Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! I haven't posted here in awhile things have been a bit crazy.

Anyway. I've officially decided I want to get both of my dogs into weight pulling, but I'm not too sure how to begin.
Should I condition my dog first? Or does the conditioning come with the WP training.
Raj is one year and 9 months old so he can do a bit more training then Willow, who is only a year. My plan is to begin Willow with a WP harness and just have her drag around some cans or something obnoxious and loud.

But how would you advise I start Raj?

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
id start with this thread it probably has all the info you are looking for.
http://www.gopitbull.com/weight-pulling/9512-wp-subforum.html
I would get a well made harness for your boy and start him gradual and increase weight as he can take it, this will put him in shape on its own but make sure not to over do it and keep it fun or they burn out. Spring pole works great to help get him conditioned as well , if your boy likes it.
I think your on the right path with your younger one i would get her used to the harness now and having things being pulled behind her , alot of times they freak out at it at 1st. And same with her gradually increase weight as you go, obviously slower with her but you can do milk jugs with water or small tires , cans whatever.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm going to bookmark the sticky
I'm so excited to be working with my dogs I think this will be great for them =)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hey everyone! I haven't posted here in awhile things have been a bit crazy.

Anyway. I've officially decided I want to get both of my dogs into weight pulling, but I'm not too sure how to begin.
Should I condition my dog first? Or does the conditioning come with the WP training.
Raj is one year and 9 months old so he can do a bit more training then Willow, who is only a year. My plan is to begin Willow with a WP harness and just have her drag around some cans or something obnoxious and loud.

But how would you advise I start Raj?

Thanks for any help!
start them both like that ... i wouldnt put either of them thru too much untill about 2 after health testing to make sure they can take the strain. You can use some light drag weight. I just used a small tire with a rope tied to it and a quick link . take it slow until you know they are healthy enough to handle strain . Main think .. dont let them get into the work too hard .. if they have to contort thier backs or bodies to get the weight to move , its too heavy at this point ... shock is bad ... dont let them yank stuff... warm em up goodall the time !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts