Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know i might have waited to long to train my 6month old to walk on a leash. I tried to talk her out 2day and she acted like i was going kidnap her or something . any tips on how i can get my so to walk on a leash without freaking out

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Six months is pretty late but it's never too late. It will all come down to your persistence and consistency. Treats might help her if she is food motivated. If she walks well for a few feet, treat her. It's all about baby steps at the early stages. Don't expect her to just get out in the open and walk for miles on her first try.

Try her out with the leash in the back yard, around the house just for a few minutes at a time just to get her used to it. I've also seen a lot of people suggest leaving the leash attached to her collar for a while around the house without you holding onto it. I've never had to try that but I don't see why it wouldn't help.

Reactions: dixieland

·
Registered
901 Posts
I use a harness. Your pup might be too small for one. I attached the harness and left on until he got used to the feeling of it and then attached the leash. I carried a biscuit in the hand of the leash and after a short period treated him to the biscuit. Other's that have worked with pups may have a better idea. Good luck and be patient.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Six months is pretty late but it's never too late. It will all come down to your persistence and consistency. Treats might help her if she is food motivated. If she walks well for a few feet, treat her. It's all about baby steps at the early stages. Don't expect her to just get out in the open and walk for miles on her first try.

Try her out with the leash in the back yard, around the house just for a few minutes at a time just to get her used to it. I've also seen a lot of people suggest leaving the leash attached to her collar for a while around the house without you holding onto it. I've never had to try that but I don't see why it wouldn't help.
That's the same thing that I did, and my staffy was about 9 months when I got him. He hated it at first, but I let him drag it around the house for some time so he would get used to it. It wasn't the same leash however. I had two, and I cut the loop off the one for him to drag so it wouldn't get hung up. I never had to resort to rewarding him when he was good on the leash. He just kinda got used to it. He was an inside dog, and he figured out rather quickly that the only way his butt was going outside was with that contraption around his neck!
Now getting him to walk on a leash is completely different from getting him to behave on one. It took about a month to curb his pulling tendencies. That's always a chore....:hammer:

·
Registered
6,167 Posts

:goodpost:Sounds good to me!

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
we start out with harnnesses too. you can also try to put her out on a run for a few hours or so during the day. shell freak out at first but thatll get her used to something pulling back on her

·
Registered
757 Posts
we start out with harnnesses too. you can also try to put her out on a run for a few hours or so during the day. shell freak out at first but thatll get her used to something pulling back on her
The best thing to do is start with a collar. You want to be able to control their head when teaching to walk on a leash and heal.

Defiently should have had him on a leash starting around 5-6 weeks old but like stated before, its never to late. The main thing is for YOU to stay calm and SHOW him exactly what you want him to do. What I always do is let them pitch their fit and I just wait calmly until they finish and settle down. Then begin training. If he is food driven, treats will work wonders. If you take 2 steps and he starts acting up again, just stop till he calms down and try again. Its all about paitence and makng sure you have more than your dog. When he does what you want, give him a treat. Never reward or praise bad behavior. Start small(baby steps) and work your way to the final goal. A beginners obedience course would be great for you and your dog. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you have.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
use a choke collar (FOR THIS PURPOSE ONLY) none spiked slip collar. Hang a horse lead (the only leash I use for APBTs since I started over a decade ago) You can put knots where they are handy for you for one and they don't break or give for two. The leads are fairly heavy and so if you clip that on the slip collar so the weight of the leash pulls the slip snuggly loose (if that makes sense) and let him/her follow you around the house, and inclosed back yard if you have one; if not practice the leash drag.. after he/shes comfortable and not worried about it take it off. Get ready to go and pump the dog up for goin outside and clip the lead on the dog. Do NOT tug on a dog with a slip/choke collar, simply stand firm and hold your dog to your hip with your hand almost on the choke/slip collar itself, when needed for aggression or whathavya'. OR Take a regular leash and revers it CM/DogWhisperer style as its actually the best way to walk your dogs, they are more repsonsive and the reversed leash with a slip collar made through the handle.. The problem is that a paniced dog or aggressive dog with a modest/novice owner is going to yank that leash out of your hand with the clip being the end the handler is holding. Thus why I first suggested the horse lead and slip collar. But draggin the leash is how puppies get used to it, older pups and adults are no different, just need a bigger leash.. Hope this helps; best of luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts