Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my dog for months now and she's perfect in every way. But she's really hyper and high strung.
I take her for 2 mile walk/jogs pretty much every day without fail. She gets tired at the end of them and lays around for about an hour but then right away she's running around like crazy and playing with her toys.(and by playing I mean tossing them into the air and crashing into furniture chasing after them)

She's an only "child" (besides my 14 year old chihuahua) so I feel like that might have a lot to do with it. But I live in an apartment with a 2 pet limit(and we secretly have a cat). So another dog isn't an option.

Would walking or running her longer be unhealthy though? I live in Florida so it's really hot, even this time of year. I don't want her getting a heatstroke or me push her too hard.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
How old is she? If she is close to a year old or older longer walks or JOGS would be great for her! :) she is probably more hot than actually tired when shegets back from the 2 mile walks. Try to do the walks in the late evening or early morning if possible.

If you have an open field near you and a 50ft leash get a flirt pole and wear her out with that. My dogs get worn out after 30min of flirt pole.

You can get a long horse whip and tie a fluffy toy on the end or you can make one with some rope and a PVC pipe - I have both :)

Just tie the 50ft leash to a tree and have her chase the whip with the toy. Or if she likes fetch that is a great way to burn energy!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
2 mile walk/jog isn't very much, that takes you 30 min tops. I would try to do 2 miles in the AM and 2 miles in the PM. Maybe take her swimming during the day if you have any local spot close to you without gators of course (haha) i'm in Houston TX so we have em too and i'm always scared of that. Maybe invest in a treadmill for the apartment you can put her on to burn some energy. But yea 2 miles isn't enough, also you can play games with her in the apt to keep her mentally stimulated. They sell a ton of interactive treat dispensing toys at pet stores that will keep her occupied, also play hide and seek with treats around the house (one of my favs) you can also fill a kong with frozen peanut butter or give her an antler to curb boredom.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Maybe you could try this
Or with a bike (bikejoring) many vid's on you tube, just search.

Here a vid with a Husky in florida
Just a few examples, and if this all isn't working....well then give him tranquilizers LOL

·
Registered
200 Posts
I'm in central CA, where it hit 103* today. My gang gets a 2 mile walk at dawn, and another in the evening when it starts to cool down. To wear them out in the middle of the day, if I'm home, we practice obedience inside. Nothing wears a dog out like having to maintain a down / stay (even when the cat walks past!). Get their brains really working and they'll zonk out in no time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts