holds 140 lbs of meat ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you eat different foods that digest differently, do you have issues? We feed around 20% kibble. Makes it easier keeping them on kibble for show weekends. Have no issues with 5 dogs that all look and act great, all different ages. Just make sure you cover all your bases with raw. Switch the types of meat, plenty of organs, liver and bone.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
When you eat different foods that digest differently, do you have issues? We feed around 20% kibble. Makes it easier keeping them on kibble for show weekends. Have no issues with 5 dogs that all look and act great, all different ages. Just make sure you cover all your bases with raw. Switch the types of meat, plenty of organs, liver and bone.
Can't compare humans to dogs when it comes to digestion ;) dogs digest processed kibble and raw differently. If your feeding raw then feed it 100% if your feeding processed dry pellets then feed that 100% but mixing the two isn't the best idea IMO. Dogs digest food differently from us. And a more biologically appropriate raw diet digests faster than processed kibble.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Can't compare humans to dogs when it comes to digestion ;) dogs digest processed kibble and raw differently. If your feeding raw then feed it 100% if your feeding processed dry pellets then feed that 100% but mixing the two isn't the best idea IMO. Dogs digest food differently from us. And a more biologically appropriate raw diet digests faster than processed kibble.
:goodpost:

I agree, cant compare to humans, but I also agree each dog is different. Do what works for your dog, personally I just worry about long term potential damage and lost nutrients, might take a while for human eyes to see what is happening. But hey, I am not on raw, mostly for the reason I cant feed all 7 days this way. Everyone dog is different...

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
lol, if my dog ate even a small portion of what i do he would die

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just am finishing out the chicken I bought him and ill think this threw more. But I like how excited he gets for the chicken. He literally is bouncing up and down. I think 100% raw will be the way I go though.

And for the record he has a steel stomach. He eats things that no human or dog ever should and is just fine. Gear oil, the degreaser cleaner that I was cleaning an engine with, orange peals, cigarettes, and im sure there's more that I don't know about. I always try to watch him like a hawk but my BF .... that's another story. Lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts