Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Idalis Lewis for putting this post together...
1. I didn't write this and I for got what site I copied it from ... I just replaced and added pictures of bullies so you get the point.

Teach your dog to "stack" or stand squarely and still. Some breeds are free stacked, with the handler standing in front of them while the dog watches the handler and stands still and alert. Other breeds are "hand stacked" with each leg manually placed in position while the handler stands or kneels close to them. Figure out which one you need to do and be consistent in training.

Sometimes with wiggly dogs it's easier to stack them on blocks, boards or bricks that are elevated a few inches off the ground so the dog learns to trust where you set his feet and feels secure with your placement, but if he moves his feet on his own he becomes unbalanced.

Never scold, but be firm. You want the stacking experience to be positive and consistent but not scary for your dog.

Front legs should be straight (or as straight as is allowed for your breed) and should be under the shoulder blades.

Rear legs should be vertical from the hock down

From the side you want the back side of the front legs to be perpendicular to the ground and the back side of the hocks as close to a 90 degree angle as possible.

(for most breeds, most notably different is the German Shepherd Dog, who has a distinctive stack).

Feet should be facing forward, unless contraindicated for your breed.

Below :
First picture is a perfect front stack
Second is over stacked out at the elbows
Third front feet too close together

Rear legs should be vertical from the hock down

From the side you want the back side of the front legs to be perpendicular to the ground and the back side of the hocks as close to a 90 degree angle as possible.
Below:
First Almost perfect stack except that one foot got it's german shepherd on...LOL
Second front legs are too far forward rear slightly far back.
Third dog is leaning into the leash throwing her 90's off otherwise almost perfect stack.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Shoot we be stackin like some G's now.. Str8 up

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Good read thanks for posting it up here Lauren.

Last year at our UKC show the one judge didnt want any of the dog manually stacked he wanted them all free stacking. This threw a few people off.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Great post!! Stacking is so important it can really show your dogs off or if you are not doing it correctly it can really make your dog look like a train wreck! If you're a good handler you can even hide some minor faults and make your dog really shine.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
great post , thanks for posting this will have to practice even more now, I like the stacking on blocks might be a way towork with cali a bit better. :)

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Great post!! Stacking is so important it can really show your dogs off or if you are not doing it correctly it can really make your dog look like a train wreck! If you're a good handler you can even hide some minor faults and make your dog really shine.
What line is the black dog in your sig?

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
That is awesome think I might try the block thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts