Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So its summer almost here in michigan . I want to work out lol So I figured a good way would be to do it with Izzo . I already hand walk 3 miles a day , and use the flirt pole .. what are other things I can do with her that will keep me moving too ? also what type of food do you use while conditioning and why ?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I feed the best grain-free kibble I can get. For us, its Nature's Variety Instinct. I also add a lot of raw, particularly as we're coming up on a show.

I like to switch up the exercise to keep Terra from getting dull. Flirtpole and springpole are big staples. Fetch, too. Hand-walking of course. I also run her next to a bike, or at least I did until she wrecked us going after a cat and I screwed up my elbow pretty bad. (One day I will get protective gear so I can get back on that horse without fear.) Too much cardio can make a dog look flat, so I like to throw in a workout with weights (ie, drag sled) a few days a week.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I feed the best grain-free kibble I can get. For us, its Nature's Variety Instinct. I also add a lot of raw, particularly as we're coming up on a show.

I like to switch up the exercise to keep Terra from getting dull. Flirtpole and springpole are big staples. Fetch, too. Hand-walking of course. I also run her next to a bike, or at least I did until she wrecked us going after a cat and I screwed up my elbow pretty bad. (One day I will get protective gear so I can get back on that horse without fear.) Too much cardio can make a dog look flat, so I like to throw in a workout with weights (ie, drag sled) a few days a week.
I would love to incorporate weight into our routine but do not know the proper way to do so .. maybe I could get some advice in how to from you ? =D

Also I feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness as of right now , and she does really well on it . She doesn't get many none veggie treats other then dehydrated meat during training . Is this a good regimen .. Also I was wondering on things I could add that are natural to her food to help her be at her best .. She eats grain free because when she is on a grain food , her coat becomes very dry and she gets very bloated and gassy so I just stay away from it lol

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
The same food they eat when not conditioning, Orijen. Excellent quality ingredients and high protein make it excellent for conditioning. I dont believe in constantly switching brands of dog food, instead i occasionally switch from 6 fish to regional red to give them different protein sources.
While dog food quality can play a part in conditioning your dog it is really going to depend mostly on genetics.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I feed EVO good stuff some dog's don't do well on high protein kibbles just depends on the dog. But mine do ok on EVO. Orijen is good as well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The same food they eat when not conditioning, Orijen. Excellent quality ingredients and high protein make it excellent for conditioning. I dont believe in constantly switching brands of dog food, instead i occasionally switch from 6 fish to regional red to give them different protein sources.
While dog food quality can play a part in conditioning your dog it is really going to depend mostly on genetics.
Lol I tried orijen and believe it or not Izzo would not touch it . I tried it for three days straight without giving her here blue wilderness and nothing , but the fourth day I put her wilderness down in the morning and she mowed it .. I dont know . there is just something about orijen she doesn't like . I can get that cheap here too but if she wont eat it theres no point in me trying lol ..

She does really well on high protein so I think I want to keep it that way . I have been looking into evo though .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts