Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well another thread has got me thinking. I love ambully's, especially ones that work. but it seems a lot of people are getting to into how there dog looks, so there breeding out the purpose of that dog. how much is too over done in your opinion? how unhealthy is it when they get to be 3 years old and can barely walk? is it humane to breed an animal that can barely lift his head, or can barely walk? what is the purpose of this?
if you have something to add to this feel free. im just wondering how everyone else feels about overdone bully's that are "extreme". this isnt meant to bash the ambull'y because i think they are great dogs, when bred correctly. so please try to keep it civil and bring facts and your opinions to the table. no bashing.

·
Banned
714 Posts
too overdone is when the dog has jelly rolls on his body.....lol.....

too overdone is when ur dog has trouble breathing, and makes loud noises when he breathes, and when he goes for walks gets tired quickly and starts panting, when theyre not intrested in a game of fetch or tug of war, when they dont want to get up and just sit around all day breathing like they have respiratory problems and theyre still young

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Alot of the issue with being over done is the fact that those dogs bone structures are not meant to be that way. Alot of those dogs bones and joints can't handle the weight put on them. Alot of joint issues also come from the bowl legs and improper structures.

Alot of time tho you see Ambullies that are heavy that really don't need to be. Really its just an over weight dog. Many American Bullies if worked out would look and feel much better.

I am heavy set and the back pain that I get and muscle and joint pain is very bad. I can't imagine what some of those dogs go thru.

You also have issues with the heart when you breed in the overly wide chest.

But its a dog by dog case. I don't see a specific standard of what is to over done due to the fact that each dog is different and what its been crossed with is different.

For example some that are clearly Neo crosses do better with a large body and weight since they have that mastiff structure. Where as ones that don't seem to have the mastiff crossing just are way overweight, there bodies aren't bred to handle that.

Reactions: Nizmo and los44

·
Registered
378 Posts
its not healthy at all for any breed to just be created without a purpose, purpose/function gives direction imo, not my rules they are mother natures rules.

i like the american bully when bred correctly, but they are not usually bred correctly. these so called breeders dont care that these dogs only last 3-5 years because by that time they have taken out about 5 or more litters out of a bitch and god only knows how many out of a stud. how many times have you seen "up for stud to selected females" or "FOUNDATION BREEDING" like WTF!!!! as much as i LOVE the bully i find myself disgusted at times.

i feel the need to add that there are some great people involved with this breed but the truth is that the ret-tards out number them. SUPPLY and DEMAND!!! the bully is treated as if its a commodity to be traded and sold solely for personal gain.

·
Banned
714 Posts
yeah i see the way some of these bully breeders are and thats why i dont post on bully forums even though i own a bully i dont feel like i belong there.....

the other fact that i hate about some of these breeders is that most of their dogs are inbred and this causes health issues......its like having babies with ur mother.....eeeew disgusting.....dang why did i say that

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i see the way some of these bully breeders are and thats why i dont post on bully forums even though i own a bully i dont feel like i belong there.....

the other fact that i hate about some of these breeders is that most of their dogs are inbred and this causes health issues......its like having babies with ur mother.....eeeew disgusting.....dang why did i say that
inbreeding isnt bad if you do it correctly. some of the best dogs created were from inbreeding.

·
Banned
714 Posts
yeah im pretty sure my dog came from some inbred dam and sire down the line.....im just not that into it

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I feel the Ambully will go the way of the E bulldog. No working ability, can't run, will over heat on a short walk and have a heat stroke. And they will have to have c sections to birth the large heads, if they keep breeding for head size. And artificial insemination.

·
Banned
714 Posts
i love the ambully but i just dont like the way most of the breeders breed i feel as if theyre mutated like the X Men, mutant dogs....i love them though when they are bred correctly

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
its not healthy at all for any breed to just be created without a purpose, purpose/function gives direction imo, not my rules they are mother natures rules.
Very interesting and valid point. Probably deserves it's own thread. I'd love to read opinions on this one.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
The inbreeding and close line breeding causes issues in American bullies because people are breeding to have that dogs name over and over in the ped. They are just breeding for name and it has nothing to do with the over all dog.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I love the AmBully and I have never personally seen these dogs that people say have heads so big they can't hold them up and bodies so fat they can barely walk or breathe. I know that it has probably been done and I have seen pictures of dogs that I thought were way to overdone. With that being said I think that alot of people put unnecessary weight on bullies to make them look bigger, that I have seen myself. I cannot understand why people would want these big overweight dogs, it just makes no sense. Also, just because the overdone bullies seem to have no function doesn't mean that the well done bullies don't. I think the reason dogs are losing their functions in life these days is because it is less needed these days than back when the breed was created (not referring to the bullies there) I see less and less people going hunting with their hunting type dogs and less herding dogs actually being used as herding dogs and more and more breeds of dogs are being bred for what people want them for ie, show are companionship. I think that is most of where the problem of not breeding for a purpose comes from, that it's just not needed as much as it once was. Which also contributes to health problems that people have been seeing more in pure bred dogs. Sorry didn't mean to go off in a different direction here but it ties into the whole situation.

·
GoPitBull/facebook Admin
647 Posts
I love the AmBully and I have never personally seen these dogs that people say have heads so big they can't hold them up and bodies so fat they can barely walk or breathe. I know that it has probably been done and I have seen pictures of dogs that I thought were way to overdone. With that being said I think that alot of people put unnecessary weight on bullies to make them look bigger, that I have seen myself. I cannot understand why people would want these big overweight dogs, it just makes no sense. Also, just because the overdone bullies seem to have no function doesn't mean that the well done bullies don't. I think the reason dogs are losing their functions in life these days is because it is less needed these days than back when the breed was created (not referring to the bullies there) I see less and less people going hunting with their hunting type dogs and less herding dogs actually being used as herding dogs and more and more breeds of dogs are being bred for what people want them for ie, show are companionship. I think that is most of where the problem of not breeding for a purpose comes from, that it's just not needed as much as it once was. Which also contributes to health problems that people have been seeing more in pure bred dogs. Sorry didn't mean to go off in a different direction here but it ties into the whole situation.
im completley ignorant on the subject but that makes sense

·
Registered
771 Posts
What angers me is they have no consideration for what these HUGE pups do to a female. I believe at this pace soon these dogs will have to be delivered C section because of their "awesome" size. Yea xxl. If it aint got a 26" head it aint a pit. sry couldnt help myself on that last part.

take a nice looking 60lb female breed her to these so called pitbulls of 120lbs and some even higher, and take all these bulky jeans in aswell and boy, i would hate to be the dog that has to deliever these pups.

Reactions: Nizmo

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Alot of the issue with being over done is the fact that those dogs bone structures are not meant to be that way. Alot of those dogs bones and joints can't handle the weight put on them. Alot of joint issues also come from the bowl legs and improper structures.

Alot of time tho you see Ambullies that are heavy that really don't need to be. Really its just an over weight dog. Many American Bullies if worked out would look and feel much better.

I am heavy set and the back pain that I get and muscle and joint pain is very bad. I can't imagine what some of those dogs go thru.

You also have issues with the heart when you breed in the overly wide chest.

But its a dog by dog case. I don't see a specific standard of what is to over done due to the fact that each dog is different and what its been crossed with is different.

For example some that are clearly Neo crosses do better with a large body and weight since they have that mastiff structure. Where as ones that don't seem to have the mastiff crossing just are way overweight, there bodies aren't bred to handle that.
I agree completely that some bullies are just not worked enough, and they become overweight and usually stay that way. I think some of it has to do with the fact that SOME bullies, not all, will have a lot less drive and so it's harder to work a larger, less active dog in the first place.

I also agree about the mastiff crosses. I think those bullies seem healthier, because the frame matches the head, the chest is proportionate to the shoulders and so on. I think the problem is the ultra low bullies, seems like they are heavily crossed with EBs.

i like the american bully when bred correctly, but they are not usually bred correctly. these so called breeders dont care that these dogs only last 3-5 years because by that time they have taken out about 5 or more litters out of a bitch and god only knows how many out of a stud. how many times have you seen "up for stud to selected females" or "FOUNDATION BREEDING" like WTF!!!! as much as i LOVE the bully i find myself disgusted at times.

i feel the need to add that there are some great people involved with this breed but the truth is that the ret-tards out number them. SUPPLY and DEMAND!!! the bully is treated as if its a commodity to be traded and sold solely for personal gain.
Supply and demand. I have a picture of Chino on my music myspace, and lately Ive been getting messages from random people asking me how much I charge for pups, and how big their heads will be, so on and so on. I dont even reply half the time, or I will say I am not a breeder, I don't condone it, and I look down on breeding for size.

I think a lot of people mean well when they want to breed a bully, but just like any other breed, bybs are the ones killing it...

line breeding, when not done heavily can bring out some aesthetic features like certain coat markings, but i dont think it contributes to the dog itself.

inbreeding isnt bad if you do it correctly. some of the best dogs created were from inbreeding.
I agree, but people line breed unhealthy dogs and it just multiplies the potential for something serious to arise....

I feel the Ambully will go the way of the E bulldog. No working ability, can't run, will over heat on a short walk and have a heat stroke. And they will have to have c sections to birth the large heads, if they keep breeding for head size. And artificial insemination.
that's how I feel it will go too. Most people who think of a bully aren't thinking of the taller, well built mastiff cross, and most idiots who think the xxl bullies are pits, are buying and breeding the shortest, widest dogs they can find... If it werent for forums like this to educate people I wonder how much worse off these dogs would be......

The inbreeding and close line breeding causes issues in American bullies because people are breeding to have that dogs name over and over in the ped. They are just breeding for name and it has nothing to do with the over all dog.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its like a lot of people are trying to re-do an olde english bulldog again. why not just get an olde english bulldog a lot of them are starting to look the same. im wandering how they will look in 10 years

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
its like a lot of people are trying to re-do an olde english bulldog again. why not just get an olde english bulldog a lot of them are starting to look the same. im wandering how they will look in 10 years
ohhhh man i dont even want to think about that one.....

·
Registered
378 Posts
linebreeding and inbreeding are 2 different things, i do not like heavy inbreeding though i have seen some nice results but like i said for me personally i really do not like inbreeding. linebreeding on the other hand when done right i think puts out some great dogs while still keeping a diverse gene pool.

many of the bully breeder, not all, but many inbreed simply to stack a ped and i honestly think for the most part that is the only reason(it goes back to money). i believe that if you breed forward you can achieve the same results with out isolating a certain gene pool and with out increasing the chances of serious issues that are associated with heavy inbreeding, especially when done by unqualified individuals.

i support the bully breed, but the truth is the truth!

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Sounds like this topic is pretty well covered. I like a good linebred dog, but people are abusing the term and turning it into repetative INBREEDING. When this breed was created the size of the dog was just one aspect that was "improved", now a days everyone is compromising one trait for another that they really like no matter if the match of dogs are complimenatry as a whole. Oh gosh here i go ranting... IMO the dogs need to compliment each others pedigree, temperament as well as structure. These people are going to extremes for mass and compromising even the temperament that follows with this lovable breed... either that or they breed for awesome rears to dogs that have turned in fronts... instead of finding a medium reared dog with straight fronts. It's difficult to find the right kinda people in the Bully world, but they are out there.

I love me a bully, but I want my dogs to be able to have fun and run across my whole acre... not a dog who'll run half of it and say "screw it".

Reactions: Nizmo
1 - 20 of 21 Posts