Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

I have a 2 year old Jack Russell and a 3 month old pit..

How long before I can leave her in the front garden. Im scared someone will jump over the front wall and steal her cause she is so young ATM

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
Honestly, unless you have her tethered I wouldn't leave her outside at all when your not around IMO. Pit's can jump a 6 foot fence easily if it wants. Just make sure if you are going to tether that your dog can't get close enough to a fence to try and jump over because it can end tragically. As for age to be left outside alone... no clue, I don't leave my dogs outside ever for the same fear that you have of someone taking them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well at the moment they are in the back yard, but I want them in the front at guard dogs

The walls are 6 foot but she is young and will be raising the wall to 8 foot and putting up electric fencing but still want to know when she will be able to defend herself as ATM she is way to young

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Pit bulls are not good guard dogs and get stolen all the time. if you want a guard dog get a shepherd or rottie. BTW when the pit gets older you probably will not be able have them together. Especially when you are not around, that is how people come home to dead dogs. Do some research about the breed before trying to use them as a guard dog.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The Jack Russell is our alarm system and the Pit is there to protect us and scare people off.

We did not get the Pit just to be a guard dog, we could have gotten any large breed dog but we really lv them and my lady had one before so that is why we decided on it. Its not just a guard dog, its part of the family.

I did plenty research on pitbulls before getting one.

Im not to worried about the dogs alone as we have two gardens, so they can be separated once older, but thanks for the advice... will look out for any aggression between them

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
The reason this breed makes horrible guard dogs is because they love people so much. They are not a human aggressive breed and that's why many of them, including adults, can be easily stolen.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
If you want a guard dog,get a German Shepard or a Bull mastiff. A Pit bull was a horrible choice. They don't make good guard dogs at all.

you did plenty of research on them,yet you still got one to guard your property?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yeah, my dogs would leave with anyone... They love people way too much, they would be standing at the gate wagging their tails and anticipating a butt scratch and leave with them. haha

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
they never defend themselves against people, if they do its a rareity and the genetic purety should be questioned.

the problem is that most people who would steal a pit knows that they wont get attacked when they take it

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Make sure you socializee that pit , you don't want to add more attacks to the statistics. Your dog shouldn't display any human aggression without provocation and this includes neutral or friendly strangers in your property. I think it would be a terrible idea for you to get a guardian breed since you already demonstrated poor research skills. A guarding breed will take you for a ride and eat your home.

Reactions: Black Rabbit

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
LOL when wont they be stealed hmmmmm, take a look around and look at all the grown pitbulls being stolen it doesnt stop due to age , especially with intact dogs people want to steal and breed them. Some of my dogs are full grown and I know if someone walked into my backyard when we werent home and offered one a walk or car ride they would go tail wagging, big reason I dont ever leave mine outside when im not home.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Everyone seems to be very critical on this site. I am not a bad dog owner otherwise I would not be here doing research and bringing her up correctly and training her from a young age.

Agreed they love humans but they are also are territorial about their home and a great deterant to people that do not know the breed, I know a few other pit-bull owners that have told me this and I have seen it 1st hand.

Yes rotties and German shepherds are great guard dogs but I prefer smaller dog and as I had said before we lv pitbulls and she is not ONLY a guard dog but part of our family.

Most people here have guard dogs, ranging from poodles to what ever, they are chosen as a house hold member not only a guard dog as at the end of the day if someone wants to break in, they will find a way. People poison dogs here just to break in and if that does not work, they will find another way, its all about opportunity of chance and any dog is less of an opportunity for them to break into a house.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Most pitbulls if someone broke into there home and it was just them they wouldnt do anything , but AS ANY DOG I feel , if someone broke in and posed as a threat to the family most any dog regardless of breed will defend them and protect them. However If your looking for a dog to tie outside and be an actual guard dog this isnt the best choice of breed , there are breeds that are meant to guard property and defend the house and posessions even if you arent home like shephards, dobbis mastiffs ect. Just answering your question above when you asked when wont he be stolen and I see everyone has answered you and they werent being critical , if by critical you mean they didnt answer how you wanted then I dont know , this breed will get stolen at any age there are adults missing all the time . Also if someone can jump in easily to get him then he can jump out easily and thats not what this breed needs or the responsible owners within this breed, he gets out and something happens then we are all to pay.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for your reply angelbaby...

I would never tie my dog outside, they are a companion before they are a guard dog in my eyes. I agree as well that almost any dog will protect you in a situation of danger. I dont care about my house been broken into, i care about my house been broken into when my lady is home alone and I feel that a pitbull will protect her in this situation.

The owner that sold me my her said that after 10 months she should become territorial about our home when we not here and that she should be big enough to warn off intruders... Though thx again for feed back as now I know that I should 1st raise my walls and get electric fencing before letting her out the front in the day :)

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
There is so much wrong on this thread im not going to even bother. Should have done more research, you apparently don't understand what a protection dog needs to possess or actually is, and you have been terribly misguided with the APBT. VERY few bloodlines of the APBT could be suited for that type of work, very few. Do you know the ped?

Big enough? This breed is not a large breed, typically ranging 25 - 55 lbs with very few exceeding the 55 - 60lbs marker. Sounds to me this "breeder" has no idea what they are talking about, BYB at its finest.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Everyone seems to be very critical on this site. I am not a bad dog owner otherwise I would not be here doing research and bringing her up correctly and training her from a young age.

Agreed they love humans but they are also are territorial about their home and a great deterant to people that do not know the breed, I know a few other pit-bull owners that have told me this and I have seen it 1st hand.

Yes rotties and German shepherds are great guard dogs but I prefer smaller dog and as I had said before we lv pitbulls and she is not ONLY a guard dog but part of our family.

Most people here have guard dogs, ranging from poodles to what ever, they are chosen as a house hold member not only a guard dog as at the end of the day if someone wants to break in, they will find a way. People poison dogs here just to break in and if that does not work, they will find another way, its all about opportunity of chance and any dog is less of an opportunity for them to break into a house.
I would love to hear where you got this information about pit bulls being territorial perhaps against other animals or dogs but never to people? Have you seen when yards get raided by animal control? the dogs are taken off their chains and picked up like chihuahuas into the animal control vehicles lol Now try the same approach to a Malinois or a Rottie ... Lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the thing where he told you at 10 months the dog will become territorial perhaps what he ment to say was at 10 months DA { dog aggression can kick in} as they mature usually 10months to a little over year { typical , but really at any time} they can show signs of dog aggression as this is a known trait in this breed. { not all pitbulls are DA but majority are to some extent} So watch her very carefully around other dogs , big reason why we all preach about NO DOG PARKS Lol. If you have multiple dogs or get another dog later on do not leave them unattended when you cant supervise like at night or when you leave the home. Good tool to have and use is a crate , crate training is easy if you havent done that yet there are numerous threads on that here and how to train. I have mulitple dogs , my males dont get along but the rest of them all do however none of them are left together if not being watched,just for preventative measures. maybe thats what he meant by possesive? Any aggression towards a human should never be tolerated with this breed or any breed for that matter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Our puppy is already been socialized everyday and is going to puppy classes to avoid DA, its the last thing I want. We got a female specifically to get along better with our male Jack Russel.

Owners that are personal friends and the owner that sold us her told us that when they are not at home their dogs are territorial and have been great at protecting them when someone has tried to break in when they were at home.

When I say guard dog, i dont mean she will sleep outside or go to any length protect our house from been broken into, or that she will be tied to a pole outside. I mean a guard dog that will bark at someone trying to climb over the wall and protect us when someone breaks in and we are at home.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Our puppy is already been socialized everyday and is going to puppy classes to avoid DA, its the last thing I want. We got a female specifically to get along better with our male Jack Russel.

Owners that are personal friends and the owner that sold us her told us that when they are not at home their dogs are territorial and have been great at protecting them when someone has tried to break in when they were at home.

When I say guard dog, i dont mean she will sleep outside or go to any length protect our house from been broken into, or that she will be tied to a pole outside. I mean a guard dog that will bark at someone trying to climb over the wall and protect us when someone breaks in and we are at home.
1. You can't train genetics, you will face DA eventually no matter how much training you do with her. Especially if she is APBT and not AST, SBT, AmBully, etc.
2. Some of the most respected game dogs were females, while yes you probably have a better chance at success female doesn't mean less DA.
3. Your friends are, well never mind.. A dog barking is not protecting, if anything thats being a watchdog which is not the same thing as a guard dog.

You obviously don't care to learn, theres a lot of experience here and you have the opportunity to learn a great deal here. However if truly believe what your saying and not willing to open up and explore the possibility your wrong, well all i can say is i hope for the dogs sake you eventually do.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for feedback on DA kmdogs and yes I should have said watch dog rather than guard dog, I did not realize the miss understanding it would have caused.

My friends have spoken from 1st hand accounts were people have broken in their house when they were sleeping, and the dogs protected them and I have personally heard the dogs barking at people that walk past sometimes and seen how they behave so to me they seem to be a good watch dog "From the ones I have seen personally"

I do care to learn otherwise I would not be here and would not be putting so much effort into her.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts