Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an almost 2 year male Jack Russell and a 3 Month female pit pup.

We have not had the Jack Russell neutered as we had no reason to yet, however to avoid any sort of DA in the future does anyone have any good pointers on when to neuter each dog or if I should only neuter one and not the other?

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
all pets should be spayed/nuetered. If you have nice pedigrees and show your dogs then not. spay nueter wont change anything thats genetic

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
all pets should be spayed/nuetered. If you have nice pedigrees and show your dogs then not. spay nueter wont change anything thats genetic
:goodpost:
You don't want to run the risk of ending up with American Jack Pit Russell Bull Terriers. <--- That thought exhausted me.... the little balls of energy that they would be!
I would, however put off spaying your Pit Bull until she is closer to or over 6 months old, if possible, because pediatric spays can be dangerous. Putting your dog to sleep under anesthetic is dangerous at any age, but even more so to puppies. I just had mine spayed last week, at 5 1/2 months old. I would have waited longer, but my GSD was humping her all the time. (He's neutered too)

I would, however, go ahead and neuter your Jack Russell, if he is not a show dog. Be a responsible pet owner, and protect your neighborhood dogs. :)

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
Does it matter the order that I do it in or if its at the same time?
Order doesn't matter, but I would go ahead and have the JRT done, since he is older. I would wait for a few more months before getting the pup done. Talk to your vet, get their advice.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
you can do it at the same time! they will be sore and sluggish for a day maybe and you might enjoy that quiet time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for feedback, think I will get our Jack Russel done ASAP and wait about 3-4 months for our female pup :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
yea i agree its best to wait on your girl since shes pretty young.
i would wait till she hits a year if you can keep a close eye on her for that long.
that gives her time to mature and grow for a little.
if you dont want to wait that long then at least wait the 3 or 4 like you said:roll:

EDIT: http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/37661-when-spay.html

check out this thread ^^. it has quite a few answer so you may find good advice on when too neuter

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Yup neuter the male asap and wait on the female till she matures a bit. In your case though I would spay your female before she comes into her first season. If you leave her in the front yard you could have a make jump your fence and get her pregnant.
Getting them fixed will NOT stop any type of DA from starting.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The reason I ask is that sometimes a vet will recommend only neutering one of your dogs to ensure that they are on different levels of dominance.

Was also sort of wondering if I should only get the female done and leave my Jack Russell, however if there is any DA down the line, then get my Jack Russell done?

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
The reason I ask is that sometimes a vet will recommend only neutering one of your dogs to ensure that they are on different levels of dominance.

Was also sort of wondering if I should only get the female done and leave my Jack Russell, however if there is any DA down the line, then get my Jack Russell done?
rob32 and pk are right IMO. Stick with your original plan of neutering the JRT now and spaying your girl a bit later on. The DA thing has very little if anything to do with spay/neuter.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:goodpost:
You don't want to run the risk of ending up with American Jack Pit Russell Bull Terriers. <--- That thought exhausted me.... the little balls of energy that they would be!
:)
Lol agreed, dont think I could keep up but look how cute they look :):)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts

Where do you live? I never heard such a thing in regards to only fixing one dog because of different levels of dominance. I had two males who we're both neutered and got along all there lives together. I would get your male JRT done as everyone is suggesting and then get your female done before she has her first heat cycle.:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have heard of it twice as listed below

An Alsatian and a Jack Russel, both females and about 2 years old. Got into a massive fight one day and Jack Russel had to go to vet to get stitched up. Vet only spayed one of them as he said it was best.

Second time I heard of it was a 6 year old male chow chow and a 18month old male "looks like an Alsatian but about 3 times the size, forgot the breeds name" They ripped each other up 2 or 3 times and again "different vet" told the owner to only do one male and they have been best friends ever since

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Have heard of it twice as listed below

An Alsatian and a Jack Russel, both females and about 2 years old. Got into a massive fight one day and Jack Russel had to go to vet to get stitched up. Vet only spayed one of them as he said it was best.

Second time I heard of it was a 6 year old male chow chow and a 18month old male "looks like an Alsatian but about 3 times the size, forgot the breeds name" They ripped each other up 2 or 3 times and again "different vet" told the owner to only do one male and they have been best friends ever since
Two unfixed males is always a bad mix. 99% of the time they wont get along. I had an intact male ACD a time ago that would go balistic over the scent of another intact male in his proximity. He was pretty good with neutered males and of course good with the girls ;) as long as your dogs are pets it is best to neuter and spay. You own two terriers that can both be DA and territorial so even though they are the opposite of sex you still have to keep your eye on them.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two unfixed males is always a bad mix. 99% of the time they wont get along. I had an intact male ACD a time ago that would go balistic over the scent of another intact male in his proximity. He was pretty good with neutered males and of course good with the girls ;) as long as your dogs are pets it is best to neuter and spay. You own two terriers that can both be DA and territorial so even though they are the opposite of sex you still have to keep your eye on them.
Agree, the two situations i came across are different as they are same sex dogs, were mine are different sex dogs.... I was just wondering :roll: but I still going to get them both done :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts