Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Mary Jane nears age 11, I've had a lot of thoughts about how I am going to deal when the time comes and I have to say good-bye.

I've had a few dogs in my life, but I've never felt closer to one. We've been through a lot together. She's sat beside me while I've mourned the loss of friends and family. She's walked with me a little longer when I'm mad and need to release some energy. She's adjusted from being the baby of the house to having three human children around all the time. And, she showed me what this breed is capable of and the importance of treating the accordingly.

She's my companion. She's my walking buddy. She is so much a part of my daily routine and decision making process, I don't know how I'll adjust.

Mary Jane is an old dog, but acts young. Her age really hasn't slowed her down at all yet. But, sometimes, friends or family will visit that haven't seen her in a while, and they always comment, "Wow Mary Jane is getting old," or, "Mary Jane is really starting to show her age, huh?" I wonder if I miss signs because I am around her all the time.

Someone commented the other day that the hair on her face was getting white, and I had to look at an old picture of her. I hadn't even really noticed the change, but the hair around her face has changed color.

I just don't ever want to say good-bye.

·
Registered
776 Posts
one of the best things about this breed is they live to be pretty darn old !
but when the time gets close , i always try to get another pup so that my old dog has time with the pup and they learn from them .. as weird as it seems. Nothing will instantly heal a broken heart
but sharing it with another always seems to make it heal much faster .

·
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We already have Sadies, and I don't want to get another puppy when the time gets close because I think she would do better in a single dog home. She has high DA and we have to keep these two separated as it is.

Hopefully, this is years in the future, but sometimes, it weighs on my mind, you know?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Well I would say she has a while left. Our german shorthair was going grey about 5 years before her death...she lived to be 15 years and 10months... when she died I cried for 5 days & gained 10lbs just laying in bed eating and STILL cry sometimes when I think about her... no other dog or puppy can replace her. Its just like humans... one of a kind and irreplaceable - no two are the same. You just have to make sure you give them the best life possible and show them how much you love and care for them until the time comes. Id say have her yearly checkups be a little more in depth checking out internal organs in case a problem arises it can quickly be dealt with because in old age a minor problem can escalate quickly...

·
Registered
546 Posts
Also, she seems a little heavy too me and that can't be good for her health or aging. With our german shorthair she used to go with me on runs until damn near the day she died and loved it... kept her in shape and the vet said it actually helped protect her joints not wear them...

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Nothing prepares you for the loss...nothing. It changes you, makes you look at the world differently while you lose your security. IMO as each member passes away and takes a part of your heart with them, you also slowly pass away as well. When enough close ones pass, the holes in your heart are too many and eventually it becomes your time to go. I do wish your pup many healthy years to come.

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Oh Betty, this made me cry as I know exactly how you feel, jeez it never gets any easier at all does it. Just know that Mary Jane loves you now and forever and will always be a part of your life. Hugs to you my friend. I will agree with getting a pup afterwards, it does tend to help heal the wound that she will leave but you have many more years with her ;)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
Only time heals to pain of loss. I still mourn Stack and it has been awhile since he was PTS.

Sadly dogs just don't live as long as us so losing them is a part of owning and enjoying them. Enjoy the time you guys have left until its her day to go.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I would like to say that time heals all wounds but I have always been an honest person and it just doesnt it might get easier but the pain never goes away. Yes each one takes a piece of your heart with them. The best you can do it love her while she is here and then when the time is right and you will know in your heart when that is say goodbye and let her go with the dignity that she deserves.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
There always are those special dogs who leave a mark in our lives. Kaos was my world for 12 years, the start of my kennel, my love, my buddy, everything! when I knew he was getting sick from cancer I would sit and think what it would be like without him. I could not imagine what it was going to be like and I did not know how I would cope with it. When he passed away I went numb and really did not mourn the way I should have. Then a few months later I fell to pieces and had a really hard time with it. I have a hard time looking at his pictures or thinking of him and it has been about 2 years. I love him at 12 years old and it was heart breaking I will always love and miss him. I do miss my other dogs I have lost but he was special to me. I have a house full of older dogs and it is hard on the heart to think of them passing. I have an 11 year old, a 13 year old, a 9 year old, and four 8 year olds. That is a house of old dogs plus my younger working dogs. Each dog is loved in their own way but those special ones make it really hard.

So no real way to deal with it till it happens but it helps to make those last years special. I know when Kaos got in trouble in his last few months I just smiled and enjoyed him. I went out of my way to make special time for him and do special things to make his last few month fun for us both. There I go in tears now....

·
4,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone. I'm sure she's got a few years left. She's not really acting old, but I know those few years will be short. And I worry about how the kids will take it.

And ya, she's a fat one. lol

·
Registered
411 Posts
When my husband and I first looked at pictures taken of Rufus during the last year or so of his life we were shocked to see how old he looked. We lived with him and loved him every day and somehow just couldn't see him as he really had become.

I don't know if there's anything you really can do to prepare. It's gonna hurt. Bad. I try to think of it as the "price of admission" for the love you received. We all know going in that dogs just don't live long enough. Rufus lived to fourteen and it wasn't enough. Twenty wouldn't have been enough. We were lucky that he kept his personality and his appetite clear to the end.

He had arthritis pretty bad and the medicine he was on helped him to get an extra year but then the cancer finally got him. When we knew his time was drawing near we were able to make advance arrangements for a vet to come here to the house to put him down when the time came. I think that helped a lot. He was a big dog and I was scared that I would wait too long and then cause him pain trying to carry him to the car to get to our regular vet - or that I'd cheat him out of his last days or weeks by putting him down too early just cause he could still walk down the steps to the driveway. Removing that anxiety from the equation and having all the arrangements made in advance let us focus on enjoying our remaining time with him.

It sound like you still have a good deal of time left and you know how special it is. If I could give any advice it would be to make arrangements well in advance of the actual end. Who, how, where, what to do with the remains. We'll always miss Rufus but we take some solace in knowing that we gave him a great send off and didn't cheat him out of a moment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts