Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so Odin's food obsession is getting to the point of annoying. its great for most training cuz u can bribe him with any kind of food to do any thing. but i know fo no begging u dont really want to use food, right? i taught him "out" for when we are in the kitchen, its just all the other times. he was begging the other day when my BF was getting tums. lol. suggestions anyone?

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
I have a bed for him that I train him to go whenever I need him too, if we are eating or someone is at the door. Start training that, I don't mind the drooling/begging as long as its not right up on me at my table, lol. Mel figured it out though and now he just knows if he sits near the table and not on my feet I wont send him away.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
I have a bed for him that I train him to go whenever I need him too, if we are eating or someone is at the door. Start training that, I don't mind the drooling/begging as long as its not right up on me at my table, lol. Mel figured it out though and now he just knows if he sits near the table and not on my feet I wont send him away.
must spread rep ..........

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Ames. ill try that. i guess im just remembering my ex's dog, when he said no begging, she would turn and walk away. but the stay might work for what i need too.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
HAHA thanks Firehazard

Mel used to do that, lol but I was so lax I didnt enforce it so he doesnt slink away all sad anymore. Hey you could name his bed "no begging" if it makes you feel better ;) lol

Mel's bed he goes to is named NASA cause when I say go to bed I mean go to my room and get ready for bed. I tell him to go to NASA, you could train him "no begging" means go to his bed lol.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I taught Beastley "turn" now when he starts to beg I say "turn". He will turn in the other direction with his back to us. I want to laugh sometimes because every once in awhile you can see him peeking but his back is still turned in the opposite direction. When we are done eating I tell him good dog and give him a treat.

·
Registered
223 Posts
My dad taught the wiener dog horrible table manners. And now their dog has stomach ulcers and tons more problems from being fed people food. Now I have to train my dad and pup that he doesn't get people food. If I see my dad make a move towards giving my pup anything I yell at him. Jaws will sit on the floor by the table and watch, but I dont need him to learn to whine and bark like my parents dog. So I find that when we eat It's just easier to give him a treat of his own, usually a dental stick or a chicken flavored edible dog bone. If neither my dad nor Jaws behaves then Jaws gets to wait outside until everyone is done eating.
Normally the begging starts when being fed too much food, treats or even given people food. Another thing you can try is to feed your dog at the same time you eat dinner. This might possibly help with begging at dinnertime problems. But maybe try cutting back on the treats when training. I try to train without treats to much, I'll have Jaws do a command and every other time or so that he does it then he gets a treat. But I wont give him a treat every time. Im slowly weaning him off the treats XP

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Great reply Ames I do the same with every dog. Ryan did this with the bulldogs as well. We use a blanket and we call it his "spot" when ever we eat or need him out of the way we tell him spot and have him lay down. I also do "face down" cause I can't stand him staring at me and drooling lol. Once we're done Ill tell him good boy and give him a treat but he knows not to get up untill Ryan or I say "free dog" :)

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great reply Ames I do the same with every dog. Ryan did this with the bulldogs as well. We use a blanket and we call it his "spot" when ever we eat or need him out of the way we tell him spot and have him lay down. I also do "face down" cause I can't stand him staring at me and drooling lol. Once we're done Ill tell him good boy and give him a treat but he knows not to get up untill Ryan or I say "free dog" :)
Yeah I need to work on it. See if I can get him to stay when food is around. He is such a scavenger. I swear he recalls faster when we open the fridge than when I call him. I don't give him people food, but my BF does. But when it comes down to dinner time he doesn't like odin begging either so I think I can train them both lol.

Reactions: EckoMac

·
Super Moderator
4,616 Posts
Ecko is told get out, and mat. If he is still looking, I say head down and he puts his head down. Ecko is all about pleasing me when we are in the house. Outside, whole other story.
My Mom's dog, who used to be mine and I trained. When she begged I would say "what are you looking at" and she would look away. Kinda cute, but she didn't actually go away, just stopped looking.

Ames, I love that you name Mel's beds. LOL!

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Yea spot is a good one :) It works for all kinds of stuff. We used it to teach him to stay off the couch as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts