Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adult children's kids (so my grandchildren) now have a lovely pair of young adult dogs they picked out. I don't get a clear sense of where they got them. They have had the dogs for maybe 6 months now? The could not have more opposite activity levels from what I see on periodic visits.

I want to be helpful and encourage the family to have great times with these dogs. Last week, I heard that there was a discouraging skirmish, between the two dogs, though. I got really worried that one of the dogs would be getting the boot.

I don't want to see that, so, I'm here so that I can learn more and be an informed adviser. My own family has had dogs, cats, birds, etc, but have not really done any sort of serious training, we didn't have combinations of pets that created concerns before. It seems to me as though the two pets in particular is kind of begging for trouble -- so more reason for me to get serious about knowing what to do and not to do!

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Some dogs don't like other dogs and some can have a bad day. The key is figuring out what happened to ensure it won't happen again. Were you there? Can you describe what happened? Take away should be to never leave the dogs alone unsupervised, ever. If it happened when people were there think what might happen when no one is present to intervene. Sometimes dogs just don't like other Dogs too. As dogs age their temperament can change and they are can become less tolerant.

A lot of people with multiple dogs crate and rotate. You don't need crates but you can give each dog their own space with baby gates and areas in the house designated for each dog. They learn the routines and are very happy being an "only dog" in a multi dog house.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I would say one very important thing about those two breeds...they need plenty of daily exercise! There is a big difference between dogs that are not getting enough exercise compared to a dog that gets physically and mentally tired out every day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts