Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My three pits usually get along. But there have been four occasions where an all out brawl broke up with three of them. Usually it starts with the two boys snapping at each other and then the mother jumping in and then two gang up on one.

It’s completely terrifying and the last time it happened I was pinned under them and both I and my husband were bit trying to get them apart. Once the brawl begins, It is almost impossible to stop. One time it took 4 grown men to pull them apart.

Always the bigger brother (75 lbs) and the mother (60 lbs) gang up on Amos (40 lbs), and I am convinced they would have killed him had the fights not been broken up.

We raised the brothers from young pups and took in the mother later when we found her in an neglected situation. The boys are 3 years old and mom is 4.

I don’t want to have to give up either of the boys, but I fear that one of these times, someone is going to be severely hurt or killed and that it may even be one of us. Is there some way to train them out of this aggression?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Crate and rotate would be your best bet likely. Can you tell what triggers the fighting? In addition to the crate rotate I would not leave any high value items around. Already I have to keep toys and feeding seperate between my pup and my adult male. Also I highly suggest getting a few break sticks or tent stakes to keep around the house so you can break things up safely should something happen again.

·
Registered
33 Posts
When fighting i would pick up one hind leg and pull firmly.... Not too hard as to injur the dogs... Just hard enough to make them let go.... it works Everytime for me so far.... Also... I give them loads of attention and all are treated the same.... With these dogs I've come to realized that it sure is a bad idea to favour the one over the other.... They get jealous...

Sent from my Note 10 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Crate and rotate would be your best bet likely. Can you tell what triggers the fighting? In addition to the crate rotate I would not leave any high value items around. Already I have to keep toys and feeding seperate between my pup and my adult male. Also I highly suggest getting a few break sticks or tent stakes to keep around the house so you can break things up safely should something happen again.
Thank you for your advice. I have ordered a couple of break sticks, an air horn and a can of citronella spray.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This time I was tending to Amos (the smaller one) whose paw that had been injured. Akbar was curious, Amos snapped and all hell broke loose. Two other times it was a pull toy, we don’t have those anymore.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When fighting i would pick up one hind leg and pull firmly.... Not too hard as to injur the dogs... Just hard enough to make them let go.... it works Everytime for me so far.... Also... I give them loads of attention and all are treated the same.... With these dogs I've come to realized that it sure is a bad idea to favour the one over the other.... They get jealous...

Thanks for the advice. I ended up grabbing both legs, when he didn’t let go, I grabbed him under the belly and picked him up. He let go then. My husband and I do try to give them all a lot of attention. They are super jealous, but mostly not in an aggressive way, although our big boy, Akbar, has been very possessive later, even snapping at Amos. When I was tending to Amos’ hurt paw, when Akbar got curious. I was on the floor with Amos when the fight broke out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I ended up grabbing both legs, when he didn’t let go, I grabbed him under the belly and picked him up. He let go then. My husband and I do try to give them all a lot of attention. They are super jealous, but mostly not in an aggressive way, although our big boy, Akbar, has been very possessive later, even snapping at Amos. When I was tending to Amos’ hurt paw, when Akbar got curious. I was on the floor with Amos when the fight broke out.
Try to separate them in different areas when tending to one of them on something like a hurt paw.... Amos felt very vulnerable with his hurt paw when you tended to his paw so snapped at Akbar as way of defending himself...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts