Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw tis on difernt site i think its a good one
So I was thinking if we can put together a guide on how to chose a pup
> >
As far as how to choose the best pup out of a litter >>
> >
What to look for on conformation ,drive ext. I know its hard cuz they are pups but if we can make a Gide to help with better chances of picking and getting a good pup >>

i like the temperament intelligent test from dogs of velvet and steal what other methods do any of you use to deterring if you are investing in a good dog

The book basically says to put the pups in deferent stress test like putting them on cold surfaces see which pup wines more and for how long .recorded every thing also put pup in a room and stand in a corner see how long it will take him to go to you .finding the pups pecking order in the litter it says to get two pups but them alone in a pen with a juicy beef bone and see the pecking order of pups in the litter from the most dominate to the weakest one .also put a pup on a low box ,low enough that he can jump off if he will .record each pups response .dose he cringe and whimper or dose he immediately jump off dose the pup think about it for a bit and then leaps or dose he cry . I agree with the book I like the pup that will think about it before jumping it shows he is both smart and courageous .as apost to the pup that just jumps off to be brave and stupid .of cores these test don’t determent much just little inside on the pup personality he has more little test like the ones I mention in the book .but I feel if people can put a guide as to getting a over all good dog with great conformation good drive it will help in picking ones investment we invest a lot of love money time in our dogs so I would tink it will be great if one can up his chances in getting a good pup .

i think this would be very interesting

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
sounds cool.. never thought of it much testing comes in their environment; but that sounds like it would be a great idea for breeders not so much those who purchase.. temperment testing would help as long as people cull the undeisred and unhealthy traits both physically and mentally.. Bet it would be a good read for alot of people wanting to breed, its best to observe someone do it right first of course however we all learn by trial and error. :goodpost:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds cool.. never thought of it much testing comes in their environment; but that sounds like it would be a great idea for breeders not so much those who purchase.. temperment testing would help as long as people cull the undeisred and unhealthy traits both physically and mentally.. Bet it would be a good read for alot of people wanting to breed, its best to observe someone do it right first of course however we all learn by trial and error. :goodpost:
right but if ppl can get together and put their experience i think it could be of great help on picking the right pup and making the right investment

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
There are all ready established tests out there for those who didn't know. I posted about picking pups before here's the link for those who haven't seen it... This should help.
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/9956-evaluating-picking-pup.html
Yep you know I've used your tips as a guideline to give to a newbie and greenhorn bulldog, Im sorry, APBT owners for a year now ;) Wish everyone had your sense in accountability with training these dogs. :clap:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts