Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been lookin over many posts in this section, and I keep seein repeat questions. Is my dog a pit? what bloodline is he? and so forth.

Well young people, the only way you will find this out is to search for a breeder. Do not go to shelters. Do not go to unpapered breeders who know nothing but the money they make off you. Stop lookin for a pup then asking what the pup is. Take your time.

And in the old days, the only bloodline that mattered was winning. Bloodlines are only names. Today, instead of winning, look for calm and steady temprmnts. If ma or pa dog aint nice, little cute pup wont grow to be nice. Look for proper standards. Big wide chest and head mean nothing. Look at parents. Do they chest go to elbows? Just read a book on proper standard. Judge from there. And avoid so-called new bloodlines. If they is new, they not real.

And last, if you want a big bad dog that looks strong, find another breed. Because small apbts arent all that impressve until they in action. But they will do more than all those big bad dogs out there. And for apbts, the bigger they is, the less they can really do. And buying from good breeder is only way to help save the breed. More street breeders, more pronlems come. And if you buy from good breeder, you will never regret. You will never settle for less after you have a true apbt as a pet.

So before you buy, remember you want to get what you pay for. Feeling sorry for a pup gives no garentees. But if you want real garentee, buy a real apbt. Because if you dont, you never know what you buy. Too many bad ones out there. Dont add another one. Get what you want and what you pay for. Then you always know what you got.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another thing for you young folks or people new to this breed. don't buy a pup off of a breeder who only been at it for a few years. Let people who know the breed do this. When you new to it, it easy for you to be fooled by mere talk. You don't know what to look for.

Instead, you young folks or those new to breed should go to breeder who has proven the quality of his dogs. look for over 10 years breeding at least. This way, you have better chance at gettn good dog, and honesty of breeding program. And don't be surpise if you meet a breeder who will test you. That is, a good breeder always picks where his pups go, and don't sell to just anyone. It's the peddlers that do that. And a good breeder always will give a garentee against health pronlems, and tempermnt. And the pups will already be ready for registration in your name, and will be no hassle at all. Avoid any and all unregistred pups.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
See I am more inclined to go to a rescue to save a pup than spend tons of money on a dog just for a piece of paper, lol. I still love my pup the same if he was papered or not. Personally, I could care less if he has one. I think a lot of people ask because they are mislead and are curious as to what their pup might be. At least that's what it seems when I read people asking for help deciding what their dog is...

·
Registered
776 Posts
while its nice to save a life from a shelter , you really have no clue , in many cases , what the breeding of the dog is like .. will it have health problems , do bad temperments run in them? Personally , i wouldnt get a dog from the shelter due to these facts . Id much rather get a quality dog from someone that know wth they are doin.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
while its nice to save a life from a shelter , you really have no clue , in many cases , what the breeding of the dog is like .. will it have health problems , do bad temperments run in them? Personally , i wouldnt get a dog from the shelter due to these facts . Id much rather get a quality dog from someone that know wth they are doin.
very true but I feel the good outweighs the bad. I don't do WP, agility or show my dogs, so of course if you do I can see the need. Just meaning in regards to pets. Temperament is typically shown by 2-3 years so if you rescue a dog you can usually know what your getting by that age even if you don't know the history.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I vote sticky for this thread. It should be required reading for all new members. Not that I'm against rescuing because there is a lot to be said for taking a dog out of a bad situation. It's just that so many people want their to have their cake and eat it too by rescuing a dog or getting it from a BYB with no papers and then trying to trace its lineage based on colour or size. It's just not going to happen. Just be happy with the dog you have. Or you could do as Hyde suggests and go to a real breeder if you want a papered dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I vote sticky for this thread. It should be required reading for all new members. Not that I'm against rescuing because there is a lot to be said for taking a dog out of a bad situation. It's just that so many people want their to have their cake and eat it too by rescuing a dog or getting it from a BYB with no papers and then trying to trace its lineage based on colour or size. It's just not going to happen. Just be happy with the dog you have. Or you could do as Hyde suggests and go to a real breeder if you want a papered dog.
completely agree with that! I don't understand why so many people ask after the fact if they didn't take the time to find a reputable breeder or even a reputable rescue that has papered dogs in there. If you didn't take the time beforehand (and now you want to wonder) just love your pet and who cares what line it is.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
One problem i have with your post is you are discussing a "real APBT" with the "calm and steady" temperament. Perhaps it was your choice of phrasing however "real" APBT's are anything but calm... While i agree all dogs, including APBT's need a sound temperament that fits the breed "standard"...

My head is killing me right now so this will be short for now but i believe your post is better suited for those interested in "Pet Bulls" not an APBT...even though much of what you said can be applied throughout.

As for the "get what you pay for" thinking, might be generally true however its all in who you know.. I'll leave it at that.

Having papers is a modern way of knowing what you have, though papers are not the only way to know your bloodline and what you own. Again its all in who you know, too many people get caught up in the papers vs no papers debate.. Have to remember that "old timers" used to hand write what they had in their yard for records, this practice is not as common however if we are talking about "real" bulldogs...its still a fairly common way. Unless your showing or breeding papers generally don't do too much, i know i don't need a piece of paper telling me what i already know..Maybe some do.

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I might have gotten shelter dogs in the past or my dog from a byb. But from now on my dogs will only come from reputable breeders. I have seen health and temperament issues in the majority of my dogs over the years who came from shelters or byb's. And now that I have a lil one running around I want to know that the dog has a solid temperament to deal with kids. So I'd never get an adult shelter dog, or a puppy at that.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
One problem i have with your post is you are discussing a "real APBT" with the "calm and steady" temperament. Perhaps it was your choice of phrasing however "real" APBT's are anything but calm... While i agree all dogs, including APBT's need a sound temperament that fits the breed "standard"...

My head is killing me right now so this will be short for now but i believe your post is better suited for those interested in "Pet Bulls" not an APBT...even though much of what you said can be applied throughout.

As for the "get what you pay for" thinking, might be generally true however its all in who you know.. I'll leave it at that.

Having papers is a modern way of knowing what you have, though papers are not the only way to know your bloodline and what you own. Again its all in who you know, too many people get caught up in the papers vs no papers debate.. Have to remember that "old timers" used to hand write what they had in their yard for records, this practice is not as common however if we are talking about "real" bulldogs...its still a fairly common way. Unless your showing or breeding papers generally don't do too much, i know i don't need a piece of paper telling me what i already know..Maybe some do.
This isn't really a papers vs no papers debate though, KM. I think most are aware of the benefits (perceived or otherwise) of having them. This thread wasn't aimed at experienced people like you or Stan who can trace their dogs back through the generations without papers.

This was aimed more at new members who ask the same questions in the bloodline or picture threads week in week out. Some you never see again after they get the old "you'll never know without a ped" story. Just look at the number of people you see with 1 or 2 posts that you never see after that. Maybe by reading this thread they may see that there is no point asking the question.

Reactions: angelbaby

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
This isn't really a papers vs no papers debate though, KM. I think most are aware of the benefits (perceived or otherwise) of having them. This thread wasn't aimed at experienced people like you or Stan who can trace their dogs back through the generations without papers.

This was aimed more at new members who ask the same questions in the bloodline or picture threads week in week out. Some you never see again after they get the old "you'll never know without a ped" story. Just look at the number of people you see with 1 or 2 posts that you never see after that. Maybe by reading this thread they may see that there is no point asking the question.
This is why I love you, Scott

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Both my dogs were rescued. My Marley, R.I.P., was rejected by his mom and then she later passed away. I took him in at 4 weeks old. Absolutely the best dog I've ever had!!!
Dosia was bought from a breeder and then abused horribly, he came to me at about 9 weeks old. It took me about 8 months to track down the breeders and find out where he came from and what lines he was from and all that good stuff. They were so awesome! I can't thank them enough for all they did for us. At the time we were looking at 2 kennels and were about to buy a quality dog, as soon as we met Dosia and heard his story, there was no way we couldn't take him. I don't regret any choices I made cause they both turned out to be way more than I could ever ask for :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
great post and I hope some of the new people do read this before posting, Im tired of seeing threads " what kinda pit bull do I have" " how can I tell what the bloodline is" "does my dog look pure pitbull" lol it gets a lil old. I think the point of the thread wasnt to debate shelter dogs vs breeder dogs or paper vs non papered it was pretty much to let the new people know if you dont have the papers dont come on asking what lines you have we really cant tell. If someone tells you the pups are this line and from these parents ask for proof ask to see papers and recieve papers if they cant give you those there is no guarantee and you will never know what you have.
Ithink if a breeder cant hand you papers with your pup why even bother buying from that breeder? Id rather go to a shelter and save a dog then to get a random mystery breeding you would know just as much about lol.
Great post.

Reactions: aus_staffy

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Yea totally. I vote sticky too, those posts get so freakin annoying!

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Sorry KMdogs, but you musta misread me. I SAID REAL. My intent there is regarding humans. If a bulldog isn't calm with people, it ain't no real bulldog. That that. Yes they ARE calm. Meaning, they do not get nervous or fearful. They do not possess the stress and anxiety many find in rescue dogs. And that another point. While it may be good to rescue a pup or dog, the more one buys from a real breeder, the less likely a dog will end up in shelter.

The more people buy from real breeders and stop going to pocket breeders, the less dogs there are that need to be rescued. But the point of my post was this: If you want to know the bloodline, and the purity (is it a "pit"), buy from a real breeder, and not some pretender.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I still choose to rescue...
:woof: So many good dogs would die or waste away in a shelter if we didn't. I don't think they have any less value, and should be able to get that second chance.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
^^ what she said...

But I think KM was just clarifying what the temperament of a true APBT is.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
:woof: So many good dogs would die or waste away in a shelter if we didn't. I don't think they have any less value, and should be able to get that second chance.
Mam, I understand your point. Good heart. But mam, I only addressed this thread for the purpose of letting new apbt owners know the only place to get a real one is from a real breeder. But you saw the negative side (depends on where u see it from). I need not remind folks what the only purpose of these dogs was. Very few if any unkowns will turn out like 35. But the more rescue ready folks there are, the more bad breedings will occur. That a fact.

And if new owners don't get they pup from older breeders, they will always ask them dumb questions: Is this a pit? What bloodline is he? I gave em the only garentee to get real pups.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts